Time for struts...any low budget mods to consider?

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
Well, my struts (most likely OEM) are completely shot all the way around. Since sport driving is just flat out dangerous when your car handles like a Crown Vic, I hope to be replacing them soon. Yes, I know coilovers are the way to go but I'm on a budget and quite frankly the car isn't worth dropping $800 in suspension upgrades into. However, being the teenage car enthusiast I am, I would be willing to sacrifice a smooth ride if I could take corners significantly quicker for an extra hundred or two hundred (Max) bucks.

The car is an 89 n/a without TEMS. Now I hate spring cutting as much as the next guy, but if I was to buy much stiffer than OEM struts and very carefully cut the springs to lower it say 1" up front and .5" in back, could I get away with it. Yes, I know eibach makes lowering springs but like I said, I'm on a budget. Even if I leave my springs alone, what struts would you guys recommend (a top 3 list would be awesome for pricing purposes)? the car is a daily that experiences a lot of crappy ILL roads, and now and then against my will it gets loaded with 3-4 passengers (not too common). I'm looking for struts that will maximize performance and stand up to some abuse. Thanks guys.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Do NOT cut the springs. Its dangerous and will NOT enhance the ride or handling. If you can't afford 250 for springs then just leave it be. :)

KGB gr2, tokico blues and a couple others are good affordable options. I'll be doing eibach and tokico blues at some point.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
suprarx7nut;1908810 said:
Do NOT cut the springs. Its dangerous and will NOT enhance the ride or handling. If you can't afford 250 for springs then just leave it be. :)

KGB gr2, tokico blues and a couple others are good affordable options. I'll be doing eibach and tokico blues at some point.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

What this guy said. As far as lowering, don't cut the springs. What I did but I don't necessarily recommend ist use carriage bolts to clamp a few coils together. It's worked alright for me and the ride is almost the same but again why not throw some eibach springs on while you have them out.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Top 3?

3 KYB GR-2/Tokico Blue (both OEM suppliers and both about the same)

2 Bilstein

1 Coilovers :rofl:

People will argue back and forth about the tokico and KYB's, but I've been in both and it's not possible to tell the difference (unless it's a TEMS car with Tokico Illumina's in it)

spoolme

supra4umsfreak
May 9, 2005
Roswell, NM
buy some stock springs from a 91-92 supra and that will lower it 1" all around and then just get some tokico blues. done

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
suprarx7nut;1908810 said:

Completely agree

Just 2 cents from my experience
when I bought my first supra the Po had cut the springs... I knew I would need to buy new ones because of this but
I didn't realize how bad cut springs were until I went over a speed bump.... The rear springs fell off/over the spring perches, causing the rear end to drop dramatically... Due to increased camber I had no traction making an interesting drive home in the rain.... I had to jack up my car and put the springs back where they belonged

I hate to imagine what would have happened had I been going around a corner or hit a pothole in the road then gone around a corner without realizing what happened.....

Long story short.... Not a good idea

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
spoolme;1908969 said:
buy some stock springs from a 91-92 supra and that will lower it 1" all around and then just get some tokico blues. done
I like this idea a lot. I will probably do that.

On a side note, there's not a chance that the same Tokicos were used on TEMS and non TEMS Supras and short term I could try manually stiffening them till I get some that aren't blown is there?

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
jdmfreak;1908975 said:
Completely agree

Just 2 cents from my experience
when I bought my first supra the Po had cut the springs... I knew I would need to buy new ones because of this but
I didn't realize how bad cut springs were until I went over a speed bump.... The rear springs fell off/over the spring perches, causing the rear end to drop dramatically... Due to increased camber I had no traction making an interesting drive home in the rain.... I had to jack up my car and put the springs back where they belonged

I hate to imagine what would have happened had I been going around a corner or hit a pothole in the road then gone around a corner without realizing what happened.....

Long story short.... Not a good idea

thanks. I know I will definitely not be cutting the springs now after hearing that. Haha

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
You can get Kyb gr2 for like 150 all 4 shipped to your house from Rockauto.com and that would make a world of a difference coming from blown oem shocks.

Use this code for 5% off 1266296310214368

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
chris_u_diaz;1909067 said:
You can get Kyb gr2 for like 150 all 4 shipped to your house from Rockauto.com and that would make a world of a difference coming from blown oem shocks.

Use this code for 5% off 1266296310214368

I seriously might do that. How stiff are those compared to stock (not blown).

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
hey...it runs;1909093 said:
I seriously might do that. How stiff are those compared to stock (not blown).

The only people that can honestly answer this are people who have replaced their old stockers with factory OEM componets. Even if your 20 year old suspension isn't blown, its not the same as when it rolled off the showroom. Generally people who get KYB's or tokiko's say its a bit stiffer than stock (compared to 20 year old stuff IDK).
I say that would be the best bang for the buck though.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
I liked my gr2/eibach combo a lot (over worn out tems and cut springs) lol cheap, better, lower, can't complain...... But have nothing to compare it to

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
hey...it runs;1908997 said:
thanks. I know I will definitely not be cutting the springs now after hearing that. Haha

You're a smart man. :)

I was thinking Tokico's for myself because I was under the impression the KYB GR2's were designed as a factory replacement and that they may not play well with lowering springs. I wonder if there's any truth to that. If not, going with GR2's would save a pretty penny...

Decisions, decisions...

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
suprarx7nut;1909144 said:
You're a smart man. :)

I was thinking Tokico's for myself because I was under the impression the KYB GR2's were designed as a factory replacement and that they may not play well with lowering springs. I wonder if there's any truth to that. If not, going with GR2's would save a pretty penny...

Decisions, decisions...
Haha thanks. Yeah I might have to price compare the tokicos vs. The KYB's. I drive some nasty Rockford IL. roads and I'd had to start messing up components because I wanted to lower it an inch or so. I think I'm going to be very happy when this is done from the sounds of it.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I am running GR2's and Eibachs right now and it feels good. I haven't had stock suspension in a long time but I would say this would surely be a little stiffer than stock, most likely because of the springs, but the ride is definitely softer than the coilovers I had. I feel like the coilovers gave me a lot better feel around corners (not nearly as much body roll) but for a daily driver I prefer the GR2's with Eibachs.

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
CyFi6;1909177 said:
I am running GR2's and Eibachs right now and it feels good. I haven't had stock suspension in a long time but I would say this would surely be a little stiffer than stock, most likely because of the springs, but the ride is definitely softer than the coilovers I had. I feel like the coilovers gave me a lot better feel around corners (not nearly as much body roll) but for a daily driver I prefer the GR2's with Eibachs.
Exactly the answer to what I was wondering. Just for clarification I'm assuming that you're talking about the Eibach lowering springs that drop it 1.5" in the front and 1 in the rear? Or does Eibach make OEM replacements? And does anyone have any idea on how 91-92 springs would do being an inch lower?

Lots of good feedback and info here. Thanks guys.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
It looks like everyone is saying the same thing. If you have very little money just replace the struts with some brand mew ones. Yes the car will not be lowered. But you can safey drive the car. Oh how did the stock supra handle. Well in the day the magazines compared the MKIII to cars like the 928s, jag xj12, corvette and so on. I guess for a stock car not to bad.