May 20, 2008
Queens
p1803765_1.jpg

p1803765_2.jpg

Lol. Idk how. Just happened man..

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Was it possible that the mating surface was slightly uneven?
I could see that being a contributing factor... Otherwise, as Suprakid stated, maybe a bad cast.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
ForcedTorque;1803775 said:
JZ?

Coolant in the alternator doesn't look like a great design

Yes, JZ

Coolant in the alternator is done by BMW. They have it on their 7 Series. We did a rebuild on one and had the alternator rebuilt while it was out as its a pain to pull in the car.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
You should only run Toyota Red in a Toyota cooling system. Well, water freezes below 32F, so by the numbers, it could freeze in the block if you has straight water. I have never seen it but it doesn't mean it can't happen.

OP had green coolant. I doubt that's why it cracked. Maybe it was leaned up against something when the motor was out this last time Kevin?

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
IBoughtASupra;1803821 said:
You should only run Toyota Red in a Toyota cooling system. Well, water freezes below 32F, so by the numbers, it could freeze in the block if you has straight water. I have never seen it but it doesn't mean it can't happen.

OP had green coolant. I doubt that's why it cracked. Maybe it was leaned up against something when the motor was out this last time Kevin?

Nope. I dropped the motor in the black car the same day I took it out the white car.

Couple weeks back I saw that some coolant was leaking out of the waterpump. Turns out a bolt was loose lol dunno how that happened? So I tightened it and everything seemed fine. Then last night I was driving the car locally and all of a sudden my voltage started fluctuating like crazy and the car was buggin out. And I smelled antifreeze through the roof. I was about 4 blocks from home so I drove in my driveway and popped my hood.

Antifreeze gushing all over my alternator! It was dark and I didn't wanna bother with it. So I left it and began taking everything out this morning. And I found a hairline crack. It wasn't anywhere near the width of the crack in the picture though. That Pic was taken after I knocked it with a hammer a bit. Lol

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Judging by where it's cracked it seems likely that it was from the bolts not being evenly torqued or from a piece of the old gasket stuck to the housing (somewhere near the middle of the pump). Aluminum cracks easily if things aren't perfectly flat.

I cracked a GM 3.4L upper intake manifold right down the middle once because I left a small chunk of the old gasket on the manifold by mistake.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
destrux;1803856 said:
Judging by where it's cracked it seems likely that it was from the bolts not being evenly torqued or from a piece of the old gasket stuck to the housing (somewhere near the middle of the pump). Aluminum cracks easily if things aren't perfectly flat.

I cracked a GM 3.4L upper intake manifold right down the middle once because I left a small chunk of the old gasket on the manifold by mistake.

Well, it would only crack there if the front half was changed and then not properly installed, not sure if he changed the front half.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
The pump comes assembled. In order to break that way, you'd have to torque down one side more than the other. When installing a JZ waterpump, you don't touch the front half. There are five or six bolts that hold the JZ pump to the block, front half is not touched. Look at the picture and you will see what I am talking about. Only thing that could cause this is if the alternator was forced on which would put stress to the water pump as it bolts onto it as well.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
He had a leak, more than likely displacing the gasket. Overtightening in that spot would cause it to crack quite easily. Cause sounds pretty clear (i.e. what did he do? :rofl: )

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
Poodles;1803903 said:
He had a leak, more than likely displacing the gasket. Overtightening in that spot would cause it to crack quite easily. Cause sounds pretty clear (i.e. what did he do? :rofl: )

Lol yea same thing I was thinking..I forgot how annoying it is to take off and install this pump -_-