THM350 vs THM2004R

suprafredde

Apr 21, 2005
South of sweden
Both can be built to hold quite a lot. Maybe the 350 can hold a bit more.
The 2004 dont like too spin to fast and the LP cable is quite tricky and very importand to get right but a full manual valve body solves that, and removes the hard to set spring/weight shiftpoints.

I so would like the OD that the 350 doesnt have.
And a locking TQ, engaged with a smiple switch in 4th would be great.

So why isnt more people using the 2004R?
The price, size, durability... plz share your info.

suprafredde

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
One of my little projects before it got hit was an 88 Monte Carlo SS. Probably the quickest car they were in next to a Grand National.

The th200-4r is just like any Turbo Hydro trans that ever came behind a chevy v8. They are all capable of being built to handle great gobs of power BUT the th350 is the golden child of going down the 1/4 mile. They can handle HP in the 4 digit range with proper upgrades and cooling.

That being said I think your real thought should go into whether you want a 700r4 or a th200r4. Those are your 2 somewhat beefy stock 4 speed OD trans's from TH. I know building a 700r4 can still be considered a waste and dangerous in some circles. You have to realize that ever little model specific circle thinks differently. Lots of old school chevy guys say go th350 cause the wide open throttle shift to OD is a trans destroyer. Grand National and Monte Carlo SS guys will stand by that th200r4 forever and I loved mine.

And the only upside to the 700r4 vs the 200r4 I know of is the deep 1st gear.