the almighty skyline

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
not to crush dcru's thread, but just something that ive thought about from time to time.

it bugs me how every kid looks at the skyline like it's some unattainable god of racing. everyone says "ooh, well if i had a skyline...", or "a skyline is my dream car" or so on. it kinda pisses me off that video games really close this matter.

don't get me wrong, the skyline is a beast of a car, but its not like nothing else competes.

anyone else?

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
People are fascinated with things that they don't have or things that are extremely rare.

Other examples:
Why some people like 1JZ's, why some people love JDM stuff, why men like women (‘cause they got things we don't), why women like men (‘cause we got things they don't), why diamonds are more expensive than water (and you can't even live without water, but water is not as scarce).

Then with that fascination, overrating/exaggeration follows…

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
Clip said:
not to crush dcru's thread, but just something that ive thought about from time to time.

it bugs me how every kid looks at the MKIV like it's some unattainable god of racing. everyone says "ooh, well if i had a MKIV...", or "a MKIV is my dream car" or so on. it kinda pisses me off that video games really close this matter.

don't get me wrong, the MKIV is a beast of a car, but its not like nothing else competes.

anyone else?

Tell me about it :biglaugh:

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
yeah, and when they release the skyline in 08 youll see all these kids riding in them and then theyll be played out...just like the nissans and the G35, not that im hating, but its true oh and same for the EVO's those are played out, because all these kids get the cars they want for thier grad gifts...thats why i like the late 80 early 90s cars

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
i drool over the gtr concept..........

when it comes out, if it is turbo and looks anything like the concept, itll be the ONLY new car (sports car) that i would buy.

if i had a choice, it would either be that car, or a mkiii. end of story.

darkandroid1234

What? ...Yaaassss!
May 10, 2006
Bradenton, FL
IMO the old skyline are nicer than the new GTRconcept, I have been a skyline fan for a long time and I think it kills the traditional look the skyline has carried.

GTR Vspec, MKIV & MkIII Supra, Silvia, 1st gen Aristo = my dream car collection.

Supraboostin

7m power
Mar 30, 2005
MIAMI
Clip said:

it bugs me how every kid looks at the skyline like it's some unattainable god of racing. everyone says "ooh, well if i had a skyline...", or "a skyline is my dream car" or so on. it kinda pisses me off that video games really close this matter.

don't get me wrong, the skyline is a beast of a car, but its not like nothing else competes.

anyone else?
i feel the same way

northsupra

Normally Insane
Mar 30, 2005
Norway
Well the skyline had a huge impact on motorsport, it won alot, they put restrictions on it and unfair penaltys and the car still won.

Just amazing.

Found a little something on wikipedia, but this is just a little top of the iceberg. I think it's an amazing car, but damn to many "wanna bees" and plastic racers is in to these cars, takes out the little special about owning one.
The somthing special that the mk3 supra has.

From wikipedia:
The GT-R's success in motor racing was formidable, particularly in the annual race at the Mount Panorama circuit in Bathurst, Australia, where the champion three years running was a GT-R (despite receiving additional weight penalties in years two and three due to its unbeatable performance), and in the Japanese GT series where it has remained dominant up to the present day.

No other race victories by the GT-R could escape without controversies, at the 1990 Macau Grand Prix Guia touring car race, the factory backed R32 driven by Masahiro Hasemi led the race from the start to the finishing line which caused a wave of protests by the European entrants. The following year, the car was forced to carry a weight penalty of 140 kg very much to his frustration and had to settle for fourth place against the top three DTM specification race winning BMW M3 and Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II. The GT-R's success at Mount Panorama in 1991 and 1992, both by Jim Richards, led to a change in formula regulations, which came to exclude turbocharged and four-wheel-drive cars in subsequent years. It also led indirectly to a move to the Super Touring Car category in the JTCC and the creation of the JGTC grand touring car series in Japan, where GT-Rs can only compete in rear-wheel drive form - and still win.

In the UK Andy Middlehurst took the Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32) to two consecutive championship wins in the National Saloon Car Cup. Other championship titles include the 1993 Spanish Touring Car Championship.

Troyota

I Love What You Do For Me
Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
You guys are all hating on the Skyline GT-R. We all know if you had an opportunity to own one, you would jump at the chance and be flaunting the pics all over this forum. The Skyline is a legend...just like the '69 Camaro SS, or any number of old pieces of American iron. I don't care for those cars and don't aspire to own any (unless given an offer I couldn't refuse). However, I sure don't hesitate to give them the respect they deserve. I don't think, just because everybody and thier brother seems to have "just" found the GT-R and now it seems played out, doesn't negate the fact that it is an awesomely performing, practically unattainable sports car with enormous potential. The way you guys talk about it with disgust, you'd think it was a minivan or 8 ton SUV w/ a four cylinder engine. IT IS A LEGEND...deal w/ it.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
we're not hating on the skyline, just the obsessive kids...

but yeah, its a damn nice car and id pick one up any chance id get, especially the r32s. its just that i dont think they're the best and say "well if i had a skyline i could kick any other car's ass"