The FIRST documented 4l80e 2jz-Mk3 Supra build. "56k beware"

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yeah, maybe you didn't spen $8,000... but you DID spend more than $50.
And I'm not saying don't keep the stick, just keep in the car as a "BCB" stick ('Bro- be cool!')
You can always pretend to prop the hood with it if it's a tradition, but if I had that kind of time, effort, money, love, and perfection in my car,
I would want everything to work.

raysupra

7m Love
Jan 18, 2010
Mustang, OK
Grew up in Tulsa and I still haven't met many Supra guys around. very clean. Tell us how you like your 4l80e, I'm also in a huge debate for a gm trans with/without an overdrive due to cost and weight..

CaptainT7m

Sep 7, 2008
Tulsa ok
Well ray, the 4l80e experience has been quite an adventure. The transmission shifts similarly to a GTR thanks to the custom valvebody built by my GENIUS trans guy Kenneth, that I mentioned in my thread. We're talking near instant shifts!! The car is far quicker at speeds under 120 builds boost quicker. Over that speed, nothing has changed much except I don't lose boost between shifts. For a 7m car, the installation wont be as hard as it was with this 2j due to increased clearance in the hot spots I mentioned!!

CaptainT7m

Sep 7, 2008
Tulsa ok
Here's a little video for those who were wanting a little glimpse of what it shifts like! [video=youtube;wk6M2mLE4hY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk6M2mLE4hY[/video]

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Sorry if this is a revival. I'm looking at the possibility of going with a 4l80e. Seems as if it'll be similar pricing to an r154. I'm doing a slightly drag/daily setup and would much prefer auto over manual, but a340e has issues, awful aftermarket support no affordable controllers and I'd have to worry about breaking it all day. r154 unless I wanna buy a whole car is 900$+, 350$ bellhousing, $650 clutch kit and I'd be set to handle quite ab it of power. 4l80e can be picked up for around 300$, shift kit 100$, Fancy Shifter 300$, adapted drive shaft 300$?, Controller 200$ for jakes full auto or 500 for TCI full controller, ATFSpeed adapter / flywheel 1050$. Maybe a couple extra hundred to replace any ewell worn friction or seals. Am I missing something? Anyone else offer an adapter and flywheel setup so I can just use the GM torque converter? Feel like that would be around the same price as getting a custom half toyota half gm converter especially if I want lock up. But with a similar price I get a very popular platform, better drag setup, easier daily setup, dont' have to replace a performance clutch every other year.

Are there possibly cheaper ways of going about it for the adapter setup?