This one has got me puzzled

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
ok, so i had to change my thermos housing cause i broke a bolt, so i pulled my distributer, notice the gear shaft was broke when i pulled it out. i pulled it out, very carefully i may add, and just the top part came out, while the gear part was still in the head. i got it out ok, but my replacement distributer in, it runs fine, but how did that happen?

i have never heard of that happening before. could it be it was just old? or is something going on? im lost with the cause why it broke. lol.

Last edited:

89Joe

POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
Maybe the teeth weren't right on or it got hung up somehow. It was probably just way old. Got any pictures?

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
So hold on, the dizzy gear broke off in the head. You replaced and...huh. Maybe ok slow tonight. Make sure there's no extra parts floating around.

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
yeah. i pulled out the distributor and the shaft was still in the head. i was able to take it out with a magnetic tool. i just dont know why it snapped. i know the thing was somewhat old, but dang. I have never heard of a distributor shaft breaking. again, i will prolly take pics of it tomorrow in the day time.

aus87nat

May 20, 2008
Wollongong
i bought an after market dizzy for an old v8 that was two piece gear and top shaft. Was so you could pull the dizzy out without having to reset the gear. Maybe you've uncovered a maintenance loop hole ;)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
supra_man87;1318024 said:
thats what has me puzzled, it DID run. no joke. ill post pictures tomorrow so you all can see this.

So you want to say that the rotor turned and the car ran, even though the drive gear was seperated from the shaft?

Pics.

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
ok. sorry for the delay. but i do have pics now.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

and i found out that you can take the gear off the distributor. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291210/catalog.aspx?F=1902&P=1
evidently you can buy the gear separately. anyone tried to take off the gear?

aus87nat

May 20, 2008
Wollongong
that's exactly how my v8 one was, only a little stronger built on the male/female parts. Was a tight clearance, so I had to pull it out slowly if i wanted to leave the gear in there, but after pulling the dizzy in and out about 10 times, it had its usefulness :)

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
it may have been dropped or put in a vice at some point in it's life, fractured it and installed in the car.

heat + vibration propagated the crack but didn't break it off flat, it still left enough tooth for the gear end of the shaft to engage the distributor end.