Theory on why my 90 degree hose keeps busting

90XTurbo

Banned
Feb 2, 2006
Manteca, CA
I'm on my third 90 degree water hose, the infamous one behind the engine.

My car makes a ticking noise under load, it's not rod knock, but misaligned valve shims are not out of the question.

So I'm thinking, the cause of this may be an exhaust leak at the very back of the exhaust manifold. It could be letting out hot gasses and hardening up the 90 degree hose causing it to become all brittle-like. I baby my car and I RARELY go into boost, I even out the vacuum when I'm merging onto the freeway. My car is all stock too.

So before I go and look at it when it's not raining, any other ideas?

What I want to do, if perhaps it is an exhaust leak from the manifold, I'll have the manifold, turbo and turbo heatshield painted with high-temp paint.

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
Check the egr cooler too, that may be leaking and causing it to heat up back there.

Not to be a doomsayer or anything, but how is your HG, high pressure in the cooling system will cause random hoses to blow even if they are new. That one in particular i've had problems with as well.

My old supra had a ticking noise when under load as well, drove it for 15k like that and sold it before I ever did figure out what it was...

Edit: Actually now that I think about it I was told by the guy that bought my car that the egr cooler was loose on it, so maybe that is the cause of the noise and yours is loose as well.

N

NDBoost

jetjock said:
I agree....EGR cooler. Everything jives including the noise. You'd better have small hands ;)
i once thought about inventing some sort of chest/body harnessthat you hookup to your cherry picker and hang your younger brother/child over the engine while they tighten the bolts for you..

i can see it now :biglaugh: ahaha

suprafly

Jun 30, 2005
if it has no other problems and keeps blowing try some of the green and red silicone heater hose from napa. I use that stuff for my turbo oil dump line. It is real flexible too so it would probably work for this.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
just re-do the EGR cooler. remove the valve covers, get a 10mm socket, grind it down preferably with a bench grinder so it isnt so long, and get a 1/4" drive ratchet, you can get to all the bolts but it will kill your back. It took me about an hour, but it was an hour well spent to get rid of that annoying "tick, tick, tick".

N

NDBoost

hottscennessey said:
just re-do the EGR cooler. remove the valve covers, get a 10mm socket, grind it down preferably with a bench grinder so it isnt so long, and get a 1/4" drive ratchet, you can get to all the bolts but it will kill your back. It took me about an hour, but it was an hour well spent to get rid of that annoying "tick, tick, tick".
dont forget the nasty heat that causes hoses to blow

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Thanks NDboost, I'm on my way to the patent office right now! I may never have to work again if my baby harness comes through and I sell millions. lol.

N

NDBoost

suprahero said:
Thanks NDboost, I'm on my way to the patent office right now! I may never have to work again if my baby harness comes through and I sell millions. lol.
oh great, i better get some of that money..
outofstep will be on you like stink on shit :naughty: :biglaugh: lolol

TRACKMKIII

Banned
Feb 17, 2006
Atlanta,GA
I was reading this post and I have the same "tick tick tick" noise under load, so I ordered a new EGR Cooler and gasket. Before I get back in there in that small space I was just wondering once I remove the EGR cooler will the gasket be baked on (which means I will have to sand it off) or will I be able to just pull it off and replace it with a new one?

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I had ticking before... Loose exhaust manifold.

No offense, but the problem with your hoses that keep spraying, are you sure you aren't damaging them during installation? I've done that once, didn't leak initially, but the hose didn't last long at all. Say a set of pliers with rough teeth and a lot of pressure to twist them on?

soup

fiend
Apr 4, 2005
Vancouver
TRACKMKIII said:
I was reading this post and I have the same "tick tick tick" noise under load, so I ordered a new EGR Cooler and gasket. Before I get back in there in that small space I was just wondering once I remove the EGR cooler will the gasket be baked on (which means I will have to sand it off) or will I be able to just pull it off and replace it with a new one?

Pray that it comes off nicely with the cooler plate. I fixed this for a friend once... it was nicely stuck to the head :icon_evil

Lube up the tops of your hands and your wrists. Your hands will still be bruised and swollen after, just not as bad.