The beast is back!!! 1.5JZ, HOLSET HX52,etc... LOTS OF PICS!!! NEW MAFIA MEMBER!

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
xzeror;1896393 said:
hmmm i have a 2jz on stock twins and.... im seriously thinking about joining the holset supra mafia haha.

So you could run it without a tune and have it be safe and not blow youre engine? I was always under the impression you need to get it tuned? Or is that when you change the size of the injectors?

you can put a bigger turbos on. I wouldnt do more than 8 to 10lbs without a tuner. But for slapping on a turbo and using stock computer there is nothing else needed till u increase boost. car will run fine and mpgs will go up since u wont always be in boost like the twins

wirelesstj

Oct 28, 2011
Arizona
IRACEMYCOPCAR;1896198 said:
Well its not exactly T4 but its close.... you will need to drill out the bolt holes on the turbo so they line up with a T4 manifold but its very minimal and a T4 gasket lines up fine. I see full boost by about 4000 RPM on my 1.5JZ but the turbo is a twin scroll and my drewgo manifold isnt so i may pick up a quick spool valve later.

nice, considering that the hx52 is a 67mm. im considering going hx52 when i go up to a 67mm rather than going with the typical t67 or precison turbo. i wonder where your spool would be at with a qsv??? holsets are awesome, i need to post my build thread up on here so i can be part of the holset mafia lol :D

cruzian7m

virgin islands native
Jul 31, 2005
phila,pa
Simply awesome! I am in the process of doing an Aristo 2jz swap into my 87 mk3. I am also going to be using the HX52 billet turbo. I already have BC264 cams and upgraded the fuel system minus the injectors. I will be on a Haltech standalone ecu. I was curious to know if you were using a 3in down pipe and if so how did you get it to work with the 4.75in turbine housing v-band? You have given me inspiration to complete this project.....you car sounds insane! Also...did you use a restrictor on the oil feed for your turbo?

IRACEMYCOPCAR

HOLSET MAFIA HX52
Jan 27, 2008
SOUTH CAROLINA
cruzian7m;1898649 said:
Simply awesome! I am in the process of doing an Aristo 2jz swap into my 87 mk3. I am also going to be using the HX52 billet turbo. I already have BC264 cams and upgraded the fuel system minus the injectors. I will be on a Haltech standalone ecu. I was curious to know if you were using a 3in down pipe and if so how did you get it to work with the 4.75in turbine housing v-band? You have given me inspiration to complete this project.....you car sounds insane! Also...did you use a restrictor on the oil feed for your turbo?

Thanks man, The HX52 is an awesome turbo you wont be disappointed with it!!
The turbine housing is an odd size i think its about 4.68in OD but its only 3.5in ID so i just searched around and found a flange that was as close as possible to the OD with a 4" ID. Then i just used a 4" to 3.5" adapter from NAPA to a 3.5in downpipe. I will say it wasnt cheap though i spent over $100 just for the flange and V band clamp. Another thing ive seen people do is weld a standard 4" flange onto the turbine housing and use that.
I dont use a restrictor on my turbo but i have a big drain, Holset's need as big of a drain as possible. You can check out the oil specs on holset.com

IRACEMYCOPCAR

HOLSET MAFIA HX52
Jan 27, 2008
SOUTH CAROLINA
swappedturboegg;1898710 said:
nice! love hx52 turbos suprised it only made 560 at 20 my 1.8 honda made low 500s at 20psi same turbo

It was a boost spike... there was literally no tuning. The first (base) run was 409whp at 11psi the second spiked to 20psi and made 566whp before we got out of it so the engine wouldnt blow.. this was by no means peak power it was just an accident. Im sure with tuning and more fuel itll be higher.. not to mention my cam gears are still set at zero so if i advance the exhaust cam about 4 degrees there is another 20+ hp in there... Ill be happy if it makes 600whp on 93 octane pump gas. It made 475rwhp at 14psi on the dyno.. i have it at about 15-16psi now and as you can see on my wideband in the last vid in post 23 of this thread its a very conservative (rich) tune so it has a lot more in it.

PS... any vids of your civic??? havent seen many running an HX52 just mostly DSM guys...

swappedturboegg

Nov 10, 2012
mi
heres a few pics/vids for ya.
p1898742_1.jpg

p1898742_2.jpg

p1898742_3.jpg

p1898742_6.jpg

bunch of vids on youtube at the track, had alot of problems this year should be much better next season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jaunmYzdTQ

and this is a supra forum so
p1898742_7.jpg

going in to supra honda k24
p1898742_8.jpg

cruzian7m

virgin islands native
Jul 31, 2005
phila,pa
Oh...ok. now i'm stoked to finish this project. My budget won't allow for the 3.5 exhaust at the moment....will try to make the 3 inch work. I will be keeping an eye on your ride. I was told that the Holsets hit hard when they come into boost...i am looking forward to that feeling..lol!

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
What a kick ass car! I love the sound. And is the gauge with the lights and data curve a wide band? awesome stuff, makes me want to go work on my hoopty

IRACEMYCOPCAR

HOLSET MAFIA HX52
Jan 27, 2008
SOUTH CAROLINA
cruzian7m;1898744 said:
Oh...ok. now i'm stoked to finish this project. My budget won't allow for the 3.5 exhaust at the moment....will try to make the 3 inch work. I will be keeping an eye on your ride. I was told that the Holsets hit hard when they come into boost...i am looking forward to that feeling..lol!

Yes it does hit hard!! its like an on/off switch.

scottiedawg66;1898904 said:
What a kick ass car! I love the sound. And is the gauge with the lights and data curve a wide band? awesome stuff, makes me want to go work on my hoopty

Thanks!! Yes that gauge you described is my wideband. The model is PLX DM-6. It gives me an easy to read light plus the exact number in the display and a real time graph. Its a pretty awesome gauge, it can even connect to other modules and display other things such as boost/ fluid pressures and tempratures. Here is a link if you would like to check it out: http://www.plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=MULTDM6