Throttle stop screw adjustment

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
If this was out of adjustment, could it be the reason my car won't start now? It is something that I played with either shortly before it quit running, or right after it quit. As I said earlier, someone else had adjusted it before, and I was having idle problems, so I tried to see if adjusting it would help either my idle or get me started, I can't remember.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
No. When starting throttle body bypass air is provided by the ISCV, which stepped wide open on the previous engine shutdown just for that reason. That said it's imperative the throttle stop be set before any adjustments are made to the TPS. The order of adjustment is 1) throttle stop 2) TPS 3) Dashpot stop...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
sorry to thread jack but if i adjust the idle screw to the tsrm the linkage binds. any reasons behind this?

MacDaddy_J_420

I heart SM
Sep 5, 2007
Dalton, GA
I had a issue with the throttle stop screw a while back, after talking to a few toyota master techs that my dad knew from when he was a Snap-on dealer I opted to just buy a used throttle body with the screw set from factory still with the yellow paint on it. The screw is set from factory and not ment to be tampered with, if it is off your tps setting will be off so the vehicle will not know it is idling. This will cause issues also when you jump pins e1 and te1 to go in base timing it will cause the vehicle to not do so.

Last edited: