The time I almost got rid of her!

Silvasoup

May 12, 2005
Florida
The year was 1998 and I was driving my 90 Supra daily for a 45 min drive each way to work every day. That much driving starts to add up to repairs and quite a few at that. The next thing I know the wife is saying get rid of that expensive to repair Supra.

Then within a few days I am trying to sell my Supra and I decide to buy a "reliable" replacement which I had decided to be a new 98 Ford Ranger truck. Well it wasn't long after I had the new truck that this what I thought was a reliable new truck broke down and left me stranded. No transportation now? But wait, the soup had not sold yet and would it start after weeks of sitting outside? Vroom yes it started right up to the rescue.

Well to shorten things up a bit the wife changed her mine about the soup and since it did not sell we decided to keep the Supra and sell the problem Ford truck. Wow that was a close one! So till this day I still have my mostly reliable Supra.

Well the question of this thread is do you have a similar story where you almost made the mistake of your life by selling your Supra?

Cliffs: Wife wanted Supra sold because it was too expensive. Bought new Ford truck and it sucked. Truck sold and not the Supra.

92turbo4life

Banned
Sep 12, 2005
wherever
i lost two of my gf's over my car. and i didnt even have my license at that time.:) lmao wich means i wasnt driving it to cruise. i did:biglaugh: i mean i would do simple shit to it. intake bov clean the hell out of it just do stupid shit to it but everydamn day!

CONVO:
gurl-you spend alot of time on your car. it seems like you dont have time for anything else.
me- o well yeah i like the car and i spend my time on it.
gurl- i think we gotta talk. you need to choose what is more important..me or your car...
me- well im gonna go work on the car then:) lmao havent talk to her since.

ive been with a driffrent gurl for 6 months now and im in the rebuild/buildup stage and she really doesnt get to see me but she has dance practice everyday so it works out kinda. friday we hang out and sometime other days but atleast i dont have to worry about her leaving me or doing anything stupid beacsue she hasnt bitched yet;)

Last edited:
N

NDBoost

one thing ive learned is ill never work on my car if i have prior plans to meet with someone or hangout with someone. Especially if its a female, However if i make plans to work on my car and someone invites me to do something ill turn em down and work on the supra.

Ive never lost a chick to my car because i stick by that rule^. However i have been told by MANY females that i spend way too much time/money/love/sweat/emotions on my car.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
My Supra started overheating on a trip down to California once. Afterwards every now and then a long trip would cause her to overheat. I did a block test (incorrectly) and it showed I had a block leak (and therefore a BHG). I put the Supra up for sale on i-Supra.com and started looking for a Subaru to replace her. I left the Supra in Eugene and my dad lent me his Honda Accord while I car shopped.

I finally bought the 1995 Subaru Legacy Outback I have now from some guy up in Washington (though it had Oregon plates). I then returned the Accord to my dad and drove the Supra back to Corvallis. It didn't overheat... I did another block test (this time correctly) and it didn't fail. Then I brought it into a shop which did extensive tests on it all day and they didn't find anything wrong with it (and they didn't even charge me!).

Now I had two working cars and I really didn't like the idea of getting rid of the Supra (probably why I didn't list it in the paper or on autotrader). Now at this same time my girlfriend had been wanting a car, but hadn't had the money to buy one. She really wanted a Mazda MX-3. She was shocked when I offered her my Supra (as were some members of i-Supra and my brother). The only problem was that she couldn't drive a stick. So over the rest of the summer I got to teach her to drive a manual and then when school started up again I transferred the title over to her name. That was two summers ago. We are still together and the Supra is still going strong with 200k+ miles.

N

NDBoost

^of course, you know no modded turbo supra lasts more then 10k miles between rebuilds. Silly Goose :)

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Yeah, it's NA. I still kinda regret not getting a turbo with a targa top, but at the same time I probably would have dumped even more money into it if that were the case so it's fine. I plan to have a 1997-98 Supra Turbo within 10 years (at which point a 98 would be older than my 87 was when I bought it... scary)

Silvasoup

May 12, 2005
Florida
92turbo4life said:
i saw a mk3 turbo with 445k non rebuil on ebay. probabbly a lie though

Who knows I'm really sure it's possible. Whether it is turbo or not does not determine how long it will last, but how it was cared for.

92turbo4life

Banned
Sep 12, 2005
wherever
yea but with 445k you would probabbly build boost once a week. and you cant say like it is only a weekend car beacase of the milgae. i think lol

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
Mine situation was the opposite. I had a 88 honda accord POS. Everything that could go wrong did. I mean two broken axles, ball joints, wheelbearings, transmission, shocks, clutch, radiator, and all kinds of stuff im sure im not mentioning.Everything broke that wasnt motor related.My mom said her friend had this " brown-celica" that he was thinking about selling and she asked me if i was interested. I said heck yea anythings gotta be better than this honda i got.

We scheduled a meeting with the car and owner and i had my mechanic at the time come look at it.Well we get there, and to my suprise it wasnt a celica at all it was a "black-supra". I was like damn my mom was off lmao. Lomg story short the car burned oil, and due to my lack of knowledge of the supra i had let the oil get low and got the dredded rodknock after purchasing the car :(

I drove the car till the motor blew which was almost a year later with just under 25k miles put on since i bought it. :bigthumb:.Now at this point in time i am driving 50 miles one way toschool so i had to get this fixed.I replaced the motor asap a few months later and havent had any problems since beside the minor hose busting. And before the motor blew i didnt have any problems.So all in all this car as met and exceeded my expectations. Its still my D.D., and i have 194 on the odo(had 146 @ purchase) and she gets me anywhere i need to be