Time Attack JZA80

Get_Smart

Jan 17, 2016
Sunshine state
G'day all,

Just been granted access to the forums so thought I'd transfer my build thread into here: bear with me

Original platform
Mark2 supra manual with cheap carrett single conversion, microtech and front mount, alloy radiator, qsc shocks, front and rear cusco strut braces, 044 pump, external swirl pot, hks fuel rail, 850cc injectors, 3.5inch dump, chinese wastegate

My changes
4/2 trd brakes, dba slotted rotors
A048 semi slicks
Precision 6765 - 0.84rear
Apexi avc-r - 1 bar boost
100k service
50mm tial wastegate with screamer
Sparco race seats
Quick spool valve

Results baseline:
312kw at 14.7psi - baseline mixture check

As I got her:

PLErIe9.jpg

Get_Smart

Jan 17, 2016
Sunshine state
Then I thought we should make her safe so pulled the drive line out, someone slipped and stuck this in creating work for me to do.

JgcuKCp.jpg

If I never see a sander again it will be too soon.

VgBVCTa.jpg

uehuuKw.jpg

Last edited:

Get_Smart

Jan 17, 2016
Sunshine state
Around this time I became distracted by my toy-merc.

Which lasted several months until she tried to kill me at the track one night. RIP toy-merc
NvBCboq.jpg

Get_Smart

Jan 17, 2016
Sunshine state
Final Assembly. 3.4Litre, new valve train with cut and ground valves.

Port matched inlet for equal flow rates on every cylinder (flow rates on stock head indicated that the some of the cylinders were getting up to 10% variation in flow (not good when you're not tuning by cylinder!).

Port matched exhaust, spool rods, cp hats, billet mains, arp headstuds, girdle etc.
zb9tUl9.jpg

zTlTcXs.jpg

gga30eW.jpg

jgjjcZ3.jpg

Get_Smart

Jan 17, 2016
Sunshine state
So while this was all going on I was busy prepping and sorting the cage out.

I'm 6'1" and not exactly a ballerina so there was much swearing and carrying on as well as plenty of rejuvenating massage required from my nopics who was none too happy about my exploits, including paint covered work gear in the wash...

Oj5qmoS.jpg

MVKv5tc.jpg

KAN0npP.jpg

0WMg1tG.jpg

Get_Smart

Jan 17, 2016
Sunshine state
I went with an haltech ps2000, the JDM supras weren't released in Australia and are all imports, so they have the mandated Japanese 180km/h speed limiters but most annoyingly, all have a 180km/h limited dash cluster. I tossed up buying a full TRD cluster but people wanted crack money for them and so I used the extra to specify the iq3 dash so I don't need any additional gauges or alarms. This is a temp fitment whilst I have a mount fabricated.

tMQRGO3.jpg

This isn't a dyno queen and will see a lot of road type events and some Street driving. The direct clutch team in Brisbane Australia built this twin plate clutch rated at 800hp and lightened and matched the flywheel to suit.

It is very light and except for the rattle can you'd never know it was a performance clutch.
Jibo8Dv.jpg

9FefB1F.jpg

Get_Smart

Jan 17, 2016
Sunshine state
The new dash in, I was ready for the engineer to sign off the modifications, as Australian police are amongst the worst in the world for harassing modified car owners.
W44KpQ3.jpg

ZJqCQf4.jpg

Woohoo, all legal!

dvu9cia.jpg

Get_Smart

Jan 17, 2016
Sunshine state
Back in my hands again, great feeling, and she is a monster on the street.

I came across these rays te37 time attack wheels from a mate with a gtr. They are 18x9.5 fr and 18x10 rear but unfortunately the rears are a terrible offset and I can only fit 255s on them, which means zero traction in any gear, so they will be sold :-(

9zhuMHl.jpg

Get_Smart

Jan 17, 2016
Sunshine state
Spent a bit more time on getting some coverings into the rear so it didn't look like a flat Brimmers drift pig. A trimmer I am not, however I'm happier that it will pass the 'cared for' not 'junker' casual inspection of the local constabulary in the case that they take an interest.
yOlWxGo.jpg

CadgX85.jpg

ZtGwoG5.jpg

Also sorted the fuel system.

Id2000s
Aeromotive a1000
Aeromotive filter
Aeromotive fpr
E85 compatible braided fuel and return
Bunch of speedflow to keep up with the joneses

n3zUbAY.jpg

Last edited:

Get_Smart

Jan 17, 2016
Sunshine state
A mate of mine was running a dyno test n tune day and promised me fringe benefits, so I brought her out and topped the tank with fresh e85 and got to about e70 and on the same tune she ran a bit more than last time. It is out of turbo though. This is an Australian dyno so I don't know if that makes sense to your guys experience in the us but she will head up to 27psi but flatlines down to 24psi. For the track we only run 19psi anyway, but it's interesting nonetheless.

6YDTwu9.jpg

ulHI8t1.jpg

2lr4FHS.jpg

Get_Smart

Jan 17, 2016
Sunshine state
About this time I started having some random hot start issues. The car had only done about 800kms at this stage and the ECU had used a PNP loom. However, there had been a few auto sparkies play with it when we got it ready for the first start up so I took it to a close mate of mine who had some downtime from his normal job.

I started looking at the hot cranking but kept finding things I had to fix before continuing. I wouldn't have normally bothered fixing as it wasn't my scope, but on a car this serious, even a minor problem could cause a lot of bad things to happen (ie oil filter).

First thing which jumped out at me was the fuel reg. It was attached by one bolt and two zip ties. The return line was a hydraulic crimp fitting, which has very little "barb" to keep the line on. The fuel pressure sensor was also fit with a 1/8th union for some reason, perhaps to offset it from the reg, but it was also horizontal. This means it was supported pretty average, but then also if the engine shifted forward after a bump, it was likely to snap off.

ghLRxZ7.jpg

ZxUHO5p.jpg

I happen to have a 90 I used for the gauge, and picked up a dash 6 straight to 6 AN then just a 3/8th barb elbow. Neat(er) and secure. I will make up a alloy mount for it before it goes out.

46TC7Mp.jpg

Then I was about to play with the ECU and the hot start, and I saw this.

It was sliced straight through, holes galore and there was no retainer plate so the M6 bolts were straight on to blown out rubber leaving a really nice 1" gaping hole around the whole boot. Plenty of cabin fumes, noise and flames were able to get in if they wished.

ssbi39B.jpg

I then used a rubber repairer (loctite) and patched it up, and then knocked up a new retainer to try keep the E85 out of the cabin. It looks a great deal better. The pre-impregnated CF sheet was put to good use.

XCI7ji9.jpg

I then went in the cabin to get to the ECU to troubleshoot, and found this :) Long story short, I have spent about 15 hours just tidying things, and trying to make it more reliable as an engine and electronic package. I suspect I could spend another 15 though, but it's getting there.

WEccuWP.jpg

rwd897b.jpg

CtwyAWn.jpg

7wlVHod.jpg

The first thing I told DJ when I drove it months ago, was that it NEEDS an idle valve with this setup. A big throttle body, cams, tight engine and huge injectors really makes it hard to get civil without some form of idle control. If I didn't get a valve, I was going to setup ignition idle control at very least.

I fit this, but still need to get a solid state relay because the limited current ability of haltechs.

azOFA3S.jpg

OjoQxFh.jpg

Last edited: