The new addition to the family. Yep, she's black!

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
CATarga;1750509 said:
Nice clean find, similar in looks to one I restored a about 6 years ago. If you find it a bit noisy, I found stuffing insulation along the sides(what would be thebed in a truck), cut done on teh road noise significantly.

Enginebuilder.com is where a lot of us in the 4x4 hobby buy our engine components.

The metal guides wont stop the t-chain from breaking, they only prevent the chain from eating a whole in the timing cover when it stretches from age.

Thanks. It's SUPER clean inside. Which really made me happy!

Enginebuilder.com is great AND only a few hours from me. I already have a cam coming from them. :)

I pulled the valve cover and inspected the chain. The guides are still intact and there are no railroad marks on the timing cover. It isn't excessively loose so I'm putting off changing it till next spring.

Thanks for your input!

mkiiichip;1750537 said:
Nice find.

I just wanted to point out that the problematic chain guide can be replaced with only removing the valve cover. just dont drop the bolt :)

True.

Now, if you know of a trick that will let me replace the timing chain by removing only the valve cover, I'll buy you lunch. :biglaugh:

CATarga

May 22, 2008
Grass Valley, CA
A buddy of mine has replaced the TC by just removing the valve cover as well, but at times he can be an idiot savant when it comes to mechanics. I have found I spend more time trying to be lazy then simply following the FSM. If you don't have one here is link to a '93 Toyota Truck FSM. It will work for just about 95% of all 22r or e motors, but I think the trouble codes are different from '89-'95.

The founder of enginebuilder is a member on 4x4wire.com, and answers questions/gives input quite often in the Early Toyota Trucks.

If interested, this is what the '86 restored looked like when I was finished.

Also if you are going to camp, fish, tailgate with the Runner, you might be interested in this
Tailgate mod I did.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
CajunKenny;1750559 said:
Now, if you know of a trick that will let me replace the timing chain by removing only the valve cover, I'll buy you lunch. :biglaugh:

Sorry, no magic fairy dust here.

Another thing, some of those motors had plastic spacers on the rocker support bar, that would wear a grove in the rocker. Causing the arm to move sideways off the valve. Toyota has a fix that works well. Shown here in post #6.
http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?topic=16214.msg276500#msg276500

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
And here are my SM Family Members stepping up and offering stellar support. Gold stars for everyone! :D

CATarga: Nice Runner! It does look VERY similar to mine. I love the tailgate mod! Definitely on my "To Do" list.

OH...and how is your roof rack mounted?

Last edited:

CATarga

May 22, 2008
Grass Valley, CA
I mounted to 1"x1" square tube rails to the top of the Runner's shell, and then mounted the rack to the rails using the horseshoe style electrical conduit straps. I made the rack out of the galvanized electrical conduit, so the straps were a direct fit. I have some close up photo's, I will post them up.

If you don't want a permanent mount, there are mounting brackets that you can buy that mount to gutter rails on the cab and cap section, they are commonly known as bronco brackets.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Nice. I would like to get a basket and eventually mount a couple lights on it. If you look closely at the pics, you'll see a mount above the second window. I assume that's there for bars. Maybe one bar mounts on the rain gutters above the doors and the second bar on that second mount...?

The sunroof will have to be considered...

CATarga

May 22, 2008
Grass Valley, CA
Yes the gutter mountrack mounts will attach to the edge there over the second set of windows. The bracket I referred to as a Bronco bracket allows you to add a gutter where you don't have one. With the Runner's cap you would mount the bracket to the area behind the last window. Unfortunately the Bronco brackets are permanently attached to the side, and look a little out of place with the rack off.

If you use the traditional bars, you should still have enough room to open the sunroof. You could also also run a section of tube as a spacer between the rack and the mounting bars if you needed more room for the sunroof.

Here is a shot of the Rails under the rack. I mounted each rail with 3 bolts and used some 3"x4"x1/8" steel plate (crappy pic)on the inside to spread the force of the rack out over a larger area. It isn't the cleanest look, but it wasn't visable in the rear view mirror, or when looking back. You only really noticed it when looking up from the rear area.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I like the look of you did. It's cleaner than having the traditional type bars run across the top and possibly stick out passed the sides of the top. I really dislike the look of 4" of bar sticking out of each side.

That said, I'll like use what's already there. From what you can see on that rear mount, what bars/brackets mount on that and the gutter(s)?

I feel like a newb again... :)

CATarga

May 22, 2008
Grass Valley, CA
A search using "Safari Rack", should give you a list of retailers, and any retailer that sells them for early Ford Bronco's or Landcruisers will have the gutter mount brackets. Most companies that sell the safari racks sell them w/o the mounting hardware, the same for the light, shovel, and antenna brackets. The average size that fits between the two mounts you have would start at about $300, and the mounting hardware is sold seperatley. Light mounts run about $25 each, and brackets to use on the rack are anywhere from $35-50 each. You should be able to use a Thule gutter mount bike rack to attach the safari rack too, you can usually find those for around $100.

You can shorten the bars, so you don't have to have the 4-6 inches of the bar sticking out past the bracket. Most of the cross bars I have seen have rubber caps on the end, so you can cut them to length for a cleaner look. This Rack and mounting brackets I made for a buddy's early Bronco, should give you an idea of what a set of bars cut off would look like.