The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WetBoostedDreams

Supra Fanatic
Apr 4, 2007
Redmond, WA
I'd like to hear opinions on the Springfield XD-9 Sub-Compact from anyone who owns one. When I get out of CA I plan on getting my CCW and am looking for something, well, concealable. :) I've checked out the XD-9 at a gun shop and like the feel of it in my hand. My concern is that I've heard varying opinions on its reliability. Anyone here have personal experience? Is there something you like much better? Keep in mind I'm a 5'6" female so I prefer something that's easier to shoot. I've heard great things about the plastic fantastics but I didn't like the feel of the Glock. I currently have a Ruger 22/45 and am very happy with it, but obviously that's no good for concealed carry. Thanks guys & gals!

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Ive shot many a xd-9.

Ive never had a problem with them except when it comes to cheap hollowpoint ammo.

Run some Hornaday TAP and you should be fine.

They are a great gun IMO, and even though the trigger has been compared to a Block (replace the b with a g), it shoots quite nice right out of the box.

My only reservation on the XD series, is the fact that its made in Croatia.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
I might pick up an XD45 45 ACP 4" compact...or maybe the XD45 45 ACP 3" sub-compact. Trying to figure out which is best for me.

Nevermind this....I'm getting a Ruger P345PR, feels better in my hand then the XD45.

rug_kp345.jpg

Last edited:

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Clueless said:
I might pick up an XD45 45 ACP 4" compact...or maybe the XD45 45 ACP 3" sub-compact. Trying to figure out which is best for me.

Nevermind this....I'm getting a Ruger P345PR, feels better in my hand then the XD45.

rug_kp345.jpg

Ive never heard good things about those.... :3d_frown:

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
MDCmotorsports said:
The early rugers such as you have pictured were said to be constant jamming machines.

Ive never seen any LEO department carrying them, have you?

http://www.galleryofguns.com/ShootingTimes/Articles/DisplayArticles.asp?ID=5944

http://www.galleryofguns.com said:
Shooting the P345 with a variety of factory and handloaded ammunition, the new Ruger proved to be absolutely reliable with everything tried. The double-action pull measured a smooth eight pounds and five ounces, and the single-action pull measured five pounds and six ounces. I shot the weapon from every possible angle, holding the gun upside down, vertical, and on either side to encourage a malfunction. The gun never stuttered. The cartridge is held by the large extractor while being fed from the magazine, offering a type of controlled-round feeding system, and it works very well.

This one I'll be getting been out a while so surely they'll have the bugs worked out.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I got to pop off a few mags in the P95 yesterday/after reading the link you posted John I do believe that I'm one of the guys on there that isn't experiencing any jam issues so far :)

Oh, it's a decocker model BTW: P95DC blued steel

The manual states it as a P95DPR IIRC...

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
I've shot the ported XD in 9mm. Nice gun, but I have a hard time getting used to the flame and shock from the anti-kick coming back in my face. I can get a nice tight group rapid firing.

My standard sidearm(at present) is a 9mm Baby Eagle. Shoots very well, and seems fairly accurate. Easy to dismantle, clean, and reassemble. Only problem I've had with it was jamming with the extended magazine. With the stock mag. it doesn't have a problem.
My all time favorite is the Springfield 1911 Mil Spec. Easily customizable, and just plain comfortable to shoot.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
My .45 baby eagle was a jammo-matic. It's heavy enough to be a club when it does so, lol.

In all seriousness, I had reliability issues with mine and it was just too tall (bottom of grip to top of rear site) and heavy to be a good concealed piece. It was a great gun to shoot. Very comfortable with very managable recoil.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
I've read in several places that the .45 Baby Eagle jammed a good deal, and are hard to be accurate with. The 9 is a dream. Accurate, cheap to shoot, and doesn't jam with the stock clip. The extended mag. seems to jam consistently at the 11th round with Remington, Winchester, or UMC(?) Luger rounds. My 9 weighs around 24 oz. fully loaded, I think? Feels less than a 2 lb. weight. I'll have to bring my postal scale home and weigh it. It is very comfortable in my hand, and feels well balanced.

I've carried it tucked in the back of my pants, with my shirt out, and no one knew it was there. I couldn't carry it concealed on my side, but I'd have a hard time concealing any gun that way.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I've had problems with Wolf ammo on many guns, but my 9mm Taurus PT92 has been fed everything from fine USA manufactured stuff, to cheap Chinese and Russian ammo. (The China stuff was loaded for sub machine guns, and very hot, the Wolf Russian stuff barely has enough powder in some loads to get the gun to cycle...)

Round to round, the Wolf stuff is never consistant. That makes it pretty hard to shoot accurately with it, and unless you just want to plink/rock n roll, a waste of money in my book.

For the money, the pistols made in Brazil by Taurus are the best deals out there at the moment. The XD is nice, but it's made in Check, or Yugoslavia, so not really a USA gun anyway...

The full size PT is concealable, but I'm leaning towards buying another, smaller 9mm Taurus, perhaps the Ti version. :)

Light, best trigger stock out there, and the cost is very reasonable.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Merry Christmas to me.....finished my second AR and got the lower built for the third. Whenever I figure out how to use this new camera, I'll post pics :)

Status
Not open for further replies.