The Exhaust Note.

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Well, for some reason in my infinite boredom a few minutes ago, I pondered the question: What all goes into making the sound we hear from the exhaust pipes of our cars?

Now I know there are a few obvious answers, things like mufflers and cats and such play a big part, but I was wondering about some of the more subtle differences.

It seems to me that most of the time engines of a similar number of cylinders seem to makes similar sounds. Like 4 cyl engines seem to have a similar sound most of the time, and v8's seem to have a trademark sound as well.

And that brings me to my next question. What makes engines of similar types sound so different some times? I mean, anyone who has heard a Ferrari F430 knows that it doesn't sound anything like a Mustang, or an SC430 (has the same displacement even.)

I've even heard a 1UZ with straight pipes and still sounds nothing like a Ferrari V8.

Now I know this sounds probably very boring to most people, but I was bored as well and figured I should ask.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
rtrdpenguin;1277402 said:
Firing order and crankshaft plane makes a big difference. Ferraris have flat plane v-8s, which sound different than American er.... "cross-plane" v-8s. Think plus sign vs. minus sign...

Hmm...thats interesting, I looked for a few pictures and I think I see what you are talking about in cross plane vs flat plane.

This is flat plane right?
v8b.jpg

and this is cross plane?
v8a.jpg

I suppose that makes sense since it would change the "pattern" of the exhaust note wouldn't it.