The 'No more F'n around' build

matt

Jun 13, 2010
Aurora, Ontario
Well, I'll keep it short and sweet as I love making build threads and also following them so I understand all you guys want is photos and parts lists!

Previous build was:
-7mgte
-Freshly rebuilt/upgraded 60-1 ct26
-550cc Precision injectors
-Areomotive AFPR
-AEM 320lph pump
-HKS bov and CX racing front mount
-Lex afm
-Apexi NEO
-3" DDP to a 3" exhaust with high flow cat, no muffler
-HKS MDF

FIRST, THE CARNAGE:
p2022310_1.jpg

p2022310_2.jpg

2 Broken ringlands.
p2022310_3.jpg

Her putting away with #6 completely gone the same night it fucked off. I was going up against my friends 2011 STi with many bolt ons. Best part was we were neck and neck and I was down a cylinder haha. Previously I'd walk him so when I wasn't, I knew something was up. When I stopped, she wouldn't idle and I limped her right home.

(video^)

I was sitting around 375-400whp(comparing to previous dyno results, trust me it's accurate...) And I guess these NPR pistons the previous owner rebuilt with had just took enough, specifically #6.

PARTS:
-Block honed and decked
-Crank polished
-Built head from Nashman with:
---BC 272 cams
---BC springs
---BC Titanium retainers
---3 Angle valve job
---Port & Polish
---combustion chamber reshaping
---All shimmed to perfect spec
-Titan v2 cam gears
-Eagle rods
-Wiseco pistons
-Clevite bearings
-ARP main studs
-ARP head studs
-ARP Flywheel bolts
-HKS 2mm headgasket
-New oil pump(shimming it)
-Arizona performance oilpump crossover pipe
-New seals for EVERYTHING including trans input/output
-All new coolant hoses
-Full length braided clutch hose
-Driftmotion pulley kit
-Mishimoto Aluminum rad

NOTE: Looking for some good quality gauges, hit me with some recommendations that aren't Defi's (ie not $1000 for a bloody set...)

MAPECU2 Will be being installed this winter but the NEO will be used until then. (I won't be putting the power down till spring, getting it professionally tuned in the spring)This build has a deadline of October 10th. Want to get a last cruise in with everyone. Full weekend cruise up north, 1300+ kms.

Most of the arsenal. If you attempt to do this, I suggest one of these carts. They're wonderful. That and being organized and clean.
p2022310_5.jpg

p2022310_6.jpg

p2022310_7.jpg

p2022310_8.jpg

p2022310_9.jpg

p2022310_10.jpg

p2022310_11.jpg

Got ziplock baggies??! I like to make sure I'm fully organized.

p2022310_12.jpg

Cleanup day. Neighbors all looked at me like i had 2 heads. There's only 1 other person in this neighborhood that does things on the same level as this.

p2022310_13.jpg

Prepping for paint. I. Hate. Sloppy. Paintjobs.
p2022310_14.jpg

p2022310_15.jpg

Some new specialty tools.

Just a teaser. Obligatory massive pile of parts photo coming soon.
p2022310_16.jpg

p2022310_17.jpg

Last edited:

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Fresno, California, United States
I don't get it. You have all the perfect mods and you still melted the nprs. Did number 6 injector fail or what? I have the same thing happen to me on my first build but #1 60 psi still made 300 hp and 305 tq on stock everything but ddp. I didn't upgrade my fuel but had to much boost that is why my shit melted.

matt

Jun 13, 2010
Aurora, Ontario
kakanator;2022386 said:
I don't get it. You have all the perfect mods and you still melted the nprs. Did number 6 injector fail or what? I have the same thing happen to me on my first build but #1 60 psi still made 300 hp and 305 tq on stock everything but ddp. I didn't upgrade my fuel but had to much boost that is why my shit melted.

Big difference between melted and cracked ringlands. Cracked ringlands points to detonation which may have happened when I had installed a bad ECU to diagnose with. I didn't notice it went lean in a pull shortly after I installed it until it was too late. 17afr in boost probably did it good. #6 is supposedly more suitable if you don't have egr cooling plate on the back of the head blocked off fully, which ends up causing the combustion chamber for #6 hotter than the rest. Just what i've heard and it makes sense

If you've melted a piston then you've got fuel issues