those of you running maft and 550's..

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
that log looks ok.
which size maf sensor did you get?
remember with 550's and larger intake, it tends to run richer.
So with everything zeroed out, maft and safc, it should be richer anyway.
Hopefully Grim can help you fine tune the maft.
I would turn off the safc until maft is set at base and ecu is happy. Then initialize the safc.

here is a quick cheat sheet for VF

Last edited:

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
I have the 3" sensor, I hadnt reset the ECU since the morning, since then i've done a lot of low throttle driving. It doesnt make sense to me that the Vf's changed so much.

whopwood

Jun 27, 2005
Madison, WI
I run mine closer to the 440 setting than 550. I think I'm 1 click above 440.

Car runs and drives fine at 2.5v vf. However, the idle goes way lean. I have my SAFC adding 10% at idle and the vf is still one tick to the "I'm adding fuel" side.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Hen, I'd have to pull the plastics to see my settigns, but I set it to 550s, and then moved the idle and mid knobs maybe three clicks each, max. It worked out fine.
I'd advise against tuning to 12.5 @ wot. It is the magical high power number, but it's a little on the lean side. I shoot for 11.8 as the added fuel helps torque production down low, and serves to absorb some of the egt heat. 12.5 yields much hotter egts...

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
yea, i'm not trying to kill my motor with a harsh tune, i'm definately going to go with a 11.5ish tune. I took a 24 hr break from the car, I'll look at it later this afternoon once i finish classes. Maybe something will click then. I had to take a break when i started it up 10 minutes after taking that log, and then the Vf's were all over the place.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
okay i finally got the Vf's right at idle on the 550's setting. I started to fix the Vf's at a cruise. first of all i dont know what i'm looking for. It seems that the Vfs go back down to ~1 v at 2800 rpms. check out the logs.

Last edited:

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
here are some logs for comparison
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7134&p=72711
your idle does look ok. i know it would be optimal to make it a perfect 2.5 but it's still within the normal range. for some additional vf info:
http://suprasonic.org/pub/SONIC/MA70/Vfoutput.txt
at cruise, say 70 mph on cruise control, vf and a/f should be about the same as at idle. i.e. ~14.7 a/f and ~2.5v vf
what problems are you experiencing now?

edit: idle may still be a bit lean as it jumps to 5v periodically.
i had a similar situation when i had a hole in my intake manifold gasket. that made for a lean idle and rich acceleration.

kamil

87T Targa
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Make sure your idle enrichment setting is off (dip switch 3 off), that was giving me ALL kinds of trouble tuning it for a good idle. The moment I switched it off, I could actually control the idle A/F.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
oldschool85 said:
wat was the reason they put that dip switch 3 on there? Just for the first time you power up the unit with the car?

charlie

I dont know, but remember MAFT isnt only made for the MKIII, maybe it works better on a DSM or GN?

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
sooo i got all my cruising Vf's straight. I took a drive to the local advance auto to pick up some oil and stuff. The car ran perfect, I went in and came back out in about 5 minutes, i tried to start the car and it idled like crap. I tried to drive it anyways and the car just stalled and jerked, i managed to make it ~50 feet to the next parking space. There it sits. Just my luck it seems. I'm going to make another thread about this.