The Notorious 90 Degree hose

lumpy

Mar 20, 2007
Iowa
Hahaha I blew one(front) last year doing a burnout and it kicked my butt. I caught it this time while looking for a boost leak. Now I have a spare and can change it in like 10-15min. :)

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Mine split in two, and stayed on the tube, had to tear almost that whole side of the engine apart to get it off. PITA!!!! I had to take off the ps resivior, cps, and waterneck or thermostat housing (also changed thermostat and broke those damn bolts off)

lumpy

Mar 20, 2007
Iowa
I messed up w/the tstat housing the 1st time, but I changed the hose clamp on the inside to a heavy duty spring clamp. That saves a bunch of time the next round! lol

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
crisp;1552210 said:
p1552344_1.jpg

-crisp

How very surgical an approach to it! Haha

I replaced mine with one from a parts store, it was a Dayco hose, and I could get the number for the interested parties. It helped that I worked there and had the old hose with me to pick through the stock hoses all day.

I would definitely buy some silicone repro's, however...

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
The stock hose isn't exactly 90*, it's more like 110*, which makes it complicated. There is a Samco hose that is 120* that seems like it would work quite well. I will buy one to have on hand in case one of mine fails, or I will replace it next time I drain the coolant. Anything not to do that job more than absolutely necessary as it's a pain, but quite doable.

I agree with Nash, those pliers are awesome and are on my list of tools to buy.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Supracentral;1552266 said:
Although I suggest the Toyota hose if you can find it, in a pinch I'm pretty certain the ACDELCO Part # 14002S hose stocked by Rock Auto can be cut down to fit as well.

Red Foreman : "An Original AC Delco Part For Your Original GM...." Whoops, Wrong Car. :-/

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Umm....well how much is your time and piece of mind worth? Even the OEM Toyota one lists for $17. I don't like redoing jobs, especially the pain in the ass jobs, so to me the price is worth it.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
supraguy@aol;1552547 said:

http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?products_id=13863

$12, seems to be the same 3 ply high temp silicone hose. I e-mailed them about the temp/pressure ratings but they didn't answer yet so I'll be calling in a few mins.

Dirgle is right, that's why I'm going around and sourcing some good silicone hoses for everything once they pop again, because I'm pretty sure they will. Also putting the heat shielding back on ;) I like doing things once on my car and not having to worry about it.

edit: Called them up, they get the part from another company who does 'really really nice silicone bits' but doesn't rate their stuff to any standards. Guy on the phone said he's used it continuously at and above 250 degrees F, but didn't get a name of the company. It'll be something I look into, seeing as how it's pretty cheap.

7EMPIRE

Feb 23, 2010
Raliegh
i jus got one from pepboys they had one that i just had to cut.i hope that doesnt come back to bite me in the ass.lol

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
I got a 90 degree hose from...advance auto parts I believe. I replaced it two years ago, and it blew apart on me about a month ago. Got the same hose because it was a friggen Saturday night haha, only thing I could get my hands on to get my car running. I'll replace it one more time with a silicone one and see if that holds.

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Yeah, purchase new clamps with it like I did. If the oem one lasted 18+ years, would you want to go with a different one that only lasted 2. I would rather pay $17 every 18 years than $8-14 every two years.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Yes! My heart jumped when I saw IJ posted...do you absolutely HAVE to use t-bolt/similar clamps or can you use the stock style constant pressure clamps? I've seen pictures of people using the stock style clamps on upper/lower silicone radiator hoses so I presume it should be OK as long as they are tight enough. I could always go to the store and get a 1/16" or 1/32" smaller clamp if need be.

Did a bit of searching and the general worry is that since silicone is generally slippier than rubber the clamps will slip off. I guess this specific 90 degree hose is an exception, because it would take a LOT of force to push the hose out of the tiny little area it's shoved into (braces itself because of its shape and small size) but what about other longer straighter hoses?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Clamps to stay away from are those that have the rack part of the gear cut right through the band, you need to use ones that are solid on the inside.

13395_300.jpg

BAD

Norma-Clamp-HDWD-300.jpg

GOOD

clamps.jpg

Stock constant tension clamps will work well if sized right.