throttle body selecting, which is the best for.....

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
on my 87 my goal is around 600-800 hp, building a summer toy, autocross assassin. this is the plan
i will be deleting the maf and going to vpc

now im going to a ffim but what size throttle body would be good for this hp range? ive read in the reading that fords tps work with the tccs, so a ford tb would be handy and easy to accuire at the bone yard. the q45 not so much,

im thinking 80 -85 mm would be perfect, but i want a 2nd opinion. as ill be driving this on the street to, so with the boost controller limiting boost and power, street perfomance may suffer with a 90 or bigger, but could be wrong. i do have a 101mm tb, and yes you read right, from a ls1 project that never got finished, new in box, but that thing is just retarddly massive.

!BsF+0sg!mk~$(KGrHqYH-CwEvF4U2iG0BL2elkc9wg~~_12.JPG

so let me know what im looking for, thoughts etc.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
something to think about 800+ even with the boost turned down will be a beast on the street.....also autocrossing w/ 800hp.... i add my own HAHA....

john

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
so 600-800 hp to much for autocross?? maybe ill just drag this one and autocross the mr2. so ok if im doing just drag what would be best then. flamesuit is on for the next replys

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
You're trying to accelerate a LOT of Mass from almost standstill (i.e.: Mk3) huge power is only going to go up in smoke, for autoX I'd shoot at a genuine 450rwhp depending on rubber allowed/budget.

With that in mind I used to make 550rwhp on a 68mm TB with good response.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
bioskyline;1649494 said:
no its been converted to speed densitity. :p

TCCS stock uses a variant of "speed density". It does not measure air mass, it calculates it, which is second best.

I was serious on the autocross, good luck. You have a solid suspension which masks the weight issue very well, but the laws of inertia still exist.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
bioskyline;1649285 said:
on my 87 my goal is around 600-800 hp, building a summer toy, autocross assassin. this is the plan
i will be deleting the maf and going to vpc

now im going to a ffim but what size throttle body would be good for this hp range? ive read in the reading that fords tps work with the tccs, so a ford tb would be handy and easy to accuire at the bone yard. the q45 not so much,

im thinking 80 -85 mm would be perfect, but i want a 2nd opinion. as ill be driving this on the street to, so with the boost controller limiting boost and power, street perfomance may suffer with a 90 or bigger, but could be wrong. i do have a 101mm tb, and yes you read right, from a ls1 project that never got finished, new in box, but that thing is just retarddly massive.

!BsF+0sg!mk~$(KGrHqYH-CwEvF4U2iG0BL2elkc9wg~~_12.JPG

so let me know what im looking for, thoughts etc.

I don't see a throttle body...

winsauce

they call me cotton jr
Sep 17, 2010
Dayton, OH
its a 7m so you dont have all the revs in the world, and im guessing its a bigger turbo so your looking hitting + manifold pressure @ what rpm... by the time you hook, its bout time to shift. how serious of an autox track are you looking @ running with?

personaly, id be worried more about tire compounds, dot 5 brake fluid, rotors & pads... and seasoned track rat knows you go faster with your brakes than you do with the gas. that being said have you ever boiled your brake fluid?
go out to the track brake boosting on the straights till your pedal feels like mush and try taking a hard turn with a late apex... after that you wont spend a cent more in the engine and youll be looking for a bbk, huge oil filter, and a cage...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
A good, solid, 300HP engine that's responsive is all you need for autox. Hell, most do it with far less. Most of the money needs to be going into the suspension for autox as it's about handling and not speed...

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
He already mentioned about drag instead of autoX so why keep commenting on the autox. As for the photo I have loked and I can DEF see a body. I am not noticing anything else. You should try posting some headlight pics and see if anyone notices. Or even a rear bumper.