The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Yeah, those little Kahrs do take a bit more effort to release/rack. My H&K is easier to pull back the slide than the CW9, but I would say the slide release is a tossup between the two [my wife seems to think the H&K is harder, but that might be because it is bigger and harder for her to hold and get more control over].

Got these today, along with some ammo cans [which were rusty, by the way] and dessicant:

Ammo25pct.jpg

Left to right:
.45ACP Federal American Eagle 230gr
.45ACP Winchester "White Box" 230gr
.45ACP Speer Gold Dot 230gr

9MM Federal American Eagle 115gr
9mm Winchester "White Box" 115gr
9mm Speer Gold Dot 147gr

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
DsBetterHalf;1200652 said:
I decided against the Kahr K9. I could rack the slide fine, but I couldn't get it to release for me...a little too tough with my carpal tunnel.

Funny thing - I just traded my MK9 for a PM9 today and found something interesting in the owner's manual. Kahr decided that you should know if you have an empty magazine and intentionally made the guns difficult to release the slide if there are no rounds in the mag. As soon as you load one up and slap it in the grip, it gets MUCH easier to release. I read your post and was really amazed at how hard it was to close at the store, but then I found this in the manual after I got to work. I just loaded it for the first time, and it is a huge difference!

So I instead ended up with a Smith & Wesson M&P compact 9mm. Fits me comfortably, no trouble with the slide, and not heavy enough to drag on my wrist. I get to go pick it up next week when I get paid and can pay the rest of what I owe on it. :)

I'm sure Doward will be on here later to tell more about it, I'm just excited (my first gun) and wanted to share with my limited knowledge. :D

It's hard to go wrong with a Smith & Wesson. Congrats on your first pistol! :)

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Doward;1201655 said:
Shhh.... I'm still thinking of a K9 for my own use ;)

Practice, practice, practice.
I went to the range yesterday and shot the CW9 some more. It IS accurate, but VERY susceptible to trigger-pull. The length of pull on the trigger doesn't help this, as it makes for more adjusting during the long, slow pull.

I shot the H&K more as well. I have to say, just a little more practice [and change in how I held it - thanks 03bama] made that thing a tack driver for me. It feels like a very short trigger pull. I put a little pressure and after very little travel a round is spent. It is adjustable, but I don't think I will mess with that yet. Next time I go I will have to set up 4 targets on each holder and set two of them out, one each at two different ranges from shooting position, and do shot groups of 3-5 in each. I'm not sure of how far the targets were away, but I put 3 rounds in an area that could be covered by a half-dollar.
Also, for shits and grins I revisited the idea of switching off between right and left-handed shooting and can confirm that I'm an ambi shooter. I will probably keep most shooting right-handed however, due to things like safety and slide release levers being on the left, and rifle rounds ejecting into a lefty's face. Can these things be fixed with additional hardware? Sure. That doesn't mean I want to buy it if I don't have to.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I'm a fan of the M&P 9mm.. Almost bought the compact, but went with the "midsize" version. (There are 3 options with two frames. The compact frame and shorter slide and barrel. Then two built of the slightly larger frame, one with a barrel about 1/2" longer than the compact, and one with a much longer barrel than the compact.)

I bought this as my new carry gun, and I wanted a CTC grip, and S&W is selling it as a package. (You save about 20.00, but it's a nice setup.)

I've shot over 200 cheap Wolf rounds so far, no stove pipes, no failures to feed. Basicly, no problems at all. (Wolf will stove pipe from time to time on my PT, but since I polished the feed ramp, no more failures to feed at all, even with a 30 round magazine, and fast shooting.)

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
wheres a good place to buy empty shells for my 8mm mauser? i got the dies. just need bullets and emptys. could also use a 1904 8mm mauser bayonet. where would i find that?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
So here's a hell of a pisser. Brought Laura's M&P 9c to the range (against her wishes - she wanted to fire her gun tomorrow!) and found one hell of a problem.

With a full magazine (12 rds) the first two rounds fired will force the magazine out of the well!

Imagine my surprise, I take up the trigger, fire, and the magazine shoots into my hand! Did this repeatedly, sometimes feeding a round, sometimes not.

Very pissed/aggrevated about this, but I'm very glad I found this problem before letting my wife handle the gun. We'll back taking it back to the place we purchased it from tomorrow to get this taken care of.

pparrigo

India Delta OneZero Tango
Feb 12, 2008
WNY
After approximately 5 years of knocking AR-15s, I finally bought one over the weekend. It was more or less an informed impulse buy, if there is such a thing. Smith and Wesson M&P150R. Flattop, 16" bull barrel, EOTech 512.

These things are kind of fun. I'm done hating them.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
After doing a little shopping with the family, I worked out a final package deal on some of these, we took care of all the necessary paperwork and here's our family's Merry Christmas:

picture.php

For the wife: S&W 642 Airweight .38 sp +P
For the daughter: Taurus 85 Hammerless Ultra Lite .38 sp +P
For the son: Red Ryder BB Gun (w/ safety glasses, of course ;) )
For me: Kahr PM9 (traded in my MK9 with very little $$), and a Daisy 008K CO2 pistol for time with the boy in the back yard.

I forgot to add in the excellent condition Mossberg 500A that I picked up the other day, but I didn't want to show off or anything. :p

We're all heading to the range tomorrow with all of these and some clay pigeons. Can't wait! :D

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Doward;1204550 said:
So here's a hell of a pisser. Brought Laura's M&P 9c to the range (against her wishes - she wanted to fire her gun tomorrow!) and found one hell of a problem.

With a full magazine (12 rds) the first two rounds fired will force the magazine out of the well!

Imagine my surprise, I take up the trigger, fire, and the magazine shoots into my hand! Did this repeatedly, sometimes feeding a round, sometimes not.

Very pissed/aggrevated about this, but I'm very glad I found this problem before letting my wife handle the gun. We'll back taking it back to the place we purchased it from tomorrow to get this taken care of.

http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2007/08/got-my-sw-mp-9c-back-from-factory.html

Seems you aren't the only one with this problem.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Funny you mention that - The gun store I bought it from switched the magazine release to the other side, and that 'fixed' the problem (according to them)

Me, being an engineer, just completely disassembled the pistol to figure out how it works. What do you know? The mag catch is worn on the corner - allowing the magazine to drop when the first rounds are fired under full spring pressure (from the magazine)

Called S&W @ 7:57pm EST and they are sending me a new magazine catch, free of charge.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Doward;1206798 said:
Funny you mention that - The gun store I bought it from switched the magazine release to the other side, and that 'fixed' the problem (according to them)

Me, being an engineer, just completely disassembled the pistol to figure out how it works. What do you know? The mag catch is worn on the corner - allowing the magazine to drop when the first rounds are fired under full spring pressure (from the magazine)

Called S&W @ 7:57pm EST and they are sending me a new magazine catch, free of charge.

There you go! Crisis averted. I can't believe the gun store would use a shoddy fix like that. The reason they probably did that is because they figured you or previous customers were accidentally hitting it with the way it was gripped. The thing is, barely hitting a mag release shouldn't drop it - it should be made so that it is never unintentional, but should still be easy enough that you have to press the darn thing.
The next time you go in that store you should ask them if they want to use duct tape next time.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Personally I'd find another gun store. If my gunsmith ever pulled a stunt like that, he'd never touch another one of my weapons again...

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I'll have to keep my eyes on the magazine catch on my M&P 9. No problems at this point, but It is a new gun, so there should be no problems.

I have thought about adding some more "grip" to the frame. (With a hot iron.) A stipple pattern in the right places would add to the control of the gun, especially if my hands were wet.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Supracentral;1206838 said:
Personally I'd find another gun store. If my gunsmith ever pulled a stunt like that, he'd never touch another one of my weapons again...

Much like my vehicles (and computers, and really every damn thing else in the world I own) I'm going to do my own repairs on my own weapons ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.