thoughts on 60-1

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i'm looking to get an upgraded ct26. i plan on getting one from albert, but the question is which one.

i'm looking to get 4-450 at the wheels. will the 60-1 do it? or would the 57trim or 58 be better? also, i've seen some bad reviews on the 60-1's. not albert's in particular, but just that size in general.
thanks...........

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
You're going to hear a lot of nay sayers that's ultimately going to change your mind about the 60-1 upgrade. The 60-1 is actually a better compressor wheel that will make power in it's sweet spot of it's efficiency island. I say get one, and make sure Albert gets it balanced damn near perfect. Good luck.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
A 60-1 ct26 with one HELL of a clipped wheel will make 450 rwhp. I don't know how long it'll last pushing it to 22 PSI though. It'll be more reliable just to get a bolt on pt58 from someone.

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
Suprapowaz!(2);1978458 said:
T3rril, did they tell you why longevity is a bit of concern? They're not able to balance it correctly? Shaft too small for that wheel?

It's been a while since I have explored that option so my memory alludes me a bit. I do believe that it was an issue with The shaft being too small and they have seen issues with them coming out of balance. Another decent argument that they pitched is the price vs. return. Obviously you would require less parts over all with an upgraded ct-26 (i.e, wastegate, etc) however it will cost roughly 500-$600 for the upgrade for a unit capable of 500 or so compared to a Borg Warner S366 which is good for 700+ for $700. I found that to be a good counter argument at least.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I hear you on the cost issue, but don't for the other things that go along with a T4. Manifold, spacer(s), WG & dumptube, custom downpipe & intercooler hoses, oil feed & drain lines, intake pipe & filter, and other misc stuff that'll nickel and dime you.

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
Oh yeah for sure, that's why I said that an upgraded ct-26 would be less parts. The thing that got me a little less interest in the 60-1 is most of those parts are things that people upgrade even with a stock ct-26 just due to the fact that they are old and want something newer. The biggest difference that I saw was that a t4 would force you to buy all of that stuff together as opposed to the ct-26 upgrade which you can build around. Ex.) today install new ct-26 and crank/drive car. Next week: new intercooler, bov, and hose..continue driving. Three weeks later: AN oil lines..etc.

That is a luxury you admittedly don't have with t4 imo

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
Suprapowaz!(2);1978468 said:
I hear you on the cost issue, but don't for the other things that go along with a T4. Manifold, spacer(s), WG & dumptube, custom downpipe & intercooler hoses, oil feed & drain lines, intake pipe & filter, and other misc stuff that'll nickel and dime you.
people do most of this when upgrading a ct26 as is. When you move up to a t4 and external waste gate you add a few more parts but those parts are supporting factors for bigger power. as for soft lines, down pipes, and inter cooler hose i would argue those are going to be close to the same for each setup.

now to digress,
over all i think the 60-1 is great for power and pushing the limit of the ct26 but for reliability i wouldn't go over a 57 and if you want more than that upgrade the whole turbo.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i see the pros and cons of switching to a t4 setup. the reason i want to go with an upgraded ct26 is because i already have a bic ddp and aftermarket i/c piping. i'd like to have a reliable 400+ at the wheels, and spend some money on other areas of the car. i'm looking to build a well rounded car, that can still do good at the track.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
IIRC, and I don't have one around me to measure, but the ct26 isn't exactly a small shaft. It's probably due to the 270 degree thrust bearing inside it instead of a 360 degree thrust bearing.

I think a 60-1 ct26 would live for a long time if it's daily driven on waste gate pressure then only raised once its game time. Pushing a turbo to 15+ PSI daily when it was designed for 6.8, well I think you get the picture.