Thoughts on single

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
I have a prefect running 1jz that still has the factory twins on it. I'm thinking about going to a single for some more power. In the over all of things what am i looking to lose and gain as far as streetablity. I'm going with the driftmotion quick spool set up. Just looking for a little input as far as the mpg and street driving, and how reliable is going to be.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I've never done it on a JZ motor, but I have read alot about it, here is what I know from research:

Your power band will be vastly different with less power and torque below the boost threshold (where you start to make positive pressure in the intake). IIRC, the 1JZ stock twins don't have a mentionable point where they make boost, they simply always do, even from idle. So you'll give that up, plain and simple. It'll be like driving a 7M car with a CT26, only more gutless and actually pulls to redline... ok, so it'll be nothing like a 7M, nevermind, lol.

Long story short, your power will all move up higher in the RPM band.

In terms of reliability, it should theoretically improve if the turbo is installed with high quality components and good hoses, couplers, ect. The stock CT12 (A's?) are notorious for failing... mostly because they are comprised of archiac turbo technology.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
you will love it! they only thing is that it could be alittle laggier than the stock twins depending on mods and tune

SupraStardom

Nov 11, 2006
Council Bluffs, IA
Do it!!! Iam about to start mine. I'm getting all my ducks in a row for it first, which is what i would recommend for anyone. Don't just buy the kit and think your got everything then tear apart your car (that hopefully isn't your daily driver), just to find out you need something stupid like hose clamps or vacuum line. Make sure you have everything. This is coming from the voice of vast experience with impatience.

Research everything. Use the search button. go through other people's build threads, call Driftmotion and talk to aaron. Make sure your injector size is right for the turbo, make sure your fuel pump good to push fuel to the injectors. Make sure you got a piggy back or standalone to tune it, make sure you don't live in BFE like me and there is no dyno close by. Can your clutch handle your HP goals? Just food for thought when doing these things.

Like I said earlier don't tear this engine apart without having everything you may need. I've been there at 2:00am working on my car not having what i needed because i couldn't wait and now i can't get it running due to not having enough vacuum hose, hose clamps ,etc. Anyways with that said, Go single!!!!!

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
I agree with everyone else. Do it. You wont be let down. With the 57 trim (quick spool) from DM, it will spool damn fast. Probably around 3000-3200rpm, and pull pretty well all the way to redline. Its going to be a very very streetable turbo setup, and be perfect for track/drift use.

No its not going to make 600whp, but it will easily get you in the 400+ range, which is plenty for the street.

As far as gas mileage, expect about the same in normal driving conditions, if not slightly better since you will need to tune it with some sort of piggyback.

ahmed

Jan 31, 2009
cleveland
first off are you seriously askin/ worried about your mpg..

second off depending on your turbo size your spool time will be different.

you can piece together a kit for pretty cheap.

ebay mani under 200 bone 900hp proven
turbo used or new 300- what ever
used gate. i picked up a tail 44 vband for 150
and down pipe made 100..

i have about 800 into my single kit and im at 470hp wheel.

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
the only reason for the question on mpg this is a car i enjoy to take out for trips, right it does great and it is big plus on me keeping the car. it isn't my daily driver or anything, i'm wanting to put down about 400-450 hp i'm not looking for a drag car but just alittle more get up and go.

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
I have already got a few of my parts, injectors, ebc, bov, piping, piggy back, but i haven't placed the order with driftmotion. i plan to just there kit plus a few other add ons. i'm faced with idea of spending 3500-4000.00 on this car and fixing it up all the way or selling it and try to get a 93-98 supra. Just tring to get duck in a row to figure out what would be more reasonable

pnutcar

1jz Asshole :)
Jan 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I love my single. I have the DM 67 kit. I went from stock twins to a custom GT28r setup to the 67 w/ a .70 a/r.

The powerband is almost identical between the GT28r's and the 67... Knowing that I wish I would have gone single from the get go instead of doing something from scratch. I am finally installing my 264 cams so I will get some info on streetability.