The Great Tool Debate

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
Cornwell ftw!!! lol I was really looking into going into the tool franchise business, considered cornwell, snap-on, matco, and mac. IMO, from all the research I have done, cornwell snap-on and mac are pretty much identical in how they are manufactured, snap-on and mac are pretty close in prices, cornwell is cheaper MOST of the time. It does suck though that cornwell doesn't have a lot of dealers. Matco is craftsman but better looking, open up a $90 matco ratchet and its identical to craftsman, theyre wrenches (from my experience) wear out fast too, both craftsman and matco are owned by the Danaher tool group. Mac is owned by stanley tools but is top quality. IMO Cornwell tools is the best bang for the buck for QUALITY american made tools.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I never like hearing people talk about a particular brand being the best because a tool they bought 10 years ago is still working. They don't make things like they used to anymore, typically something like a tool that was built 10 years ago will be better quality than something recently built. That same brand may have switched all manufacturing to china to save costs and now have cheap tools despite having a superior product 10 years ago.

I buy craftsman for hand tools, they have really good sales, are close to me, I have had no issues with warranties(sockets, screw drivers etc) plus I just like having 1 brand in my collection. Having just one brand for me seems like a wise choice, if something breaks I don't have to track down a receipt, remember which store I got which socket from etc. If I am buying something powered I look at the warranty closer, craftsman warranty on non-hand tools is not the best. With air tools I am sticking to Ingersoll Rand, I did buy 2 sets of craftsman impact sockets and they are just sub-par to the IR stuff. Having to warranty out the IR tools is not as easy though as walking into a sears.

I have had stanley screwdrivers and they sucked, warranty on them was a joke. I would have had to mail them out to stanley then wait for them to inspect and decide if the screw drivers broke under normal use. If not I would have to pay for replacements or pay for return shipping. With sears, walk into the store and walk out with a replacement. I had a cracked socket and went to sears, they only had the more expensive laser etched version of the socket in stock, they gave me that instead with no problems.

I will never buy anything from harbor freight.

Oh I forgot, I recently picked up a Milwaukee corded magnum drill for cheap. It was new old stock made in america, I got it for cheap and that thing is a beast.

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
Craftsmans lazer etched sockets are ok, untill it wears/fades off lol, and the chrome is a joke, it sucks that they are so poor on quality now. I bought a set of craftsman wrenches recently and had to grind down the 7/8 wrench on the open side just to fit nuts/bolts.

Last edited:

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I've never had craftsman sockets that seemed to not fit. I've had 1 socket that had its chrome peel off of it which sucked, they exchanged it no problem though. My main set is a good 6 years old though, maybe it's gone down hill recently.

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
Its the open end wrench that I had that problem with. I still think that for home use, you cant beat the price and availability of craftsman. But at work where tools get the crap beaten out of them on a daily basis, I need to have a "broken craftsman too drawer." Mostly its their sockets the break. Btw, when a tool is manufactured, the chrome process is the most expensive part of making the tool, and craftsman chrome is cheaply made, thats why one reason why craftsman can sell for so cheap.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Sometimes it think your out in your own little world.
I mean seriously, who has old ass german tools?
I thought we were comparing pricey american made tools to Chinese paperweights.

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
What sucks is when your local snapon, cornwell, and sk guy all go out of buiness in a few month time period. Sears stores rarly shut down lol. That being said craftsman is plain old junk compaired to the tool truck brands. I have broken 5 craftsman ratchets at home and only one snap on at the shop in the last year. Yes its faster to drive down to sears then wait for the rep but it gets old.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk