Throttle position sensor

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
*Edit* added some more info in the follow up posts below*
So I have a bad TPS, and picked one up at the local Vato-zone. When I went to install it, I noticed mine was clocked vertically, and the new one was horizontal. I know this can't work because the throttle tabs won't hit anything on the new one. Did I get a defect? Has this happened to anyone else?
Thanks

Last edited:

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
67rstbkt;1187717 said:
So I have a bad TPS, and picked one up at the local Vato-zone. When I went to install it, I noticed mine was clocked vertically, and the new one was horizontal. I know this can't work because the throttle tabs won't hit anything on the new one. Did I get a defect? Has this happened to anyone else?
Thanks
They gave you the turbo TPS.

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
O.K, I had them re-check the part #'s and this should be the correct part. I also found them online with pictures showing the nomn-turbo clocking, and it appears that I had the wrong one in the car. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the tabs behind the TPS have been tampered with. I loosened the screw and turned the tabs to match the new TPS. I then installed and adjusted it per TSRM. It now works, no more check engine light. But, another issue has surfaced; I noticed that the throttle was a little jerky before the new TPS, but now it's much worse. It's almost like there is a little slack in the cable, so when you depress the throttle slightly (1/8-1/4") there is no response, then response with a little neck snap. Any ideas on this? Is there a way to adjust the cable? Or do I need to mess with the TPS a little more?
Thanks

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
Allright, I figured it out. I just needed to adjust the lever on the throttle body which turns the TPS a little bit more so that I could get a better adjustment on the TPS. I still don't know why there was a turbo model TPS on the car. Anyway, all is better; no more jerkiness. Thanks :biglaugh: