Time For The Single/Stinger

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Well it's about that time, after gathering parts and making some decisions on what I want out of the supra for now the single upgrade is under way. Took a little time to get things started as I'm doing everything at my school, which will allow me use of a dyno for full tuning purposes as well:evil2:! I'll try to keep this updated frequently but here's whats going on so far...My first Base dyno pull of 352rwhp 388rwtq at a 11.5 A/F with the old setup...600rwhp goal

Parts List:
GT4088r BB
T4 Tubular Manifold
3" V-Band DP
Tial Gate and Dump
Tial Q BOV
680cc Top Feed Siemens
Top Feed Rail
Aermotive AFPR
BC 264 Cams
Stinger Standalone

Started earlier this week with getting the bitch twins off, with the engine out of the car it wasn't much easier than with it in.
p1298343_1.jpg

Intake Manifold and stockers out..Look at that room:icon_bigg
p1298343_2.jpg

I started with the turbo side to see if I had turbo clearance issues, no issues other than I'll need a 90* coupler to come off the turbo to clear the strut tower.

Manifold bought from a member on here.
p1298343_3.jpg

Installing Turbine housing to initiate clocking the bad boy:naughty:
p1298343_4.jpg

Not too time consuming and the turbos on..
p1298343_5.jpg

I got all that settled made sure the DP would fit, fitted the feed line but still need to make the SS line for the return. I then wanted to start the fuel side make sure all the lines would fit for the regulator and rail. I also took the casting lines out of the lower runners to maybe help with some airflow.

Rail w/ Injectors test fit to run lines..
p1298343_6.jpg

So I started everything Tuesday getting 4 hours of class time to work on it and everything is going smooth. When I was just figuring out the routing of the fuel lines I noticed I was short a couple fittings and that's where I stand right now. Gonna head out now to get those things then head out to class, hopefully to continue on with the project.

No problems as of yet, but I'll be crossing my fingers for a smooth upgrade:sarcasm:. I'll have some more pics tonight, I didn't get as many as I'd like yet.

Last edited:

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
zSP3CTERz;1298434 said:
thing is going to be a beast...engine bay looks kinda like you went mudding :biglaugh:

I sure hope so, haha yeah no thanks to PA the apt I'm at is a dusty/rocky road:3d_frown::3d_frown:

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
cbutler;1298487 said:
Class time to work on the 1jz....I'm jealous!

Yeah it's definitely nice, I have everything readily available which is nice. I wouldn't mind finding a 1J or 2J head and doing some flow bench testing and a little cc'ing to see what I cna get out of either one for later on:aigo:.

86_sports_1jz;1298570 said:
sweet set up, how much boost was that on?

Thanks it was at 18psi the stock twins just couldn't do anymore for me.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
So I got a good amount done this last week, pretty much everything is in just have to do some final welding and fitment of some things:aigo:.

The compressor housing ended up being a pita in terms of clearance, took a while to find where I was gonna place it, I got that location now just need to weld a 90* elbow on it to ease intercooler pipe routing. I'm also welding some pipes together for the intercooler to eliminate some couplers.

Other than those things I need to make more of my exhaust as the DP I have doesn't come close to my exhaust, which shouldn't be a big issue as I have to flanges ready to go just need to find an exhaust or metal pipe shop around here.

Progress pics...

Bad pic but here's where I removed the casting lines from the intake bath in each runner..
p1302112_1.jpg

And the runners with the new rail and injectors on..
p1302112_2.jpg

New fuel lines ran and FPR in place..
p1302112_3.jpg

p1302112_4.jpg

WG and dump from down under..
p1302112_5.jpg

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
And I had to re clock the turbo to get better clearance and not heat the shit out of my intake charge..
p1302118_1.jpg

Quick look with the intake pipe on..then compressor back off to weld the elbow
p1302118_2.jpg

p1302118_3.jpg

Then started at the cams pulled the valve covers out and got the old cams out, at the moment I'm in the middle of micing all the shims to make sure every cylinder lift will be the same and I just received the new cams today so I'll be able to continue on with checking clearances to try and start buttoning things up as far as under the hood.

p1302118_4.jpg

p1302118_5.jpg

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
10secdream;1303014 said:
What fitting is that to connect to the stock fuel hardline?

It ended up being the wrong one, I got all the fittings from the DM afpr and rail kit, if you're familiar. I ended up having to weld two fittings together to get a seal as the ones I received wouldn't work, I'll have to get a pic up later.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
So this is how everything stands as of Friday almost done. Well Thursday night everything got buttoned up and went to switch the power on, fuel pump primed but pissed a good quarter of a tank out the fitting shown in the previous pic:aigo:. I had to modify that fitting with the old factory one that threaded into the hard line (welded them together). Heres some more pics...

New cams installed after doing clearancing checks and moving some shims around...
p1304311_1.jpg

p1304311_2.jpg

Pipes all welded, bov flange on/re-assembly...
p1304311_3.jpg

p1304311_4.jpg

p1304311_5.jpg

That all finally got done Friday after searching and searching for fittings anywhere around blairsville to no avail, I'm not a big fan of the small town it takes a while to get things you need:3d_frown:.

Anyways....the leak was fixed by the modified fitting(I'll get a pic up when I can). It was then time to get the laptop connecting to the stinger, nothing worked. I decided to check and see if power was getting to the ecu, sure enough nothing, which really confuses me as I haven't touched the harness besides soldering in the new injectors:confused:.

I got to testing the circuit, tracing the power wire for the ecu. To make a diag story short I narrowed it down to I'm loosing voltage at the fuse box, I need to take a look at the wiring diagram.

...Theres a 5 pin connector, I believe it's 5 that plugs into the underside of the fuse box...pic below the far connector on the left with the black/red power wire for the ecu..it's underneath the MAIN fuse on the driver side of the fuse box...
p1304311_6.jpg

Basically I'm getting power to two white and possibly a brown wire I believe(kinda dirty). They share that same connector and I'm not getting power out to the black/red wire which goes on to feed the rest of the circuit with power, through the EA2 connector which connects to the main engine harness. If I put a direct 12v to that wire in that connector for the fuse box I can get power to the ecu plug in the car, so theres no open in the engine harness.

Any insight on that? Also the TEL fuse doesn't show any voltage going through it(fuse is good too), what circuit exactly is that fuse for? Anyways if anyone has had a similar problem and could chime in that'd be great otherwise I'm gonna get at some wiring diagrams and figure this shiat out:naughty:.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
you think you can take pics of that fuel fitting you modified? i got one too that i might need to modify

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
86_sports_1jz;1305260 said:
you think you can take pics of that fuel fitting you modified? i got one too that i might need to modify

Here it is, I cut the fitting off the pressure line from the stock hard feed line that goes to the fuel damper and welded it to the largest I believe it's about a -10 fitting. I received it with the DM AFPR kit it's a male/female fitting, it's the fitting in the pic earlier in this thread. It worked very well and sealed everything up.
p1305601_1.jpg

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
did you weld the fitting with it attached to the rail? :D j/k, that turbo looks pretty spectacular. any closeups of your elbow attached to the compressor housing? looks like some damn good welding.