Throttle body to Intake manifold gasket(pic added)

CATarga

May 22, 2008
Grass Valley, CA
When rebuilding my 7m I used the metal gasket that came w/the kit to replace the metal one that was on it. It is leaking and the bolts are torqued to the correct setting.

I don't remember if I sprayed it with copper coat or not. It is unlikely I did seeing how it isn't exposed to heat like the exhaust gasket is. Should I have used copper coat? Should I use paper gasket, or just some FIPG?

Last edited:

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
CATarga;1220377 said:
When rebuilding my 7m I used the metal gasket that came w/the kit to replace the metal one that was on it. It is leaking and the bolts are torqued to the correct setting.

I don't remember if I sprayed it with copper coat or not. It is unlikely I did seeing how it isn't exposed to heat like the exhaust gasket is. Should I have used copper coat? Should I use paper gasket, or just some FIPG?

i could've sworn that that gasket wasnt or shouldn't be metal, but i could be wrong. i might be thinking of something else. it was that paper type..or whatever that paperish material is.

did you make sure to clean the mating surfaces good?

i wouldnt use fipg as that shouldnt be needed for this gasket and its mainly just used for mating surfaces in relation to oil/coolant...fluid things.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
ive run without that gasket for about a month without any problems. i could just be lucky. just clean both surfaces good and use some fipg on the gasket for extra sealing.

CATarga

May 22, 2008
Grass Valley, CA
Both of the surfaces were clean, both looked like fresh aluminum when I reinstalled the T-body. I guess I will remove/reinstall it using some FIPG and see. If it leaks again, I will then make a paper gasket and try it again.

CATarga

May 22, 2008
Grass Valley, CA
The gasket kit came w/3 metal ones, two square and one rectangular, and no paper one that would have gone on the throttle body. I have never seen a metal one on an intake, but this is also my first turbo, so on the rebuild I just followed what had been used before. Since it appears that there shouldn't be a metal one I guess I wont re-use it and just make just make a paper one.

CATarga

May 22, 2008
Grass Valley, CA
Here is a pic of the 3 layer metal gasket.

It wouldn't have gone anywhere else but the t-body/intake.
I did find a cork gasket in the gasket kit that had the same bolt pattern, but only had a 1.25" diameter hole, and there would have been very little edging left after cutting it to match the t-body.

I went ahead and made a new one and used a very thin layer of sensor safe FIPG, shouldn't be an issue now.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
CATarga;1222051 said:
Here is a pic of the 3 layer metal gasket.

That is the same TB gasket I have always got when I've ordered it from the dealer.It's three layers of metal w/a neoprene seal around the opening.Only seen paper ones in my 5M motors.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
JDM or USDM motor? If it's JDM, or at least a JDM throttlebody, it'll leak, as there's only one vacuum port on the top of the TB. Ask me how I know. ;) LOL.

CATarga

May 22, 2008
Grass Valley, CA
It is a USDM motor as far as I know. When I pulled it down the block looked like it had never been touched, though the head was too clean to have been the original.

The t-body had two corresponding ports to the cut-outs of the gasket.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
my TB has a single port on the back. im pretty sure its a usdm TB (talking about the port for the pcv system). this the port you speak of shaeff?