Thinking about goin CARB!!

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Rennat;1191750 said:
what the big deal about e85? it takes MORE fuel to create the same amount of combustion that gasoline does, so in essence you make more power, but you suck even MORE fuel in. just go get some 100 octance, or some 110 leaded race gas...

E85 is a band wagon thing just because people get more power from it doesnt mean its better...

but anything is possible with time, money, and a lot of knowledge. IJ truly knows his shit, and he probably could make something run of breast milk.

I agree with this 100%... I think ethanol is pretty retarded. It is cheaper that race gas (by a lot), but that is largely due too stupid government subsidies for it.

I would stick with race fuel myself

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
supradjza80;1191768 said:
I agree with this 100%... I think ethanol is pretty retarded. It is cheaper that race gas (by a lot), but that is largely due too stupid government subsidies for it.

Methanol is similar to Ethanol as it is a potent fuel with an octane rating of 100 that allows for higher compression and greater efficiency than gasoline

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
lppro;1191742 said:
heres some pics of my friends 7m carb setup,
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

thats 3 webber carbs.
it has been done before. and if im not mistaken IJ had or has a carbed 7m also.

How did that car run!

that looks awsome!

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
honestabe;1191789 said:
this is a very good example of why I want to run e85 in my Supra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXoD1SztdiI

And what about all the examples of race gas cars (SW, Woon, blah blah blah)? Plus the added benefit that you flow less fuel so you can use smaller less noisy fuel pumps for the same HP?

To each there own but in a race gas vs. ethanol battle - race fuel wins (although as i said E-85 is much cheaper)

plus ethanol is very corrosive - I work on this car www.uwracing.com which runs E-85. That stuff is nasty to parts not designed for it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
While I'm flattered by a few of the posts (I was smarter before the accident I sustained a substantial head injury) Carb's can give reasonable results but modern engine controls being what they are these days there's no way in hell I'd ever go that far backwards.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I never said it was a good idea, just that you did it and it worked. ;)

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
I looked at it as alot less wiring, no INJ, AFM, cps, just regulate the fuel and ready to go!

ive heard alot about the blow through carbs, and heard very successful stories. some of the quickest cars out there are blow through carbs

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
madsupra88;1191860 said:
I looked at it as alot less wiring, no INJ, AFM, cps, just regulate the fuel and ready to go!

ive heard alot about the blow through carbs, and heard very successful stories. some of the quickest cars out there are blow through carbs

Is your car running yet??

How much power are you going for???

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
supradjza80;1191768 said:

Fact:

Goverment only subzidizes .50/gallon. Which if you remove the subzidy, put the price at exactly what 87 octane water is selling for on a per gallon basis.

Stick to what ever you want but please stick with facts and not heresay or speculation.

<-- E85 since 2005 here and no issues. AT ALL.

as IJ stated, Carb is ok but the granular control of both timing AND injection is only possible with electronics in the mix. No way that is happening on a carb setup.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
A few things to keep in mind.

You're NOT going to get even mixtures on an I-6 with a single Carb.

While there are some hugely powerful Turbo/Carb engines out there ask them about driveability/economy.

This may not be an issue for you but for me it's the holy grail of turbo engines, I can have a 467rwhp engine that drives like a kitten and gets 28us MPG on a trip.

Solving fuel issues with a Carb is a nightmare once you pressurise it, I ended up going Draw through on my Carb motors as it solved quite a few of the issues involved.

You're still going to need some sort of Ignition control so you're half way into an ECU there.

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
turbo/carb motors can be sick but as stated gas mileage is gone and with e85u better have a fricken plant in ur bakc yard. getting your e85 all day. but i don't want ym word be the one that makes you go against. btu it is definitly a sick idea if you go single carb, run a holley 750 double pumper. or 1050 double pumper. if you go multiple carbs, i would recomend maybe somethign like mini menkuin or how ever u spell it carbs. your idea is definitly sick. some people woudl say its easeir and some woudl say tis harder to tune depending on what aspect your trying ot tune keep us updated

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
IJ.;1192733 said:
A few things to keep in mind.

You're NOT going to get even mixtures on an I-6 with a single Carb.

While there are some hugely powerful Turbo/Carb engines out there ask them about driveability/economy.

This may not be an issue for you but for me it's the holy grail of turbo engines, I can have a 467rwhp engine that drives like a kitten and gets 28us MPG on a trip.

Solving fuel issues with a Carb is a nightmare once you pressurise it, I ended up going Draw through on my Carb motors as it solved quite a few of the issues involved.

You're still going to need some sort of Ignition control so you're half way into an ECU there.

IJ i was thinking about going with this carb

sm_photo_missing.jpg

this carb will be split, each three runners will have a side, with a cstom intake that would spread it equally.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
madsupra88;1193115 said:
IJ i was thinking about going with this carb

this carb will be split, each three runners will have a side, with a cstom intake that would spread it equally.

Good luck I hope it's what you want at the end of the project :)