Thermostat Needle Always at High

supra_89_vang

Dec 29, 2005
madison
When I turn the Igition to ON, the thermostat needle goes all the way up. This also happens reguardless of what the temperture is. I checked the resistance of the coolant temperture sensor according to the TSRM and it looked withing range. I also check the voltage output and I got about 5 volts. I checked my engine error code and I have no errors. Anyone might know how to solved this problem? Please help.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
That tells me the wire from the sensor is or the gauge is grounding out:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=BE&P=42

Disconnected from the sensor, the gauge should move to cold (ignition on).

Where are you getting voltage at exactly?
Attach the connector to the sensor to a 3W test light or your multimeter with the other end grounded, with the ignition on. Does the light illuminate or meter show voltage?

If the gauge fuse was blown (powers the coolant gauge) you would have other gauges in the combination meter out (among other things).

tsparks01

Jun 6, 2008
queens new york
is your motor over heating, if it is flush out the motor and get the 160 degree thermostat, but if its a bag gage check to see if you have any bad grounds of taped wire from ur thermosensor to your gage.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
tsparks01;1113522 said:
is your motor over heating, if it is flush out the motor and get the 160 degree thermostat, but if its a bag gage check to see if you have any bad grounds of taped wire from ur thermosensor to your gage.

^^^ Vang - Ignore this...do what I told you.

Confirm the sensor/wire in this pic:

209360025.jpg

supra_89_vang

Dec 29, 2005
madison
jdub;1113525 said:
^^^ Vang - Ignore this...do what I told you.

Confirm the sensor/wire in this pic:

209360025.jpg

What I replaced was the ECU sensor and not the Instrument cluster sensor. The voltage was measure across the hardness of the ECU sensor that would explain where I got the voltage. I didn't know that there was a seperate sensor to the cluster. I will measure the resistance of the cluster sensor and test it out.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
supra_89_vang;1114204 said:
What I replaced was the ECU sensor and not the Instrument cluster sensor. The voltage was measure across the hardness of the ECU sensor that would explain where I got the voltage. I didn't know that there was a seperate sensor to the cluster. I will measure the resistance of the cluster sensor and test it out.

I suspected as such...hence the pic ;)

Start from the beginning...disconnect the sensor, ignition on and see what the gauge does.