The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

j3pz

still learning
03bamaGT;1186947 said:
Need to know what you want it for?

Second...I would recommend 9mm, just because cost of shooting it is low and will allow you to get aquainted with HGs faster and cheaper.

just something small for security and can take out and have fun shooting at targets once in a while. i was thinking 9mm also since it seems pretty common and will give me a chance to get acquainted with hand guns.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
That Caspian custom is definitely not my gun haha...wish it was.

Just a picture I dug up to show good form.

As far as the stipling...I have done it on some Glocks and similar composites. Very easy, and helps a lot.

That grip is one of the most secure grips out there and is the one taught in most pistol training applications for LE as well as comp shooting. Give it a try...you will like it, not at first but put a few mags through and notice group sizes get smaller and you get more comfortable with it.

j3pz;1192050 said:
just something small for security and can take out and have fun shooting at targets once in a while. i was thinking 9mm also since it seems pretty common and will give me a chance to get acquainted with hand guns.

How much do you want to spend?

I would suggest a good 4 inch compact model...not sub-compact because they are not as fun to shoot.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
03bamaGT;1191432 said:
Something like this. Modify this setup to make it comfortable for you...but this is the proper pistol grip technique. Having your left thumb forward is key. This should reduce your group size and make you feel more in control. Try it out.

Thanks for the advice. I will give that a try next time I go out.
This weekend was more about getting a feel for the guns and starting the break-in procedure. Aside from familiarization, burning off a hundred rounds or so is an excuse for cleaning, especially with Wolf in the rifles and Winchester white box in the pistols. It will be a little bit before I get into really going for nice shot groups with with USP. Hell, this weekend I learned that up close I shoot fine ambi, but farther away right handed is the way for me. Left handed has always FELT correct to me with a pistol, but I shoot a rifle right-handed.
This may be a chance for me to work on both.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Got my Tactical Innovations billet lower today. Only had to wait about a week. Got it before they bumped the price up $20 too...

lllll005vr4.jpg

lllll001tw3.jpg

Ordered an RRA lower parts kit today along with a CAA Tactical stock and a few P Mags. Going to hold off on the upper until I have a little more liquidity ifyouknowwutimsayin.

Last edited:

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
Well the county sheriff has deemed me as safe to carry a concealed weapon. I picked up my permit today. Now I have to get used to my new shoulder rig. It has actually improved my posture by forcing me not to hunch my shoulders, lol

tweak666

May 11, 2006
boca raton, FL
question for those of you who are buying ar-15 recievers, is it more economical to buy a complete rifle? or to buy a rifle kit, stripped lower and parts kit and assemble yourself? I saw a couple sites where the upper and complete lower worked out to the same price as a complete.
how differerent are AR's to FN/FAL's in terms of maintenance and breakdown?

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
It really turns out to be the sameish.

The big plus is you can put all the parts you want in it...instead of buying and then upgrading a complete rifle.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
dirtlord420;1199769 said:
what would be a good price for a smith and wesson .44 magnum revolver? am wanting it with about a 8in barrel.

A lot...

Because the 8inch only comes in their new 629 Powerport models I think. Which means more money. Like 750 at the absolute lowest, probably used to 1100 bucks. Just estimating though.

MSRP is around 1100.

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
^^^thats it. my grandpa has the same gun. i think he paid 400 for his. damn thats way out of my price range. one of the best shooting pistols i've shot besides a 218 bee i think that had a 9-10in barrel. it was a turus now thats a bad ass gun. it holds like seven shots. its very loud, and the bullet takes off very fast. anyone in the alabama area we reload.

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
Well....after driving the man at the gun shop crazy today....

I decided against the Kahr K9. I could rack the slide fine, but I couldn't get it to release for me...a little too tough with my carpal tunnel.

So I instead ended up with a Smith & Wesson M&P compact 9mm. Fits me comfortably, no trouble with the slide, and not heavy enough to drag on my wrist. I get to go pick it up next week when I get paid and can pay the rest of what I owe on it. :)

I'm sure Doward will be on here later to tell more about it, I'm just excited (my first gun) and wanted to share with my limited knowledge. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.