Thermoswitches for electric fan operation

supra90mkiii

Apr 2, 2005
Racine, WI
I'm installing two electric cooling fans soon, and would like to have both fans switched on/off independently with (more than likely) two thermoswitches in the thermostat housing. I've been searching for what on/off temperatures would be appropriate, and also if there are thermoswitches available for the desired temp ranges, but I'm having trouble.

I have a factory thermostat in place, which I believe is a 190F. Figuring that one fan would be a "low" setting and the other a "high". I was thinking of having the low fan turn on somewhere between 193-195F, then shutting off at 185F. The high fan turning on at 200-203F and shutting off at 195F. Good? Suggestions?

I'm having trouble locating thermoswitches that will work for these temperatures. Does anyone know of a catalog of coolant fan thermoswitches with listed specifications?

Thanks everyone.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
If I remember correctly, the ECU's "happy place" is between 180 and 210. As long as you keep it between the temps, it should be fine. Idealy you'd you want to keep the temp at 195 dead.

In terms of switches, whatever you end up doing don't cheap out. One of my buddies did a very very "thrifty" setup on his 240sx and ended up cooking the engine because the fans didn't come on. And on the flip side, what is wrong with the clutch fan?

supra90mkiii

Apr 2, 2005
Racine, WI
Fan clutch is fine.

I never mentioned anything about being on a budget, and will attempt to install quality items.

Anyone have a source for universal type thermoswitches?

TRG22

May 18, 2007
UK
I am doing a similar thing to you and found this whilst looking for something to use, was thinking of welding a bung into the bottom of my rad for it to fit into.

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
i am planning on running the same type of setup. volvo electric fan. fits the rad perfectly.
my clutch fan can be heard over my 3 inch exhaust from 3 blocks away. so sick of that pos.

i got the car with no fan shroud either.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
toyolla86;1682179 said:
my clutch fan can be heard over my 3 inch exhaust from 3 blocks away. so sick of that pos.

Not trying to be a dick, but hearing a fan clutch 3 blocks away, is basically impossible. And if it is true, then your motor hates you right now because that means the fan clutch is seized and your running the motor with WAY more resistance then normal.

Why not get another fan clutch from driftmotion? Electric fans have a tendency to be tempermantal.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Go get a new fan clutch, put your old blade on it, buy a Koyo Aluminum radiator, a new radiator cap and replace your old thermostat with a one from Toyota or Stant, 82C is what Toyota sell. Your cooling system will be happy and reliable. Silicone hoses is a good investment as well.

Electronics can always fail no matter how much you spend. A fan clutch will not fail on stop unless you had an improper clutch or install. It will wear slowly and can be picked up when you look over the car about every oil change. Don't try and reinvent the wheel, it works fine.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
airhead04;1682198 said:
Not trying to be a dick, but hearing a fan clutch 3 blocks away, is basically impossible. And if it is true, then your motor hates you right now because that means the fan clutch is seized and your running the motor with WAY more resistance then normal.

Why not get another fan clutch from driftmotion? Electric fans have a tendency to be tempermantal.

That's what I was going to get at myself. If you've got no fan shroud on the car too the fan isn't going to be pulling fresh air through the radiator nicely either. Putting in electric fans is putting one more thing in the chain that can cause catastrophic failure. I'd agree with airhead, get a good clutch on your fan because it really shouldn't be locking up that much, and get a fan shroud on there because it makes a night and day difference to the cooling.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
mkIIIman089;1682376 said:

What do they sell then?

I ordered a thermostat along with a few other things from Champion and I got an 82C thermostat. Called them up and the part number I got matches what is in their computer.

If you are going to say "wrong," you should not post at all if you won't fully explain yourself.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
TRG22;1682380 said:
Wow that's really helpful, thanks...

The standard state is 88c.

I know that is what the standard should be, 88C. The TSRM says the cooling system should be at 190F, so that is correct but I ran the 82C thermostat with no problems and it was not going in and out of cold start settings as my AFR's stayed at 14.2-14.5 at idle while at operating temperature.

The ECU is fine with 180-190. I don't like running higher than that though.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
IBoughtASupra;1682390 said:
I know that is what the standard should be, 88C. The TSRM says the cooling system should be at 190F, so that is correct but I ran the 82C thermostat with no problems and it was not going in and out of cold start settings as my AFR's stayed at 14.2-14.5 at idle while at operating temperature.

It will go into closed loop at ~20C, so AFR is not an accurate way to tell what the ECU is doing regarding its warm up strategies.