The "Hurry Up and Wait" build

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
Charlie,
Thanks for the kind words and taking the time to read the entire build.
It was my pleasure to have boiled down the issues to the gauge cluster film and light dimming rheostat.
Too bad the 89+ one was bad on the dimming terminal, I hope you come across a good one soon to compliment your cherry quality supra, It really is one of the cleanest I've seen in person.

I'm still awaiting my block from the shop, an utter disappointment of their mix-up in priorities. They will not be doing any more custom work with the flood of basic work they're getting flooded with, and so anything I bring them will be the basics:
-crank polishing
-boring/honing
-decking
-press work
and baking/hot tanking

I brought some rods to be resized (that is, re-round them) and something that takes 20 minutes was put off several days.

I have spoken to a number of local builders/shop owners, where 3 machine shop names kept coming up:

S & S Automotive of San Leandro
14127 Washington Avenue, San Leandro, CA 94578-3324
(510) 357-9041 ‎
Reputed as a famed builder of rail and funny car dragsters, family run and fair priced

Blacktrax Performance
1819 Houret Court, Milpitas, CA 95035-6823
(408) 946-2900 ‎
Able to handle custom work on a timely basis, pricing unknown

Rebello Racing
511 Wilbur Ave # A5
Antioch, CA 94509-7563
(925) 754-4871
Specializing in Nissan, and other Jap makes, with lots of nitrous, methanol, turbo, and super-charged experience. Pricey, but all their work is blue-printed (i.e. same specs for all main journals and recorded, for instance).

I've been in a rush with a new job starting in a week, and a boat load of side work to get through before it starts!

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
hey buddy, I been insanely crazy just working.

I just sat down, signed up for cencal again, and I get a call to leave again, DOH! lol such is the life outside the 4 corners of thou monitor ;)

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
I thought of something to post here yesterday and cant remember, how useless...
And yes, the shop is on the same "end of the week" story. They need another set of magic hands or something...

juncboi

Yeah, snooping around.
Jan 31, 2009
Sacramento
thedave925;1697380 said:
I thought of something to post here yesterday and cant remember, how useless...
And yes, the shop is on the same "end of the week" story. They need another set of magic hands or something...

That really sux Dave. I know that if it wasn't for the shop making you wait, your car would be up and running. Hang in there!

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
Thanks Charlie.
Still starting your Supra every now and then?
Its really beautiful. If drivers weren't such punks these days, you be more willing to show her off, no??? ;)

On my end, word today from the shop is that the head and block need to be mated, then its MINE again hehe
I've got a full schedule and a bunch of money to make and details to sort before I can get some seat time finally.
'Tis the way of life these days.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
thedave925;1688640 said:
hey buddy, I been insanely crazy just working.

I just sat down, signed up for cencal again, and I get a call to leave again, DOH! lol such is the life outside the 4 corners of thou monitor ;)

you might have to re register cause we had a hacker recently and we had to delete a bunch of stock now we fixed problem and we havnt had anymore scammers

thedave925;1699289 said:
Thanks Charlie.
Still starting your Supra every now and then?
Its really beautiful. If drivers weren't such punks these days, you be more willing to show her off, no??? ;)

On my end, word today from the shop is that the head and block need to be mated, then its MINE again hehe
I've got a full schedule and a bunch of money to make and details to sort before I can get some seat time finally.
'Tis the way of life these days.

damn finally my motor took a long time at the machine shop...i hated it...lol

so when will it be done?

you need to come out to a meet,we might have another supra dyno day at daft innovations in modesto,ca again

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
dubsupra209;1705462 said:
is this is the dave that built your motor?

I helped, he did most of it himself.

I do have my motor back.
I'm still finagling with the cams, my ignition timing is off.
So far its been retarded and a dog or too advanced and surging when in gear and below 1700.

Cold idle oil pressure is 40, i see 60 anytime about 2k.
warm idle pressure is 20.
This is on 30wt.
Shimmed pump, 5mm spacer.
Full flow oil system, -10 fitting and hose, ARZ oil crosspipe.

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
dubsupra209;1708800 said:
so you where the 1 with out a supra at santa rosa meet?

Yea. I invited him but his car wasn't ready. It's ready now!! Sounds sexy too. But yes, this is "The Dave" that made all my supra goals happen. Great guy. Knows his shit too! And he's got one hell of a supra

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
The supra runs pretty well right now.
No leaks, beyond the powersteering rack, which is very very minimal.
I've got my cams dialed well, vacuum approaching 15 mmHg at 800 idle.

2 issues.
1) Compression on the tester isn't fantastic. With the cams at 0 ad/ret, i was seeing 140 across, on a reused Stopper MHG, with excellent viton coverage still.
I promised the shop i wouldn't pull everything apart again; I suspect the locating pins on the block deck were installed upside down again and the head is hung up on them.

2) Random rough moments idling or at steady speed under load. Sometimes the engine dies with no warning, and is difficult to start for about 2 minutes. Then all is normal. Like that heat saturation issue, that seems to happen after pumping gas, but on the street lol
Possibly a manifold to head leak, its the only thing i unbolted for another pass through the shop.
Or a vacuum leak.

Only code is 22.
I have a coolant sensor wire busted, the round blue sensor I think related to the ISC and CSI operation.

Timing is pretty good, base is set about 14*.
I am using Suprastroker88's CPS thinking his random engine stops were CPS related.

I haven't run the car in 2 years, and for the 2 years before that I was maft pro and never had sudden engine stop issues.

But the compression thing bothers me, she don't boost hard as she did.
With the new cam timings I set to get 15mmHg of vacuum, I need to redo a comp test before wasting more time hunting for ghosts

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
1 month update session lol

My compression and rough running was due entirely to ignition grounds not connecting.
I did have half of one coil die, so I got another set of used coils for the time being.
The solution was to bond the coil pack plate with the ignitor internal ground, TCCS location on the lower intake mani, and the Rf signal inhibitor thingy on the ignitor mount all together.

I still have code 22.
The blue round water sensor is the cold start timer, so I need to take the time to read up on which is the correct sensor to change so the TCCS sees the right value.

My lobe seperation got reduced to include more overlap until I get a good feel for the stock system.
As it sits, Exh +2.5* and Int -3.0*.
Base timing is a strong 12* BTDC.

Bonding all those grounds and reseting the timing has yielded wonderful results.

The pretension on the wastegate was intentionally set low so as to reduce base boost.
Now that timing is set, I can add more preload and play right up to boost cut.

My to do list is shrinking.
- Re-cinche the oil pump pulley, its loose enough to misalign the timing belt to rubbing.
- Exterminate code 22!
- Smog
- Evacuate A/C system, its the last tool for the job I don't have
- Replace the steering rack boots, its the only leak left.
- Continue with aftermarket gauge setup
- Setup Maft Pro
- Aquire larger injectors.

At this point SupraStroker88's setup is still quite the mover and were I to run him, I'm sure I'd not catch him until about 100 where my bigger turbine housing is the advantage.
Neither of us has fooled with the boost settings but his car is REALLY responsive and breaths easily to redline, making it really fun to drive.
That smaller turbo makes it hard to civilly leave a stop sign.

He can use some 550's, his car's ready with a Lex Afm and the right piggy backs.
I'm very happy to be apart of his project and know that it speeds him to his destinations safely everytime.
His car is a testimonial that if you take care of issues before they take care of you, your supra will get you home.

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
thedave925;1725728 said:
At this point SupraStroker88's setup is still quite the mover and were I to run him, I'm sure I'd not catch him until about 100 where my bigger turbine housing is the advantage.
Neither of us has fooled with the boost settings but his car is REALLY responsive and breaths easily to redline, making it really fun to drive.
That smaller turbo makes it hard to civilly leave a stop sign.

He can use some 550's, his car's ready with a Lex Afm and the right piggy backs.
I'm very happy to be apart of his project and know that it speeds him to his destinations safely everytime.
His car is a testimonial that if you take care of issues before they take care of you, your supra will get you home.

Without your help, I wouldn't have this motor at all. So even though I built it mostly on my own, I received most of my knowledge from you. My car is fun, but your car is a true beast. I cant wait to see that car open up when its all complete and broken in. You're going to raise hell in that thing! I'd definitely like to line up with you at the track just to see how our cars match up. Keep up the great work Dave. You have a hell of a car and it gives me a ton of inspiration every time I read your thread or hear you start it up.

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
Thanks for that Jay^^^

For awhile there I was having ignition issues. Turned out that the wiring for the Aftermarket gauges were feeding positive into ground.

I have been DDing my ride 140 plus miles/day for work this last week.

The dash harness I switched in, needs to be repinned so that the compressor does its job so that I receive the fruits of my labor on the A/C system.

I just saw a BC cam advance post by Devin LeBlanc who stated accurately that adjustable cam gear settings will never be the same engine to engine.

I'm still tweaking my exhaust cam some.
My t70 wakes up at 3k, starts to spool good at 4.5k, and then really turns godzilla at 5.5k.... thinking the exhaust cam needs to be played with to up the exhaust velocity to bring that alive point down some.

I average 22mpg, with four 6% grades to work and back.

I'm kinda thinking this turbo is too big to daily since I got 3.73 and i see 3psi at 2k rpm, kinda torqueless up hills but plenty on flat ground.

I recently became a welder helper for my local union, get up at 3am and arrive at home at 7-8 if its a 7-5 work day. 7 days/wk.
We're due to put in some long hours soon, and I'll be staying out of town, so i dunno the next time i'll update.

julius, your due a ride, though I still think you'd pull on me to 90 ;)
I hit boost cut in 3rd right now, since this turbo loads harder in the taller gears.

-Dave