The rebirth of a dream

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Hey there Supramania - I just found this site a couple weeks ago - this place is great compared to what was on the web just 4 or 5 years ago!

Well it's been 3 years since I shelved my Supra in exchange for a GrandAm. I'd just gotten tired of pouring money into the Supra and I'd had a little fender bender and just bought a new car impulsively. I've missed my Supra almost since day one.
Here's a pic:
p657687_1.jpg

Admittedly, my Supra looked more like this when I took it off the road:
p657687_2.jpg

You can't tell from the pic but those are snow tires on the car - that should explain the accident... :)

So I'd been thinking about rebuilding my baby all along but then came Forza2 and the steering wheel for my xbox360... Within a week I was negotiating with various sellers on the internet looking for the perfect targa top parts car that I could rebuild using the engine (and everything else) from my old Supra. Today I picked up my new hobby (towed it for 2 hours with a 4cyl Tacoma - Go Toyota!) :
p657687_3.jpg

It doesn't look like much now but the body is perfect, besides of course the fact that it was sprayed with epoxy primer, and it has a brand-new full body kit that hasn't even been painted or installed yet. The car seems to run fine tho it's a manual trans. and since I've always driven an automatic I'll be pulling the auto-trans from my old supra and putting it in this one.

Well that's my introduction, hopefully there'll be enough to my project to make one of those build-threads. Although I want to get it done close to stock to start with and add mods as time/desire/funds allow. I'm sure I'm going to have a ton of questions in the coming months, especially when it comes time for me to paint (or get painted) the car. I haven't decided if I'm ready to take on the challenge of painting a car yet...

-Dan88t

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Huh... I'm trying to decide if I should be offended that my intro thread is the only one on the front page with no replies... Oh well, I hope I get more replies when I start asking questions, the garage is cleaned out and ready for a double-supra-teardown, Should have at least one engine out this saturday...

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
Welcome back! I too was surprised how much info was out there when I bought mine 2 years ago. I took 4 years off without one and as you know they keep coming back :)

Good luck with the project, get some good tires this time.

CampbellsChunkySoupra

best be eating your soup!
Jan 28, 2007
Norwalk, IA
www.dragsource.net
well, it looks like a nice start! although i dont care for that front bumper, the rest looks nice!

what color are u painting it and what mods do u have planned for the motor? [sorry if i missed that in your posts]

ps. Welcome to the best supra place on earth!

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Hey, thanks for the replies! I never wanted to give up the Supra, I was just so frustrated with one repair after another and then wiping out in the snow and messin it up was the final straw. I'm thrilled to finally have the money to get a Supra goin again. The ram-air on my grandam just isn't exactly a turbo.

For color I'm thinking a dark midnight blue pearl. That bumper is HUGE - I fit it on my old supra that's been lowered and it looks like i'll probably have a couple of inches of clearance but until I have it all bolted up I won't know for sure. I'm just wondering what I'm going to do for fog-lights, those holes in that bumper are like 7"...

As for mods my first goal is to pretty much just get build it stock (with MHG and ARP studs) and painted by the spring and then go with a bigger exhaust (maybe before spring on that) then eventually (like in the spring) the Lexus/550 mod, intercooler & piping, and either send my extra turbo off for an upgrade or buy a bigger one.

It's going to be a lot of work but I can't wait to get it goin - I'm pretty much completely gutting my old Supra including the interior, tranny, etc. Hopefully between the two engines I'll have enough to work with that I won't need a ton of machine work or anything.

I'll be taking plenty of pics (and probably starting a build-thread) once I get started with the first engine pull this weekend.

CampbellsChunkySoupra

best be eating your soup!
Jan 28, 2007
Norwalk, IA
www.dragsource.net
awesome! sounds like a fun project. ill be sure to check up on your build thread. definatly keep us posted and ask questions if u must. we are all here to help. but most of all, [there are some old people on here] hint* use the search button. :D

-Tyler

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Well I'll make sure any questions I ask will be not only very MK3 specific but probably more along the lines of "where do you guys buy ____" For most of the technical stuff I have one of the top Toyota guys in the country on retainer (retainer might not be the right word, he's my dad so it's free advice/help) :)

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Welcome...

Im not really feelin that Onderground body kit, but it looks like you have a good platform to start with... Your power plan sounds like a nice little set up, you should definately enjoy that...