Tial BOV causing brief compressor surge...how to remedy?

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
I've had my Tial BOV since I bought the car, and it was originally on the upper IC pipe right before the 3000 pipe. I would rarely hear any surge with this setup. Fast forward to now, and I have a new FFIM and just got the Tial mounted on the intercooler pipe right before the throttle body (about 8-10" before). I'm in the process of tuning my car on the new setup, and I'm noticing some brief compressor surge before it vents the pressure. It's done it from slight vacuum acceleration up to about ~6 psi (highest I've tried yet, still tuning). Here is what I've done/checked so far:

• I'm pulling high 19/20 inHg vacuum at warm idle
  • I verified, and it has the "unpainted" -18 to -21 inHg spring in it (assuming it's a Tial spring...it looks like it)
  • I have a dedicated vacuum line to the manifold a couple inches behind the throttle plate (no it's NOT ported vacuum :p)
  • I've disassembled and cleaned it. No improvement.
  • I've lined up the banjo bolt outlet with the vacuum hose fitting for more direct vacuum (you'll know what I mean if you have a Tial)

At 5-6 PSI, I hear 2-3 "chirps" of the turbo before it vents properly. I'm at a loss, and I don't really want to get the softer spring because I'd be afraid it would be open at idle. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
Dang dude idk. I pull same 19/20 vacuum at idle, but I don't have surge like you do. I'm sure someone else will chime in pretty soon.

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
You're never going to eliminate low boost surge completely with the large valve in a Tial. Contrary to common belief, surge from letting off the throttle is harmless unlike surge under acceleration.

Long story short, you'll be completely fine. This type of surge is completely fine and harmless!

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
MKIIISupraGuy;1688736 said:
Dang dude idk. I pull same 19/20 vacuum at idle, but I don't have surge like you do. I'm sure someone else will chime in pretty soon.
Do you use a Tial 50mm?

Alec;1688752 said:
You're never going to eliminate low boost surge completely with the large valve in a Tial. Contrary to common belief, surge from letting off the throttle is harmless unlike surge under acceleration.

Long story short, you'll be completely fine. This type of surge is completely fine and harmless!

I've seen plenty of setups where the Tial works great, even at low boost though. Can you elaborate on why the surge from throttle closing isn't harmful? I've read plenty of discussions on this, and I've heard both sides of the argument. Either way, if possible, I'd rather not subject the shaft in the turbo to that much load every time I shift. :)

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
lite surg is not to bad like noted

and if you wana fix it buya small bov and run it with the tail

i have tial and i have no issues

it's best to run your bov after the ic closest to the ic

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
I have a white spring (-9 psi) on order. Going to see if this helps at all. I'm OK with some flutter, it just sounds like it's surging pretty good even at ~5-8 psi (haven't tuned for more yet).

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You cant get surge from acceleration. It only happens when letting off the throttle when the air has nowhere to go.

I would try the softest spring.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Alec;1688752 said:

Is this true?? I'm fighting surge after I let off also (at high or low boost). Just wondering if I should even fix it?

Also, then what is the point of an anti surge housing on a turbo?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Seems more of an improper turbo setup than surge.

How would you get a turbo to make those nosies without any restrictions? You wouldnt.