The Official 25$ RX7 Rear Strut Bar Writeup

SoupedUpSupra

The guy.
Mar 31, 2005
Sonoma County, Norcal
I posted this first on SF, but figured this would be a good one to post here as well.

OK well, i bought a front strut bar for a FD3S RX7 (93+ RX7) off of ebay for 25$ shipped. I bought one identical to this. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZD...1QQcmdZViewItem

It got here yesterday, and I immediately took it out to the supra to see if it would fit. At first glance it looked like there was no way that it was going to fit while retaining the rear seat. I went ahead and pulled the rear interior plastic out an took a look. First thing that had to be done was enlarge all 3 of the bolt holes outward slightly. After doing this with a dremel, I fitted the strut bar mounts. The inner hole of the mounts was smaller than the lip of the hole on the body. It was stated that you must use more strut spacers to do this, but as i was feeling lazy and cheap I just tightened down the bolts until the brackets bent down slightly to the point where they were snug. Call me ghetto if you want but it worked. After this, I fitted up the bar. Perfect! it fits! But then I tried to put the rear seats back up and they hit. So i pulled out the rear seat brackets (circled in yellow in the picture below) and enlarged the bolt holes on these just slightly. I then bolted them back in, as far forward as they would go. The rear seat then clicks back into place just barely. The seat basically rests on the bar. I was ten home free almost, but my amp rubbed on one corner when folding the seat up, so i pulled the dremel back out, and grinded off the corner. It is a crappy amp anyways so i don't care. The rear plastic then had to be cut to let the strut bar fit through. It turned out pretty nice in my opinion, definitely good for the 25$ total I spent on it.

STEPS:
Enlarge bolt holes on strut bar mounts
Enlarge bolt holes on rear seat brackets and position seat brackets forward a bit
Cut plastic
Put back together
Enjoy the 100 or so dollars you just saved on a cusco/knockoff

P.S. Yes I know, my car is filthy at the moment.

Attachments

• strutbar.jpg
    strutbar.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 88
  • bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 83