The Small Questions Thread

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
[emoji106] awesome to hear! Then I'll just be sure to clean up the gte before putting it in. The ecu is gte and for a 5 spd. Might have my first turbo in a couple of weeks then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Grandavi;2024089 said:
W58 is fine until you top 500-600 hp IMO. The diff on your NA supra will probably be typical where you will have more acceleration but lower top end. (4.3 gears?)
You just rev higher at 60 mph than a typical diff on a turbo car. I'm not sure if the lsd is normal for NA's, mine had it.

You will want a GTE ECU but having ever done 7mge to GTE I will leave that to research and other comments. But your trans won't suffer being behind the turbo.

You will need a stronger clutch I believe though. From what I've read the stock W58 clutch will slip even at stock HP levels from the GTE. Not all N/A cars had an LSD, you got the LSD with the Sport Package, so if your car has/had TEMS then you have an LSD.

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Silver MK3;2024122 said:
You will need a stronger clutch I believe though. From what I've read the stock W58 clutch will slip even at stock HP levels from the GTE. Not all N/A cars had an LSD, you got the LSD with the Sport Package, so if your car has/had TEMS then you have an LSD.

Thanks Silver MK3, I do have TEMs and have LSD forsure. My dad put in a heavy duty clutch a while back but idk what brand or what it's rated at. Is there a way to tell once I get it out?

jdmfreak;2024123 said:
Make sure you use a gte afm

I'll have to source that and looks like the CPS is broken on the GTE motor so I'll have to source that too.

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Doat;2024131 said:
Where do you guys get the cherry JDM tail lights from?

I think they're just tinted regular lights arn't they? I could be wrong tho, someone else wants to chime in?

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Doat;2024131 said:
Where do you guys get the cherry JDM tail lights from?

Try ebay, there's usually a set or two there, but they cost a pretty penney. I wish the pre89 trim would fit on them. If they did I would probably have a set of the JDM tailights by now.

drogon;2024126 said:
Thanks Silver MK3, I do have TEMs and have LSD forsure. My dad put in a heavy duty clutch a while back but idk what brand or what it's rated at. Is there a way to tell once I get it out?

I'll have to source that and looks like the CPS is broken on the GTE motor so I'll have to source that too.

Maybe when you pull it there is a part number or so on it that you could research to try and get some specs on it.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Doat;2024165 said:
yea I saw some for like $250+$130 for shipping and in the pics they look a little scratched or marred

You might be able to buff some of that out. Unfortunately you won't be able to find a perfect set considering the newest ones will still be 22 years old at this point. I would keep looking, there are always new things popping up every so often there.

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
When making room for a bigger intercooler, is it ok to mount the stock oil cooler sideways? Looks like it was designed for the oil to enter at the top and exit at the bottom, but if I mount it sideways the lines will both either be at the top or the bottom.
Can I mount it sideways with both lines at the top?

Oh yeah, and what size hose do I get to extend the lines, 3/8"?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Don't know what sideways means...
I think the main concern is that you allow airflow through the fins or it's not very useful.

If you mean rotating it from 9-3 to 12-6 I don't think that would matter too much because the oil is pushed through, not gravity fed. (Just practical thinking, I can't see any issue with that)

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
Quick question
Is there any popular turbo i can take 57-60mm comp wheel from to do ct26 upgrade?

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Silver MK3;2024988 said:
Or stock Toyota rubber ones.
but how can you get the OEM bushings? I haven't been able to get part numbers or anything. I want to order them online since it's usually cheaper than going to my dealer.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
yea I have the front control arms just haven't installed them yet I cannot for the life of me find the rear upper control arms.