Time to Revive - 7Mbuild-up

supramike91

Oct 27, 2014
CT
Thought it was about time I went into detail about the car.. Received it 5 years ago from my old boss, who knew I had an 87 NA at the time.. He pretty much ended up giving it to me after some punks came by his house when everyone happened to be away and stole parts out of the car. He sat on it for a little and then I came in. Took it home cleaned it up restored a few of the stolen parts and it started right up. Something wasn't quite right because white smoke was coming from everywhere it seemed. I bought a compression tester and went to work. Realized piston 5 or 6 had barely any compression at all. So then began the tear down, mind you it took me awhile(early 20s, school, fun, living arrangements, etc) anyways found love for her recently after visiting a couple countries and basically realizing I had something nice and I truly have a love for driving.

I went with stock pistons overbored .50 over and stock hg, arp head studs, wasn't looking for crazy hp goals at the time and still the same approach.. I'd be very happy with around 300hp for awhile so lets see how that goes.. previous owner had bought some nice bolt-ons help to bring us to that number, such as..

-3in full RSR exhaust
-550cc RC injectors
-lexus AFM
-AFPR
-wideband 02 sensor
- apexi intake

oh stolen parts were as follows
-stock ECU
-AFPR
-other side of wideband(non exhaust side)

parts I've bought along the way
-spec st2 clutch(originally for the 87 but didn't quite catch the r154 only, stoked I can use it now lol)
-BOV
-fuel cell(ebay)
-upgraded oil pump
-waterpump
-new belts
-walbro 255 intank(before I realized my tank was shot.. pretty sure I can make something up for that)

All day today was spent doing research and searching up future parts and expenses.. boy I never truly did understand what money pit truly meant!

I've been looking into tunes and such recently, and figured I'd go with a piggyback system. Today I decided to call API tuning in Yonkers, NY. Jerry is a good guy, so much info on piggybacks and standalones. I was already reading about it yesterday and today but there is just too much into it lol. He's 80% convinced me to go standalone. He gave good points as to why and I'm not opposed at all. Just kinda expensive.. but she's definitely worth it, plus I kinda owe her..

The goal is to have her up and running this month, so I have my work cut out for me. But I know I can get it done. I need to order a few parts and figure out what I'll do with oil gasket. My bud says I should hit up this pool spot he used to work at that had o rings in every imaginable size, so I'll be doing that once I get the chance.

Some pics for ya

20170504_022655000_iOS.jpg

at new home dirty and all

20170504_022728000_iOS.jpg

evidence

20170504_022617000_iOS.jpg

partially at blame.. this took my mind off the supra when I should of been building it.. this car was mean as hell. b20z block w a b18 vtec head and a bunch of other goodies gave this monster 240hp and I think around 230tq. I miss the sound of that vtec

Last edited: