Thinking of buying supra and need advice!

Spade

7M or DIE Trying
Nov 26, 2007
Asheville
I am thinking of buying a 89 supra with a 7mge for $400, its a good deal but it comes with a automatic. Im worried if i put a lot of power on the auto it might COOK! also i am having problems with finding preformance parts. It is a awsome looking blue and in great condicion, i would hate so see it rot in go to waste. Any info will be great. THANKS:1zhelp:

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Welcome. You can always do a motor swap and convert the car to a 5-speed. Tranny conversions are cheap, depending on the clutch you use. As for parts, you can get almost any part you want for that car. I get almost all my parts online from several sources. Just look at the build threads. As for $400 for an 89 N/A auto, that's a good deal. So long as the title is clean and the body is good, you got a good deal. Please post pics.

Where's Asheville? Tennessee?

Adam

Last edited:

Spade

7M or DIE Trying
Nov 26, 2007
Asheville
honestabe said:
Welcome. You can always do a motor swap and convert the car to a 5-speed. Tranny conversions are cheap, depending on the clutch you use. As for parts, you can get almost any part you want for that car. I get almost all my parts online from several sources. Just look at the build threads. As for $400 for an 89 N/A auto, that's a good deal. So long as the title is clean and the body is good, you got a good deal. Please post pics.

Where's Asheville? Tennessee?

Adam

Yea what all do i need to convert to a 5 speed or another motor? and the body is great! Asheville is in nc its a wierd city. i want to put some serious power down and whoop my stepfather big block with 500 torque. thats my goal and he does not believe i can do it eather. I think other wise. The title is clean and everything is there but if i buy it i get a used 7mge with it so do what i like to. plus it helps im a mechanic. i just got out of Nascar institute in nc. but i have been working for a while now. i will post pics as soon as i can but it might be a bit if i buy it i half to toe it to my shop the head is off the motor!

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Buy it, then sell the motor and tranny (once you get the motor put back together and working right), then do a motor swap. Your budget determines what motor you should go with. The 2JZ is a great platform to work with. has a vey stong bottom end (good for 800 HP on stock internals), and has a massive aftermarket. You could stomp your dad easily if you do a 2J swap, put a big single turbo on it, upgrade your fuel system, get a strong clutch, and get some good rubber in the rear. That'd be the quickest way to whoop your dad, but like I said, money determines power.

Nothing wrong with buying a clean car for cheap if you're going to do a motor swap. Hell, I bought my clean 1987 N/A hardtop shell with no motor, no tranny, and a mint condition interior. In my Supra's former life, it was an N/A auto (like your car). Now it has a 1JZ-GTE 2.5 liter twin turbo with over 300 at the wheels. If the car is clean, and all you have to do is put the head back on (hopefully no BHG) and do minor work to get it running right, then sell the motor, tranny, and driveshaft (you will need a 5-speed turbo driveshaft when you convert), you'll have paid very little for the car. Then all you have to do is swap in a motor and tranny and upgrade.

Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You can only choose 2

Adam
P.S. look at my build thread to see where I started and where I'm at now :D

Nov 29, 2006
Vacaville, CA
Your never gonna beat him on an NA supra. And keep the Auto its faster. IF you've got the money, buy a supra for 6k with a 1j swap already in it. I see them all the time.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
If the body is clean and the interior is decent $400 is a great deal. Personaly I would fix it, drive it and get a 7mgte, 1jz, or 2jz build one of those and drop it in.