The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
my dad has a smith and wesson sigma 40. he got it on sale for 289, normal price is around 350 i think. its a pretty good gun, hold 14 rnds and comes with two mags. they also make the gun in 9mm, that version holds 16 rnds. i have shot both versions and like them both. the 9mm has a little less recoil and the ammo is cheaper as well, so that might be a better gun if it is your first. Another choice would be the Walther pk380. i picked up one of those for $329 over the summer. it holds 8 rounds and has almost no recoil. it is super comfortable to shoot. the only downside is that the ammo is expensive and the gun only comes with one 8 round mags; the cheapest i could find mags for was around 35-40 bucks.

hope that helps.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
MDCmotorsports;1427654 said:
Talk to me ladies and gents. A new job requires I have something on the ankle.
My choices are:

-Ruger LCP
-Sig P238

What say you? Which one?

Jon, did you ever get one of these? I'm starting to look at something for CCW that's easy to hide.

I've looked at:

Ruger LCP
Sig p238
Kel-Tec P3at
Taurus Millenimum pro .380

Haven't actually been do a shop to hold any or feel them out. Reviews seem to be very biased, even if the reviewer claims not to be.

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
For those that are interested in the starlight scope I have.

It comes in this cool box.
GEDC0161.JPG

It's straight out of the soviet union, very cool history
GEDC0162.JPG

It came with all sorts of accessories, original manual in russian, big battery pack, carrying case, and different cams so that it can be used for different calibers.
GEDC0163.JPG

Here it is on my PSL-54c
GEDC0164.JPG

Close up of the reverse side
GEDC0165.JPG

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
funky_monkey58;1680794 said:
http://www.ruger.com/products/lcp/index.html?r=y
I checked one of these out the other day, and it is pretty close to exactly what I want. (something small and lightweight for back packing)

Have you looked at any of the others here?
shaeff;1679988 said:
[strike]Ruger LCP[/strike]
Sig p238
Kel-Tec P3at
Taurus Millenimum pro .380

Haven't actually been do a shop to hold any or feel them out. Reviews seem to be very biased, even if the reviewer claims not to be.

I'm trying to figure out which would be the best to go with. I'm leaning toward the Sig, but have yet to make up my mind.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I have the chance to buy a Walther PK380, its $325 on a local forum, its BIN. I've been looking for a hand gun for a while, I need thoughts on this! Should I pick it up? Faster response the better, need to kinda decide quick.

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
SupraMario;1686310 said:
I have the chance to buy a Walther PK380, its $325 on a local forum, its BIN. I've been looking for a hand gun for a while, I need thoughts on this! Should I pick it up? Faster response the better, need to kinda decide quick.

Is it new or used? I picked one up last summer after my 21sit birthday. It's a really comfortable gun to shoot, and its pretty small so it will be good for a cc. My only complaints are that .380acp is more expensive than 9mm or .40 cal and that the amgs are freaking 40 dollars if you want more than one. I know some people on the walther forums complain that the gun isnt made in a walther factory and that they jam. I've put about 300 rounds thru my gun with it only jamming one me once. I hink its a decent gun form the money.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
SupraMario;1686310 said:

GunTests (get a subscription, it's worth it) gave it a B-and rated a couple of other pocket .380's considerably higher.

Here's what they had to say about it (check the .PDF at the bottom after reading the article):

Walther PK380 No. WAP40001 380 ACP, $393

To view the Walter PK380 online, we first typed in smith-wesson.com, scrolled down to the very bottom of the page and clicked on the words Walther America in fine print. Up came the Walther page. We then clicked on the word Firearms in the upper left hand corner. Walther America lists six handgun lines and one carbine. The PK380 was first available in March of 2009 and its profile complete with polymer frame reflects the P99 pistol on a slightly smaller scale. A check of the dimensions shows an overall length and height of about 6.5 inches by 5.2 inches. Barrel length was listed as 3.66 inches. The full-size P99 pistols were listed as measuring 7.1 inches long by about 5.3 inches tall with a 4.2-inch long barrel. In both cases the polymer grip frame offered a teardrop or bird’s-head profile to fill the palm. Most noticeable of the features shared with the bigger gun was the ambidextrous magazine release hiding in the rear lower contour of the trigger guard. The polymer lower also featured a full-length dustcover with integral accessory rail and flush-fit takedown latch.

The slide on the PK380 was scored with rear cocking serrations and topped with a three-dot sight system. The sights were made from polymer, and we noticed that the rear notch was very wide. The rear unit was adjustable for windage only. Magazine capacity was 8 rounds held in a single column. The basepad added about one-half inch to the front strap and looked as though it should have been mated to a wide-body high-capacity magazine. Three such magazines were supplied.

The only way to lock the slide back the on the PK380 was to insert an empty magazine and let the mechanism react to this condition. Field stripping began with using a special key to unlock the takedown levers located in the frame directly above the center of the trigger guard. Access to the lock was from either side of the frame, and the two levers, which were more like panels, needed to be pulled down simultaneously. Requiring a key to begin field stripping is not ideal in our view, as the key can easily be misplaced. In fact, we learned that replacement keys were not always immediately available in lieu of shipment from the German factory.

A safety lever was located on both sides of the slide just below the rear sight. The lever action was forward of its hinge with safe-on at about seven o’clock. The safe-off ready-to-fire position was when the lever was swept upward in line with the bore. The hammer had a rather short stem. The spur or top of the hammer was round with grooves for grip. But these grooves were not very effective, in our view. Combined with a slick finish and an almost ball-like profile, we were hesitant to perform a manual decock as required for hammer-down carry. The routine for manual decocking was to rack the slide and fill the chamber. This can be done with the pistol on safe. With the lever still in the on-safe position, the hammer is then held back by the shooter. The trigger was pressed until it clicked. At this point the index finger was removed from the trigger. The hammer could then be safely lowered. Actually, once the chamber was loaded and the gun placed on safe, the trigger can be used to drop the hammer to a safe position without the shooter controlling the hammer. But loading the gun, putting the gun on safe and pulling the trigger is not recommended.

At the bench we noticed right away that the rear notch was so wide it was going to be difficult to regulate and compare the amount of light showing between the sides of the front sight blade and the inner walls of the rear sight notch. We took note that this overdraft of peripheral vision might pay off during our action test. But from the bench we found it very difficult to print a five-shot group that measured less than 3.0 inches across. With plenty of sight radius and a trigger free of any real detriments, we would expect 15-yard groups to measure 2.0 inches or less with little trouble. According to factory representatives the PK380 is a blowback-operated pistol with cantilever-style action instead of a fixed barrel. But our PK380 seemed to be slightly ill-timed. With debris from shots occasionally spitting back at our shooter, the gun was either firing slightly out of battery or unlocking prematurely.

To perform our action test we decided to shoot our PK380 in TDA mode only. This meant beginning with hammer down and double-action first shot. We could have fired this test with the hammer back and the pistol on safe, but discovered that we would have to change our grip to deactivate the safety each time we presented the weapon. Usually we would favor single-action-only fire for its speed and efficiency. But having to shift the gun to deactivate the safety and then shift it again to achieve an effective shooting grip was not going to help. Regarding decocking, before each run we had the luxury of being at a shooting range. This meant we could point the gun in a truly safe direction when we decocked the hammer.

Our initial runs from DA/SA were skewed as we had to learn to pick a balance between the two triggers. We found the difference between the double-action and single-action triggers to be pronounced. But once we found our grip or, as we would prefer to describe it, our platform, elapsed times became to shrink. Still, if we failed to concentrate our elapsed times would suffer. Our best runs were completed in an average time of about 2.15 seconds. Other than two stray shots well to the left of the A-zone, accuracy throughout our action tests was very good.

Our Team Said: Aside from the friendly grip profile, we’re not sure how well the mission has been accomplished. We think its single-action only capability was hindered by an awkward safety, and the limited amount of grip surface on the small hammer made us wary of decocking. The sights favored speed over accuracy, which in this application was okay by us. But the takedown procedure reflects afterthought in our view, and, again, and we’re not really sure in what condition this gun was meant to be carried.

Attachments

• 0610-WALTHER-PK380.pdf
    619.1 KB · Views: 5

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
87mk111;1686318 said:
Is it new or used? I picked one up last summer after my 21sit birthday. It's a really comfortable gun to shoot, and its pretty small so it will be good for a cc. My only complaints are that .380acp is more expensive than 9mm or .40 cal and that the amgs are freaking 40 dollars if you want more than one. I know some people on the walther forums complain that the gun isnt made in a walther factory and that they jam. I've put about 300 rounds thru my gun with it only jamming one me once. I hink its a decent gun form the money.

It's Brand new in box, no rounds have been through the gun. If I can get it for 280/300 I'm gonna pick it up

Status
Not open for further replies.