The Great Tool Debate

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
If you don't mind spending a bit my old boss bought Stahlwille spanners because of there high quality. I used them and they feel great, although a good locked box may be in order.
http://www.stahlwille-online.de/ind...821620&lid=2&mid=2&shid=&scmd=rlist&pcid=1678
I have mostly Sidchrome and Stanley cause i don't use them enough to warrant the more expensive gear.
My favorite tool is my genius ratchet with swiveling head, it's great for hard to reach bolts or nuts.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
A-to-the-J;1691591 said:
Snap-On > Craftsman

Yeah, if you want to pay much much more and if you don't work in a shop have fun hunting down a snap-on truck for warranty issues (ALL tools break)

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
I remember coming across a seized crank, and the crank pulley bolt didn't want to come off. We used a craftsman breaker bar and it shattered at the breaking point. The Snap-On one broke as well, but only split into 2 pieces. The Snap-On socket that we were using, survived.

I guess it's just preference, I've come to know the quality of Snap-On and prefer it over anything. I have more Craftsman than Snap-On tools though. Gotta save that pretty penny for the Snap-On.

Mr.Forks

AnotherFoolJoe
Jun 8, 2009
nyc
www.hoonperformance.com
I recently picked up a Husky brand tool set from home depot as a keep in the car set, seems to be of good quality. matter of fact it seems to be exactly the same as the Stanley tool set. Time will tell if it is worth it. For me finding the vendors is a pain in the ass, for my snap on tools I usually give my money to my friend and when the snap on or mac tool truck stops buy his shot he orders it for me. As with anything, using a middle man adds time. Nothing like waiting an extra week to get that impact socket you really need.

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
Had a set of husky tools my dad got for me from a foreclosed home. They have a pain in the ass lifetime warranty, in that if you want to bring it back to home depot when you have a problem have fun. My next tool set will be craftsman because of the quality of tools, lifetime warranty, and ease of getting a replacement in the event I have an issue with one.

jstricker

Sep 10, 2010
Kansas
Poodles;1691641 said:
Yeah, if you want to pay much much more and if you don't work in a shop have fun hunting down a snap-on truck for warranty issues (ALL tools break)

Why is it a problem finding a Snap-On truck? Just go to almost any repair shop close to you, walk in, ask them what day of the week and what time the Snap-On guy is there, and meet him. You can also get his number and call him. If you know a tech that works at a shop leave the broken tool with them to get exchanged for you. All kinds of options. :)

All that said, I prefer other brands for some things. Snap On ratchets work the best for me. I also like their torque wrenches. The best grade of Craftsman screwdriver is, to me, as good as a Snap On. I prefer Craftsman wrenches 90% of the time because I use mine all day, every day, and the Snap On's are so thin they make my hands sore where the Craftsman are thicker. Snap On sockets seem to have a lot fewer failures for me than Craftsman, especially the swivels.

The thing about Snap On that I like is they are ALWAYS coming out with new and useful tools. The now have a line of impact extensions, made to fit on 3/8" swivel sockets that have a 1/2" drive female on the other end to use your impact with. These are invaluable for things like bellhousing bolts and exhaust manifold nuts. Snap On diagnostic equipment is the best out there and I've had most of it. OTC makes good stuff too and I have a lot of their tools for heavy truck use.

You just have to buy the tools that will do the job reliably and not get you hurt.

John Stricker
Russell, KS

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Harbor Freight for the win.

I have a Snap On Torque wrench. Blue point OHC valve tool to install valve keepers. Everything else is Craftsman and Harbor Freight and it works fine.

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
I have a mix of Craftsman, Channelock, and a bunch of Harbor Freight stuff. I have to say that I think Harbor Freight has stepped up their game lately. Their Pittsburgh brand tools seem to be of good quality and have taken everything I have thrown at them so far. Keep your receipt, and they also have a lifetime warranty. I do use a Snap-On torque wrench though.

jstricker

Sep 10, 2010
Kansas
Poodles;1695908 said:
Yes, and when I break a tool, I'm generally needing it RIGHT NOW...

Poodles,

I'm with you now. I wasn't considering trying to find a truck at a moment's notice, I just grab one of the spares and get by until Snappy shows up next week. Even shops and techs at shops have the same problem, though. Snappy comes when Snappy comes and good luck finding him/her in-between those times. In that respect Craftsman, Kobalt, and the others, have Snap On beat all to hell.

John Stricker
Russell, KS

TomFraser

jstricker;1695990 said:
Poodles,

I'm with you now. I wasn't considering trying to find a truck at a moment's notice, I just grab one of the spares and get by until Snappy shows up next week. Even shops and techs at shops have the same problem, though. Snappy comes when Snappy comes and good luck finding him/her in-between those times. In that respect Craftsman, Kobalt, and the others, have Snap On beat all to hell.

John Stricker
Russell, KS

It's a hit and miss with the snapon rep too... I have one ten minutes from my house that I can call whenever and he will repair/replace right out of his house.

I only use snapon for ratchets though, so the truck is guaranteed to have some in stock.

When it comes to sockets, I saw a kobalt 14mm being used to tighten a head down get left in the head, and the head being compression tested causing the cams to turn and almost crush it, but all it had was a dent, no shatter, no total impaction. (gotta love voc tech schools)

89Turbo7M

BLUEBULLET
Jan 12, 2008
area 51
i have a mix of craftsman, gearwrench, husky, cobalt, harbor freight, mayhew catspaw, task force, one snap-on hex socket everything i bought is brand new. had a cresent set very good tools now they are my dads.

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
I have some Sk, some Snap-On, even a nice set of Blackhawk ratcheting wrenches, but the majority of my sockets, ratchets, and wrenches are Craftsman. I've got a Sears close by and their warranty is hard to beat. I love Snap-On tools, but it takes forever to get stuff replaced. Hell, it took a month for the Snap-On truck to come by my friend's shop to fix my ratchet and replace a cracked socket. When it comes to tools, I'd rather have adequate quality and readily available than stellar quality and nearly unavailable.

That being said, would anyone know how I could get a Blackhawk ratcheting wrench repaired? I heard a rumor a while back that they closed shop, but I'm not sure.

jstricker

Sep 10, 2010
Kansas
Setheroo;1700805 said:
Cornwell tools! They have lasted through my extended use and have served me well.

I also use Craftsmen of course for being on the cheap, and Snap On for specialty tools.

Cornwell is probably the best tool maker that nobody has ever heard of. They make great stuff and it's all made by them here in the US. I wish they had decent distribution out my way and I'd use them.

John Stricker
Russell, KS