Timing Belt Noise

Apostle

Jun 3, 2007
Philly
Well I had a noise coming from my timing belt area so I took off all the belts to rule out it was any of those, and the noise was still there, which meant it had to do something with the timing belt. So I went off and replaced both the water pump and timing belt. Drove it around for about and hour or two happy to know the noise was gone, but then slowly the noise started to come back :aigo: I'm furious and stuck here. I think it might have something to do with the tensioner. But I want input on you guys because I know someone out there has had the same issue. Thanks.

Oh and btw when I installed the belt it was aligned in the middle of the pulleys, now it seems to be rolling off the edge again like the old belt I had on, that's what could be causing the noise, perhaps its rubbing on something. Here's a pic.

p1185878_1.jpg

88mk3turbo

Jan 25, 2009
lynn mass
Supraboy89;1185947 said:
its prob the tensioner. they will make a whining sound

I changed my belt,tensioner,and tensioner spring and its still whines at idle sometimes and squealing while driving.especially when cold??any ideas

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
Check the metal washer on back of the timing belt drive gear, sometimes the weld breaks and the belt will walk.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
IwantMKIII;1233201 said:
its possible you are over tensioning the belt.

yea thats very likely. once the belt is lined up, you just loosen the tensioner bolt, then torque it to spec... never ever overtighten it.