The Inevitable Down Pipe Question

RogueCustoms

Custom Painter/Fabricator
Apr 7, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
What are you running on your Mark III 7M-GTE???

I have always ran. HKS DP... BUT, I've have broken 2 at their flex joints... Yes, I'm serious!!!

Has this happened to any of you?

So now I'm thinking of going with a BIC DDP. After hearing what my 7m sounds like with a broken flex joint, I thought this would be a good idea. I love the sound of my HKS exhaust set up and I'm afraid to mess with it, given the way it sounds at idle. I watched a video or two on YouTube of this on guy with a BIC DDP and I'm not sure if it just sounded ...itty... or, it was a really bad microphone on his camera. I don't care so much how loud it gets at full boost, as long as its throaty. And as long as it sounds real quiet like a purring kitty and not raspy at idle. I like people to think... (especially the po po's) ... that I have a nothing except a very large coffee can exhaust muffler. He he

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I'd just take your car to an exhaust shop and have them replace the flex section with a straight pipe. the flex section on the stock downpipe is before the the downpipe's mount to the transmission, so it wouldn't make a difference.

But if you still want one, I am very happy with my BIC rerouted DDP.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I am running a Driftmotion 3" DP to a Blitz NuR. I love it and would trade the DP for any other one. Exhaust sounds like a raped ape on steroids. lol.

Last edited:

RogueCustoms

Custom Painter/Fabricator
Apr 7, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
A. Jay;1828329 said:
I'd just take your car to an exhaust shop and have them replace the flex section with a straight pipe. the flex section on the stock downpipe is before the the downpipe's mount to the transmission, so it wouldn't make a difference.

But if you still want one, I am very happy with my BIC rerouted DDP.

Thats illegal here in Oregon........... Or so I've been told.... Why, you ask? Yea, I don't know and couldn't tell you either...

57trimMKIII

Texas Supras' Slowest
Jul 14, 2010
DFW, TX
Quick question for you guys...

I currently have a BIC recirculated downpipe with a cracked flex section.

I'll be replacing it with an "optioned out" recirculated and coated version.

With that said, would you recommend a flex section on the new downpipe?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Flex sections wouldn't break unless they're being actually used... Unless you're running solid motor mounts, keep the flex section.

57trimMKIII

Texas Supras' Slowest
Jul 14, 2010
DFW, TX
Poodles;1828440 said:
Flex sections wouldn't break unless they're being actually used...

Unless you're running solid motor mounts, keep the flex section.

Just to be clear - because I am using solid motor mounts, I don't need a flex section?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
A. Jay;1828329 said:
.... the flex section on the stock downpipe is before the the downpipe's mount to the transmission, so it wouldn't make a difference.... .

True, but that is where Toyota put the flex section too. Food for thought....

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I'd definitely get one. Without a flex section the piping needs to be dead nuts accurate. The flex section gives you more room for workmanship error in addition to allowing movement while driving. Even a great manufacturer or builder will have some error in the piping flanges and such. That flex section helps alleviate some.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
92 Hellraiser;1828474 said:
Just to be clear - because I am using solid motor mounts, I don't need a flex section?

I'd say no, but it's still a good idea. Think of your exhaust as a really long lever on your exhaust studs...

57trimMKIII

Texas Supras' Slowest
Jul 14, 2010
DFW, TX
Poodles;1828509 said:
Think of your exhaust as a really long lever on your exhaust studs...

I understand. I was only concerned because it seems like cracked flex sections are not uncommon on these cars.

If I'm going to drop almost $700 on a new downpipe, I don't want to find another cracked flex section down the road.