ticking noise problem.

wchico15

BoOoSt
Jul 18, 2007
Florida
ok so i replaced my plugs/wires put everything back together, she started up after giving her some gas. i keep driving and it feels way better then before. but when i stop to check the engine (at idle) i can hear a ticking noise coming from the right valve cover. im thinking it might be an injector clip or something else. now i keep driving her and whenever i give her gas in 2nd or 3rd,4th,etc it feels like the clutch is slipping. i replaced the clutch a few thousand miles ago and i had it bleeded out and adjusted,so i dont think its the clutch. plus this problem only happens after driving her for awhile, at first start up, everything is fine except for the ticking noise. i think that whatever is ticking is effecting the whole problem. im gonna try and post a video up so you guys can see wat im dealing with.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
wchico15 said:
ok so i replaced my plugs/wires put everything back together, she started up after giving her some gas. i keep driving and it feels way better then before. but when i stop to check the engine (at idle) i can hear a ticking noise coming from the right valve cover. im thinking it might be an injector clip or something else. now i keep driving her and whenever i give her gas in 2nd or 3rd,4th,etc it feels like the clutch is slipping. i replaced the clutch a few thousand miles ago and i had it bleeded out and adjusted,so i dont think its the clutch. plus this problem only happens after driving her for awhile, at first start up, everything is fine except for the ticking noise. i think that whatever is ticking is effecting the whole problem. im gonna try and post a video up so you guys can see wat im dealing with.
The ticking could just be the valve lash needs adjusted, or if the oil changes had been negelicted sticking lifters. Does the ticking sound single or mutiple? You could pull one plug wire off one at a time to narrow down the problem cylinder.
Have you checked around the bottom of the bellhousing to see if you have any oil, tranny fluid dripping? Rear main or front tranny seal leaking could cause the slipping clutch.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Stupid question, any fuel leaking anywhere you can tell? Drive it around the block or something then park it(engine off) and look for fuel around the rail/injectors.

I had an odd ticking and weird feel while driving one time. Turned out an injector o-ring was leaking air at idle, fuel while driving.

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
my car started out having a light tick and then it turned into rod knock about 4 months later. it never got louder so i figured it was just valve ticking because i when my head was rebuilt the shop kinda messed up. but i changed the oil one time and drove it to school and it got way louder and deeper sounding. so be careful and be sure its not rod knock

st2b

Banned
Sep 15, 2006
Versailles (Lex) Ky
www.myspace.com
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it can also be an exhaust leak..

To check, let it sit until completely cool, start it up and see if you can feel air (Keep hand about 2inches away) coming from the manifold or Y-pipe.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
st2b said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it can also be an exhaust leak..

To check, let it sit until completely cool, start it up and see if you can feel air (Keep hand about 2inches away) coming from the manifold or Y-pipe.
He said it was comming from the right valve cover.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
natedogr said:
my noise came from the valve covers at first but now it just kinda comes from everywhere and is real loud
A knocking sound?
I wouldn't drive it without finding out what it is. It could lead to more of a rebuild than you want. Can you isolate the noise? Can you hear it more from the bottom?

wchico15

BoOoSt
Jul 18, 2007
Florida
alright guys i took apart the y-pipe so i could have access to the right vavle cover. i took it off and looked inside. it seemed normal ,i doubled checkd my sparkplugs and spark plug number 4 has some coolent in it same with number 3 and and number 5,but number 4 was the worst. so i cleened it up ,put everything back together. made sure all my connections were secure and correct. i started it up and she sounded ok. now im driving to the store and she starts to missfire so i said its probally just a loose wire. i pull over to make sure everything was ok , i can see some coolent around the number 4 plug. i get back in the car and start it up and she still miss firing. i keep driving towards the store and then everything else just went wrong. the cars miss fire got worse more then ever before, then she just died. i pull over and decide to take apart the y-pipe so i can get to the spark plug #4 when i pull the wire i can see that the chamber is full of coolent so thats the cause of my miss fire. i try cleaning it up getting as much of the coolent out. and i find out theres some in surrounding chambers so i do the same. i once again put everthing else back together makeing sure my connections are secure and when i go to start it she just wont start. the engine turns and when i give it sum gas she'll fight to say alive but very very weak,and as soon as i let off the gas ..she dies. right now the car is stuck behind a gas station and i need to fix it quick before they tow it. i need your guys help FAST. im thinkin the coolent messed up the spark plug so i have to replace that. just let me know what you guys think.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Also, is there any differences at different RPM? I know that on my 87, the knock is so hearable...not sure if that is a word but yea, at 2000 rpm you just cant miss the knocking. Well, the bearin finally gave up on me. So, find out where it is really ticking/knocking and diagnose it before it is too late.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Make sure all of your vaccum lines are plug up and connect all the connectors. ANd DO clean out of all the coolant there. Try to start her again.

wchico15

BoOoSt
Jul 18, 2007
Florida
everything is connected and properly connected. my vacumm lines are secure. she'll start but very weakly as long as i give her gas and when i let off the pedal she just dies.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
wchico15 said:
everything is connected and properly connected. my vacumm lines are secure. she'll start but very weakly as long as i give her gas and when i let off the pedal she just dies.

Same problem when my injector o-ring was bad.

You have to isolate where the ticking is coming from like everyones said. Use a piece of heater hose to your ear and listen. You should be able to narrow it down better than just 'the right valve cover' or 'everywhere'.

Get someone to tow the car back home for you, even if its real ghetto chained behind a truck.