The correct oil-cath tank set up!?

TBS

Feb 3, 2011
Oslo
I'm currently getting my 7m-gte built with JE-pistons crower rods and what not.
But I'm kinda confused about the catch tank setup.
I have seen and read about many different kind of setup's, so i wonder what would be the right setup for DURABILITY!
And I should add that I'm going for about 400-450whp at the most, and about 350whp for a daily drive.

A couple of different setups I've seen:

1. Originaly it is a line going from the turbo intake, to the valve covers, and ending to the intake manifold.(no catchtank of course)
2. A line from both valve-covers to a catch tank with only a breather filter.
3. As number 2, but with a return line from the bottom of the catch tank to the oil pan.
4. A line from both valve covers to the catch tank with no breather filter, but with a line to the turbo intake.
5. As number 4, but WITH a breather filter
6. A line from both valve covers to the catch tank with no breather filter, but with a line to the exhaust??

I would appreciate answers from someone with the knowlegde and an technical explaination on the subject, and from people who have run a setup for a long time successfully.

Thanks in advance.
Tim

spooln30

Sep 28, 2006
milwaukee,WI
Have each of the valve cover vents going to a catch can then from the catch can run a line to the org spot off the throttle body. Done it before and works great.

TBS

Feb 3, 2011
Oslo
Okey, Im going to run a FFIM. is ok to run a line from each valvecover to the catch can and from the catch can to the turbo intake? what about the drain in the catch can, is it smart to run a line from the bottom of tha can to the oilpan? what happens when the can is full and it is no drain??

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
TBS;1776511 said:
Okey, Im going to run a FFIM. is ok to run a line from each valvecover to the catch can and from the catch can to the turbo intake? what about the drain in the catch can, is it smart to run a line from the bottom of tha can to the oilpan? what happens when the can is full and it is no drain??

You don't need a line to drain it. That would be just like venting it to the atmosphere. A 1/8NPT bung with a block off is good enough. You should not have a full catch can. You can drain it every couple oil changes.

Our cans can have a see through portion to show it's level if the customer wants it that way....sure beats taking off a hose and looking inside...

TBS

Feb 3, 2011
Oslo
Okey, thanks.
I've looked at some pictures of your work and it is awesome!
You got PM btw.

IBoughtASupra;1776525 said:
You don't need a line to drain it. That would be just like venting it to the atmosphere. A 1/8NPT bung with a block off is good enough. You should not have a full catch can. You can drain it every couple oil changes.

Our cans can have a see through portion to show it's level if the customer wants it that way....sure beats taking off a hose and looking inside...