Status
Not open for further replies.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
MDCmotorsports;1427654 said:
What say you? Which one?

Take the one your most comfortable with, strictly a personal choice.
Handle them both, see if there is anything annoying that may cost you your life if for some chance you need to use it.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
I prefer the Sig P238 since it's a single action gun. I've shot one and it's incredibly comfortable to operate even with my big hands. The thumb saftey is in the same position as most 1911's, and it's east to sweep off.

All of the LCP's I've fired had what I consider a crappy trigger, but I dislike DAO guns with heavy triggers and am used to carrying a single action cocked & locked.

The LCP has also ben recalled by Ruger due to accidental firings when dropped. They are retrofitting them to correct the issue. If you buy one, be sure it isn't one of the ones with a problem (See link below for how to check serial numbers):

http://www.ruger.com/LCPRecall/index.html

As a matter of preference I'd take the Sig.

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
supramk3speed;1427629 said:
I don't know if you have already covered this but what is the best cheap, powerfull and accurate rifle? Been thinking about getting a gun and i just love rifles. Plus, here in the south where hurricanes hit trust me there is a need ofr a gun whe martail law is in effect (everyone for themselves). That can happen anywhere, all the people who hate guns sure wish they had one when the shit hits the fan and they can't protect their family.

Personally I got myself a SKS. More accurate than the AK but uses the same round. 7.62x39. There is a wide range of stocks that you can choose from. I would suggest Tapco's line of stocks as well as their magazines that come in 5, 10, 20, and 30 capacity. Tapco also has 6 position extending stock kits for the SKS that look similar to the M-4 stock with a built in P-rail for mounting scopes or lasers. All of their stocks magazines and p-rails are composit plastic

With my cheap rifle and scope hitting something at a 100 yards is not that hard.

The downside of owning a SKS is you get to play 10 items of foreign make or less with 922r regs. Which will leave you more confused that a drunken frat boy hitting third base on a transvestite. Tapco has made it easy on SKS owners by making compliance kits.

pparrigo

India Delta OneZero Tango
Feb 12, 2008
WNY
supramk3speed;1427629 said:
I don't know if you have already covered this but what is the best cheap, powerfull and accurate rifle?

Cheap
Powerful
Accurate

-Pick two.

Accuracy really comes down to training and familiarity. If you are serious about using a weapon for defensive purposes, you have to train with it and become familiar with it.

The most accurate rifle in the world isn't going to hit anything if the person behind the trigger doesn't know what they're doing.

The SKS is a fairly good choice, but everything really depends on your definition of accurate.

You're not going to hit a golf ball at 100 yards with it consistently. I've had mine for a while and the best I've done is 10 rounds in a 3" circle at 50 yards, standing unsupported. For defensive shooting, this is more than acceptable- the 7.62x39 round will put them down, and you can be reasonably confident hitting a man-sized target up to 100 yards with a little practice. And you do have to practice, especially if you're not familiar with rifles.

pparrigo

India Delta OneZero Tango
Feb 12, 2008
WNY
MDCmotorsports;1428148 said:
Obviously you've never met Mosin or Nagant.

Oh, I am well acquainted with comrades Mosin and Nagant. I'm also familiar with herr mauser and mr. enfield. All reasonably priced, powerful, and accurate. I could not, however, recommend them as defensive firearms for a novice. The recoil is too harsh with full-power rounds like those in a bolt-action firearm to permit accurate shooting for a beginner, and in the likely event of a miss, the followup shot is too far away.

I own copies of the aforementioned rifles, and am a surplus rifle enthusiast. There are reasons, however, why those aren't the firearms I keep next to my bed. Full-power rounds are likely to overpenetrate and therefore have the potential to cause severe collateral damage. And while there is great merit in getting the job done in one shot, the ability to back that shot up quickly and accurately is key. This skill is much harder to polish in a bolt rifle than it is in a semiautomatic.

Truth be told, the ideal firearm (barring a handgun) for home defense is the 12 gauge, pump action shotgun (i.e. Mossberg 500/Remington 870). Inexpensive, easier to aim with effect, and slightly more intimidating (also important- if you can defend your home without firing a shot, you're that much better off.)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Add to that list a Winchester 1200 Defender...got one under my bed loaded with 6 shots of #4 Buck ;)
Any moron that comes in your house, hears you rack up a round, and doesn't run like hell is either really stupid or on some serious drugs.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Or Mr. Garand...

I will agree, shotgun is the best home defense weapon (it's so good at killing people they were banned in warfare just like hollowpoints).

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
If i were in a place where it becomes each man for himself, the one rifle I can always count on is my k31. Bolt action is straight pull, rounds are nickle clad weather sealed with wax, and can hit bulleye at 200 yards from bench rest open sights.

...and jon, are you set on a semi-auto pistol? if not, considered a ruger 357 revolver?

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
The only rifle i've shot with bar a 22. , was a m4 ( im pretty sure its russian). That thing was loud. It was loud enough to silence my father in laws SKS. It had a lot of kick but with how powerfull it was it was damn accurate. I was wondering why they aren't really a big deal, it was fun to me! Im sure you can tell but im a novice on guns, lol. But hey the more you ask the more you learn.

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
The only problem I have with a SKS is it's potential to slam fire. If you don't keep the firing pin assembly clean it will go full auto on you and you will be doing up to 10 years in a federal pen for a weapons malfunction. A few SKS owners are in jail now because their SKS went into rock-n-roll mode on them. Thankfully there are spring loaded firing pins made to stop that from happening.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
supramk3speed;1428387 said:
The only rifle i've shot with bar a 22. , was a m4 ( im pretty sure its russian). That thing was loud. It was loud enough to silence my father in laws SKS. It had a lot of kick but with how powerfull it was it was damn accurate. I was wondering why they aren't really a big deal, it was fun to me! Im sure you can tell but im a novice on guns, lol. But hey the more you ask the more you learn.

a russian 22 m4? *scratches head*

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
pparrigo;1428173 said:
Oh, I am well acquainted with comrades Mosin and Nagant. I'm also familiar with herr mauser and mr. enfield. All reasonably priced, powerful, and accurate. I could not, however, recommend them as defensive firearms for a novice. The recoil is too harsh with full-power rounds like those in a bolt-action firearm to permit accurate shooting for a beginner, and in the likely event of a miss, the followup shot is too far away.

I own copies of the aforementioned rifles, and am a surplus rifle enthusiast. There are reasons, however, why those aren't the firearms I keep next to my bed. Full-power rounds are likely to overpenetrate and therefore have the potential to cause severe collateral damage. And while there is great merit in getting the job done in one shot, the ability to back that shot up quickly and accurately is key. This skill is much harder to polish in a bolt rifle than it is in a semiautomatic.

Truth be told, the ideal firearm (barring a handgun) for home defense is the 12 gauge, pump action shotgun (i.e. Mossberg 500/Remington 870). Inexpensive, easier to aim with effect, and slightly more intimidating (also important- if you can defend your home without firing a shot, you're that much better off.)

Wonderful post and good info. :)

Poodles;1428199 said:
Or Mr. Garand...

I will agree, shotgun is the best home defense weapon (it's so good at killing people they were banned in warfare just like hollowpoints).

Yup. 12 gauge shotty next to my bed too....

labrat469;1428479 said:
The only problem I have with a SKS is it's potential to slam fire. If you don't keep the firing pin assembly clean it will go full auto on you and you will be doing up to 10 years in a federal pen for a weapons malfunction. A few SKS owners are in jail now because their SKS went into rock-n-roll mode on them. Thankfully there are spring loaded firing pins made to stop that from happening.

Installing a spring return firing pin will fix this problem. There's a few companies that sell them....

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
I think its a 50 cal, its got huge bullets (shot this gun 4 years ago, so can't remember specifics), when i go to my father in laws this weekend i will ask what cal it is and im 90 percent sure its an m4. Oh and i think you thought i meant it was a 22 cal, it definately wasn't. I worded that wrong i meant to say i have shot a 22 caliber rifle AND the m4. Oops,lol.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
supramk3speed;1429121 said:
I think its a 50 cal, its got huge bullets (shot this gun 4 years ago, so can't remember specifics), when i go to my father in laws this weekend i will ask what cal it is and im 90 percent sure its an m4. Oh and i think you thought i meant it was a 22 cal, it definately wasn't. I worded that wrong i meant to say i have shot a 22 caliber rifle AND the m4. Oops,lol.

An m4 generally fires 5.56 Nato/.223 Rem

.50's are fairly rare pieces of weaponry and are extremely expensive to buy, and insanely expensive to shoot. .50 BMG ammo tends to go for $40 to $50 for a 10 round box...

50-cal-image.jpg

Notice the dollar bill in the background as a size comparison.

The one on the far right is a .22 long rifle.

The one next to it is the 5.56 Nato/.223 Remington round that an M4 fires.

The one after that is the 7.62 x 39 round commonly fired by an AK-47.

The one after that is the .308 Winchester - the round that most benchrest competition target shooters use. It's my personal favorite.

The one after that is the .300 Winchester magnum, a monster of a round, great for killing thinks like Elk.

The far left round is a .50 BMG - if you had fired that, you'd know it. If you did, it fired out of something like this:

BarrettM82A1NG.jpg

blkt72

Aug 14, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
Placed my FIRST LaRue order today.

Funny thing is I live on LaRue Drive
icon_smile_shock.gif

Couldn't be happier, here's the stuff:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1429461_1.jpg

My order was the ACOG mount, hat and patches on the left, 2 bags and a 1911 tool.

Freebies were the hat on the right, a Dillo, 2 bumper stickers and DILLO DUST
icon_smile_tongue.gif
Can't wait to try that stuff!

Ordered last Sun., shipped Mon. and received today. Texas to Ohio, not bad.

This was my first purchase but won't be my last.

Thanks Mark and everyone at LaRue!

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
Thanks for the post, yeah definately wasn't a 50 cal. That is just a frick'n huge ass round. With how much damage the 5.56 nato does to a bowling pin i could only imagine what a 50 cal could do. I seen on mythbusters them literally cut a huge ass tree in half with a gattling gun, kind of off subject but i still thought that was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.