The bugs are coming...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I live in the Hudson Valley. Supposedly, we get hit the hardest. I was 12yrs old last time they came out, I was astonished back then, and I'm sure I will be again. It reallyw as a lot of fun when I was a kid. I've been trying to explain just how many there are to my younger cousin, who is 12yrs old. He can't seem to grasp it, but he'll find out soon enough!

The article mentioned it, but local news agencies are guessing that my town (lots and lots of woods/nature preserve) will get more than 1.2 million/acre. I can't wait, although I'm not looking forward to keeping my cars clean!

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Yeah, if you live in or travel wooded areas they can be insane. My first time was back in the day patrolling the hinterlands (bombing range) of an east coast military base. I thought I was prepared but not even close and driving an open jeep made the experience all the more interesting.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
jetjock;1938205 said:
Yeah, if you live in or travel wooded areas they can be insane. My first time was back in the day patrolling the hinterlands (bombing range) of an east coast military base. I thought I was prepared but not even close and driving an open jeep made the experience all the more interesting.

Yikes, I can't imagine travelling anywhere around here with an open Jeep during that. It's amazing, for such large stupid bugs, they get into EVERYTHING. It sounded like people continually throwing small stones at the windows of my parents house last time they were out here.

Gmelo30

Aug 7, 2012
Wappingers Falls, NY
shaeff;1938158 said:
I live in the Hudson Valley. Supposedly, we get hit the hardest. I was 12yrs old last time they came out, I was astonished back then, and I'm sure I will be again. It reallyw as a lot of fun when I was a kid. I've been trying to explain just how many there are to my younger cousin, who is 12yrs old. He can't seem to grasp it, but he'll find out soon enough!
Me too and I can wait for them to come. Last time they were around I was 5 and I really don't remember them at all. Also, looks like I will not be driving around with the targa off as much as I would like too this summer.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It's a little reminder that nature is rarely boring although we tend to get comfortable and forget about the potential. Imagine if there was an event like this that happens every 10,000 years (like the shifting of the continental plates). No record of it = no warning. If it was a large amount of predatory insects... That would be a bad scenario... Lol. Of course there have been movies and books playing with that type of a scenario.

This is a cool reminder of how small and insignificant we can be when facing a "natural" occurrence. Tempted to fly to the coast to witness the event.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Doesn't have to be the coast. I was in high school in Kansas City in 96. I'll never forget it. Quite the experience being dive bombed by them falling off of trees while walking home from school every day for a few weeks.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Ran into one of these swarms years ago on the washington coast highway in the Supra. It was insane... the road was completely covered, and crushed bugs don't provide great traction. When I got home, there was crushed bug an inch deep on my front bumper.

And the wheel wells... I don't even.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
I remember shooting something like this with BB guns in Pasedena Tx in maybe 84? Also took some and tied string aroun the eye stalks and made then fly in circles.... Till they torn the eyes off.. What a little asshole I was. The shells would stick to the tree bark and were Creepy to a kid.

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
Yeah I remember the swarm from miss 80's. We used to shoot em with BBC guns too. After we got bored with that, we would shove firecrackers in their voiceboxes, lightem up, and toss. They would fly a few yards, explode, and crash looking like bombers from ww2 footage. Then we got the bright idea of dipping their asses in gas, light, and toss. Its a wonder we didn't burn Odessa to the ground, or fuck ourselves up.

Next time they ran it was my first year of driving....I thought we were a few years away from the next run.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2