The best group of car guys ever...

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
Hey everyone. I haven't been an active member on here since the end of last year when I got my 87 turbo for free. Since then my experience with the Supra Community has been nothing short of amazing. Since I started driving 13 years ago, I have owned lots of different vehicles. I'll see if I can recall them in order:
1974 Tangerine Orange VW Super Beetle (I learned how to drive a manual with that car. We bought it at a park-n-sell, my Dad got in his truck and told me to learn how to drive a manual as he left to drive home)
1967 Puke Green Beetle with a 2112cc motor I built (hauled ass till an engine fire caused by the sparks from the generator brushes igniting the fuel vapor my carbs coughed up)
1978 Blue Chevy C10 pickup (beautiful truck. 383 CI motor with 425 hp)
1962 Red Triumph Spitfire
1964 Red Triumph Spitfire (swapped the 1.3 liter 4 banger for a 2 liter inline six and designed my own fuel injection system using Megasquirt and motorcycle throttle bodies)
1986.5 Black Toyota Supra (had 215,000 miles and smoked a bit, but the body was clean and it had a 5-speed. Plus, it was only $1,000)
1998 Subaru 2.5RS with 2005 STI drivetrain swap (I traded the Supra straight across for it since the guy couldn't figure out why it was running. Turned out he cracked the porcelain on one of the plugs while installing them. To shut my conscience up, I asked if he wanted to trade back, but he said a deal is a deal. Engine blew up a couple months later. Really missed the Supra then!)
1969 Dark Red Mustang GT (got this for $6,500 because the guy, who was an electrician, couldn't figure out why none of the alternators worked. He forgot to wire in the battery light for the dash. Sold that car a couple months later to a guy in France for $13,000)
1981 DeLorean (Yeah, my favorite childhood movie was Back to the Future. It was a nice car and perfectly maintained, but I got tired of the cocaine jokes and the flux capacitor jokes wore thin after only a year. I sold it for the same price I bought it for, so that wasn't too bad. It just was a case of don't meet your heroes.)
2000 Toyota 4runner (still have it. Wife's SUV.)
1995 Honda Civic (My wife's car. This car is very rare. It is a 90's Honda Civic that has VTEC and it is completely stock! It also has over 230,000 miles and we predict will go another 100k. The deal is my wife gets an M3 once the Honda kicks the bucket. Not likely anytime soon.)
2005 Toyota Tundra (4x4, extended cab, slight lift with all-terrain tires. Everyone needs a truck!)
Finally, the 1987 Toyota Supra!
Anyway, to get back on subject, I have been a member of the forums for most of the vehicles listed above. The VW guys were pretty fun, but what girl wants to go out with a guy driving a crappy old Beetle? I was waaaaay too young and didn't wear enough tweed to really get along with the Triumph guys, plus being eye level with the lugnuts on Semi's is a very sobering feeling. Quite a few of the old American muscle guys were pretentious, so my truck didn't fit in well there since it wasn't a Camaro. The Subaru guys and Evo guys would always get into it, mustang owners seem to be the new "Rice" (granted, those are mainly 95 and up mustang owners, but still...). DeLorean owners seemed to be a bit too weird, and parts were ridiculous. I think they make up things for the car. There seriously was a module in the relay compartment called "Pektron Inverter."

What really did it for me was this past 4th of July weekend. I scrambled like hell to get my car in somewhat of a driveable state to make the journey from Whidbey Island to Boise and back for the cancelled PACNW Supra Nationals. Anyway, even though that was cancelled, I still wanted to do something, so a few of us Supra owners met up along the drive to Boise. My wife was hesitant to spend a weekend doing what she referred to as "a bunch of weirdo's standing in parking lots staring at each other's cars." Thankfully, you guys proved her wrong. That weekend was the most fun we have had in quite a while. It's really nice to be able to hang out with some really good people who are refreshingly "normal" for once! I think for once I can finally settle down on a car and have a good time with some good people. So, to the 4 guys who hung out with us and had a good time, I guess I just want to say thank you for being nice and fun to hang out with. I don't know most of your screen names, but Kevin (K-Shan), Derek (suprasick), Bryon, Alex, and Giovanni, thanks especially to you guys. I'm going to try and plan some drives and such later this Summer. Here is a picture that kinda sums it up for me. Yes, I know I need to lower my car!
943306_501469586593715_1973968657_n.jpg

And one that kinda sums up being a MK3 owner. Yeah, Derek and I had cooling issues... :biglaugh:
1001867_10152959776420321_2073160704_n.jpg

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
I've been in the supra scene for almost 10 years and there are definitely some weird dudes out there, but your right those are a great group of people. My wife and I had a great time aswell. She was ready for the whole "a bunch of weirdo's standing in parking lots staring at each other's cars." Yeah I am down for another cruise soon, my cooling system should be up to it now!

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Sweet! I just scored a clutch fan at a pick-n-pull yard in Edmonds, so that should be nice. Now all I need is a fan shroud. I'm trying to figure out a good time to go on a group drive again. Late August or early September. I'm going to nail down a weekend today though once I look at my calendar.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Pyro15D;1952570 said:
1998 Subaru 2.5RS with 2005 STI drivetrain swap (I traded the Supra straight across for it since the guy couldn't figure out why it was running. Turned out he cracked the porcelain on one of the plugs while installing them. To shut my conscience up, I asked if he wanted to trade back, but he said a deal is a deal. Engine blew up a couple months later. Really missed the Supra then!)

Come on Dane, you know that's not what happened.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Jetjock, the one I was always asked was "what happens when you hit 88?" You get a speeding ticket. They never really liked that answer. Dirgle, hand on my heart that is what happened. That dude was so fed up with all the problems that the car had that he asked if we could trade cars. Granted, he was doped up on oxycodone since he just had his wisdom teeth removed. Maybe he just took it as a sign when I got the engine running by just changing the plugs. Ask suprasick. I get a lot of stuff for free or dirt cheap. Who knows why? All I know is I'm not complaining! The funny thing was, I got that old supra back years later for free. The guy who owned it then wanted to scrap it and I told him I would take it. He even paid for the tow dolly to take it to my house. I used a lot of those parts to build up this supra now. I traded the engine straight across for an unused aem v1 which is what I am running now. Funny thing about that is the dude is retiring out of the navy and can't take the engine with him, so he's giving it back to me for free. Maybe it's karma. I smile a lot, try to live a good life and be helpful, shut my headlights off in the truck when I'm in a drive thru and I always tip well. I'm not a hippy or anything (look at my avatar), I was just taught to be nice and pay it forward.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I was there when he was debating whether to get rid of the subie, and while your story isn't to far off, there are a few things that are not as I remember them. He was tired of the car, and very ready to move on with Evo's. The fuel pump in that subie was shot and in dire need of replacement, thats why he put the boost back to wastegate. The engine was running, but in need of a new fuel pump and a good tune when he traded you. Maybe my memory is a bit off, but he's in the next room playing Forza, I'll ask him when he gets done.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
I remember telling him around a month or so that I thought he had a bad plug. He said he had just changed them. The stock fuel pump delivered enough fuel for it to idle, and the fact that it wasn't idling well and the engine jumping all over the place made me think it was a crap fuel injector or plug. I wasn't the one who suggested to trade straight across. It was him. He called me up on my lunch break and told me to come over. He was all doped up from the painkillers and that was when he suggested we trade. I told him to sober up and if he still felt that way, to call me after work. He did and that was when we decided to do it. I liked my old crappy supra but I'd never had anything turbocharged before. We both went to my place, me hobbling the subaru and him in my supra. I pulled the plug nearest the battery and found that the porcelain was cracked. I had an old plug laying around that was the same size so I swapped that one in and it fired right up. We went for a spin and as we pulled back in my garage I asked him if he was sure he wanted to go through with it. He said yes and that it has been nothing but problems for him. Maybe I would have better luck. I can't remember the exact quote, but it went something like that. Of course, a bit later the subaru blew up and yet the supra still ran...until he parked it because the passenger rear brake cylinder started leaking. From there on out it got parted out. When I finally got it, it wasn't much of a car anymore. That is what happened as far as I know. He might be able to chime in a bit more as far as the backstory goes.

Pi, I guess the people who own them aren't so 'out there' but the general public is. I also love how nobody gets the facts straight on the car. I drove the car to autozone once because I wanted to grab some oil and see what the thread size was for the lugnuts on it. I got into an argument with the guy behind the counter who "insisted" that it was an AMC. Yeah, AMC. It's not like I own the car or anything. I wouldn't know what make car I own! :3d_frown:

Last edited:

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
So do you still own a DeLorean? What was your reason to get it? Mine was initially the movies, but I bought it because it was one man's dream to make a car. Of course that same guy was the car's undoing, but we'll gloss over that!

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Hate to say it but the "I wanted the car because of the movie" is one of the things I dislike about other owners. Most are young geeks who seem right at home in their mother's basement. That and many feel JZD was some sort of God when he was little more than a manipulative crook with the morals of a junk yard dog.

I bought mine 10 years ago purely out of boredom as a project. Near pristine now but I rarely drive it. In fact I'm gonna sell soon. Tired of the attention it brings, good and bad. At least it's worth twice what I paid. I've no doubt whomever who buys it will be exactly as I described.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Hahaha yeah. I bought it from a middle eastern guy (his name was Faisal) who detailed it every morning. It was very clean, but he didn't know too much about the mechanical parts. He recharged the AC with that leak stopper r134 crap they sell at autozone so it turned to black death. $800 later and I had ac. He also put some stupid looking "projector" lights on the car. They illuminated everything except what was straight ahead. I changed those immediately. He also threw a wing on the back. That was the worst thing because he mounted it in the plastic surrounding the taillights. I am freaked out about drilling or cutting anything on my cars because that is permanent. Anyway, that was how my ownership was with it. A year spent undoing and fixing the "upgrades". Now he has another DeLorean, but this one is turbocharged and in a music video. And even more riced out...

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
That's it! Yeah, this is both of us leaving his house a few months before I sold the car. I found it on his youtube page. I was surprised he uploaded it. His is the one in front. Yes, I know they are both riced out. I was in the middle of unricing mine when this video was taken.
[video=youtube;8h66ngyhv3Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h66ngyhv3Q[/video]

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
I really felt like I had to wear a bag on my head whenever I drove it. The nice thing was that it got 30mpg on the highway and was very quiet at speed. It was a very nice gt car and was comfortable staying at 90 miles per hour because of the V8 gearing that transaxle had. I also liked the interior of it. The beam down the middle of the car meant you were kind of nestled in this little hole and it was quite comfortable to be there during long roadtrips.