Status
Not open for further replies.

NoKittenMKIII

40mm BOOM
Mar 22, 2009
Sands of Iraq
Captain;1385386 said:
Good reading, thanks.

I never understood single point slings, but it came with the rifle.

Just put a Kimber 8400 Advanced Tactical in .300WM on layaway. Took the shop 11 months to get after ordering. Opinions on Kimber rifles?

If it's half as good as their 1911, it's gonna be a bloody awesome gun.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Captain;1385386 said:
Good reading, thanks.

Just put a Kimber 8400 Advanced Tactical in .300WM on layaway. Took the shop 11 months to get after ordering. Opinions on Kimber rifles?

I've never dealt with a Kimber rifle. I have dealt with 1911's coming out of Kimber's Custom Shop, and they are some of the finest pistols I've worked with.

In general, that sort of quality spans product lines. The only exception I can think of is CZ. They make fantastic rifles and pistols but can't make a shotgun worth a shit...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Captain;1385386 said:
Good reading, thanks.

You got yourself a tack driver ;)
(at least the ones I've shot)

Captain

Sep 30, 2008
NM
I've never shot anything from Kimber so this will be new to me. Sounds like a lot of fun though:icon_mrgr
I'll post pics when I pick it up.

shaggyskadude13

AAARRRGGGHH!!!!!
May 16, 2007
Rockledge, Florida
p1407196_1.jpg

Bought myself a carry weapon today. XD-9 subcompact.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
As of last night, I am now the president of the Greater Louisville chapter of Friends of NRA, and I'm setting a goal of at least 30% growth in fund raising over 2009.

If anyone doesn't know who FNRA is, it is a not-for-profit 501C3 foundation that raises money every year to fund scholarships and youth shooting sports (4H, Boy Scouts, etc), Junior ROTC, ad the Eddie Eagle program which sends officers into schools to teach young children exactly how to react if they come across a gun at a friends house or anywhere. As a completely non-political, not for profit charitable organization, I am excited about an organization that supports the next generation of safe, responsible and law abiding shooters and supporters of the 2nd Amendment. That's grass roots!

If any of that gets your interest, visit www.nrafoundation.org and look for the Friends of NRA tab, then go look for your state and local chapters. Annual banquets are a great time with a TON of prizes including firearms & shooting gear, prints, outdoor gear and more, and you might find something going on at any time. Of course you can always get involved and have some fun with little time committment. I have met some of the most generous and friendly people ever, and it has been worth my time to be a part of this organization. Finally, FNRA aside, make sure you've got a current NRA membership!

Last edited:

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
Does the parallax of a centerfire rifle scope @100 yards mean its unusable on a .22 rimfire?
Most shots are at 50yds or less.
Parallax is the movement of crosshairs in relation to target picture when the eye is moved in relation to the scope correct? Not focus of the crosshairs?

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
Today I picked up a Yugo SKS. I don't know who owned it before but cleaning it was not one of the things he did. I spent three hours cleaning the damn thing!! I had a Norico SKS years back but had to sell it to pay some bills that took less time to get the cosmolene off.

Hopefully this weekend I will get some target time in with it.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Found elswhere, though I'd share:

Why I love the Garand

"It satisfies the eyes. It looks warm, robust, serious, and capable. It looks like victory, freedom and liberation. It looks friendly. It does not look evil. It does not look delicate. It does not look cheap.

"It satisfies the ears. The clocklike schnick when you pull the bolt back. The warning click as you shove home another 8 round clip. The massive, solid slam as the bolt rams another round into the chamber. The deep throated bark of the muzzle as you fire away. The final Ka-Ting as the empty clip is ejected. The horrifying scream of agony as the guy four benches down learns never to hesitate when removing his thumb from a freshly loaded clip.

"It satisfies the touch. The warm sculpted wood. The curve of the stock. The curl of the bolt lug. The take-up of the trigger. The robust, solid, yet unsharp push of the kick.

"It satisfies the soul. It is the defender of liberty. It is the champion of victory. It is the guarantor of freedom. It will not be used to rob banks. No terrorist will unleash it on a crowd of unarmed victims. No gangster will use it to shoot little girls while missing his imagined gangster enemies. It is the good guy's weapon. It is just the ticket to liberate a country. It opens the doors of concentration camps. It saves people from tyranny. It topples dictators. It squashes fascists. It pushes communists behind their walls. It defends the homeland. It provides for the common defense. It is necessary for the security of a free state. It brings joy to women and children as they fire it. It strikes fear in the hearts of those that oppose freedom. It makes friends at the shooting range. It reminds us of the cost of freedom. Its lavish expense is appropriately justified.

"It is your duty as an American to own one. Get one now. Buy ammo. Use it. Never mind the price, find the best one you can. You have no excuse. Production lines are starting back up. The time is now.

"Be careful with your thumb."

unknown author

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
About the same points that make the M1A a favorite of mine.
But even though I swore I would never own a plastic/aluminum AR,
once I chose to go that way (Armalite AR10), I can't think why I would ever go back.
The 16" AR just feels better in close quarters, and the ability to have drop-on other barrel/upper set-ups is nice.

I have yet to try out my long barrel upper, so not sure about how I will like it out to 600 yards, but being .308, it should hold it's own.

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
Have you seen the config of a .50 upper on a AR lower? Big barrel, small lower and stock and NO RECOIL PAD! I saw one at my favorite gun shop. I don't know what they call it but I call it a shoulder breaker.

pparrigo

India Delta OneZero Tango
Feb 12, 2008
WNY
labrat469;1427344 said:
Have you seen the config of a .50 upper on a AR lower? Big barrel, small lower and stock and NO RECOIL PAD! I saw one at my favorite gun shop. I don't know what they call it but I call it a shoulder breaker.

There are at least two companies that make those that I know of. Safety Harbor Firearms makes an upper (18"-30") called the SHtF 50 (Shit Hits the Fan sounds like a reasonable explanation for the acronym :p) and a company called Spider Firearms makes a conversion kit called the Ferret .50 in a bunch of different grades.

I considered getting one for the novelty of it, and I still might at some point.

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
I don't know if you have already covered this but what is the best cheap, powerfull and accurate rifle? Been thinking about getting a gun and i just love rifles. Plus, here in the south where hurricanes hit trust me there is a need ofr a gun whe martail law is in effect (everyone for themselves). That can happen anywhere, all the people who hate guns sure wish they had one when the shit hits the fan and they can't protect their family.

Status
Not open for further replies.