The best group of car guys ever...

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Ha, I understand about the bag thing. The cell phone out the window on the highway gets old. Besides, I'm wanted in 11 states.

The 3 speed autos aren't quiet or good on fuel, yet another reason to sell. I agree it handles well but I'd expect no less from Lotus. I dunno. It's a strange beast. Every time I work on it I don't know whether to shake my head in disgust or nod in admiration, something that especially applies to the Bosch CIS. It's both brilliant and stupid at the same time. Typical German engineering. Between that and the Prince of Darkness (Lucas) electrics more than a few have burned to the ground. Why I carry four pounds of Halon 1301 in mine at all times.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
Hahaha! That is so true! It does handle well, until you push it to the limit. DO NOT let off the gas mid turn! I did that...once. I ended up facing the opposite direction before I could even comprehend what was going on. I have to agree with you though, I have to respect something with the way it was built. The fact that it was built by mostly illiterate Irish people means that they had to make it reasonably easy to build. What I liked was unlike new cars where there are special (read: expensive) proprietary tools to work on them, the Delorean was very simple. Most of it could be worked on with basic hand tools. I remember going to DMC Northwest in Bellevue where they were adjusting the preload on the doors. They used a jig made of 2x4's and a long extension hooked to a breaker bar to set the torsion bar for the doors.

As far as the development of the car goes, it sounds like the makings of a really terrible comedy. A 1970's Italian design on top of a British frame and suspension, powered by a French transmission and engine, run on Lucas electrics, funded by the government, run by an American, and built by some unemployed Irish potato farmers. What could possibly go wrong? Hell, the Bosch K-jetronic fuel injection system was probably the most reliable part of the car! It is a weird system I must admit. It is almost too simple, which must be why it was used on damn near everything in the late 70's to early 80's. Hell, the guy who was driving in front of me in the video owns a 1985 Ferrari 308 and it runs the same fuel injection system. The turbo setup on that Delorean was weird as hell though. I think it is made by a company called Rajay? It had no blow off valve because the throttle was in front of the turbo inlet. There were no upgrades to the fuel system, except for an HKS AIC. The ignition was controlled by some other HKS ignition box. It really wasn't fast though. I think it developed a whopping 4 pounds of boost. He may have been able to up it to 5 now though.

You're wanted in 11 states!?! Why is that. Wait, don't answer that.