The $2008 Grassroots challenge build-up thread

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
The cps must have worked, aside from looking awesome (badass job on the paint guys!) it was running low 14s in the drag comp yesterday. Hope you guys have a safe (and less eventful) trip back, Team Phostiva is headed back to TX this morning...

skipbarber

2008 Grassroots Challenge
Mar 26, 2008
Rockville-ish, Maryland
hey guys heres the update:
The cps worked flawlessly and the car felt great but traction was an issue on the dragstrip. We ended up with a 14.06 spinning through first no matter what. Our 60' wasn't great and we are confident that with some drag radials it will be a low low 13 sec car if not dip into the 12's once tuned.

Anyway, we ended up finishing 3rd in the concours portion of the show and we took home "Best Underhood Detail" and "Best Overall Appearence Package". Here are some pics that I have. There will be more to come along with some video. Sorry there aren't more we were pretty much working 20 hours out of the day if not more getting it prepped.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

skipbarber

Mar 26, 2008
Rockville-ish, Maryland
Just FYI: CPS's are the devil.

Anyways, I want to thank my team, this forum and everyone at grassroots for another amazing event. I can't wait to go back next year. As for the supra, we did better AND worse than last year, but we stole the show. Sadly (but fortunately) though, I think we have unanimously decided to retire our gorgeous MK3 from the budget challenge and turn it into something a little more frightening. (turbo upgrade, injectors, and 1 piece drive shaft here we come!). I wish luck had been on our side at the beginning because I know we could have done better. Needless to say though, our 3 awards made us more than happy.

-Edwin

PS: I encourage everyone to join us next year. We got the show, now someone has to get the drags and auto-x. :D

wesbeech

Beech Performance Motorsports
Feb 26, 2006
Akron Ohio
Dude that crank pulley has to go trust me. I ran one and it cost me a motor. Go stock or ati. You will regret it later if you dont.

Yblegal91t

it finally runs!
Apr 22, 2006
C1 outer
wesbeech;1426956 said:
Dude that crank pulley has to go trust me. I ran one and it cost me a motor. Go stock or ati. You will regret it later if you dont.

^ what he said. Those unorthodox crank pulleys are evil.

skipbarber

Mar 26, 2008
Rockville-ish, Maryland
^I guess the 2j swap will come sooner then :D

it's not a daily driven car and we needed as much power as possible on a very, very small budget of 2 grand and every bit helped. besides, how much dampening can we give our 19 year old stock crank pulley credit for considering the rubber is hard as a rock? If you can buy, build and race a supra for less than 2 grand and fit an ATI pulley in your budget, I'd be really impressed. We did our research and given our circumstances, the pulley stays.

wesbeech

Beech Performance Motorsports
Feb 26, 2006
Akron Ohio
skipbarber;1427019 said:
^I guess the 2j swap will come sooner then :D

it's not a daily driven car and we needed as much power as possible on a very, very small budget of 2 grand and every bit helped. besides, how much dampening can we give our 19 year old stock crank pulley credit for considering the rubber is hard as a rock? If you can buy, build and race a supra for less than 2 grand and fit an ATI pulley in your budget, I'd be really impressed. We did our research and given our circumstances, the pulley stays.

Summit racing 7m ati for 360.00 Pulley satys motor will go. The fact that it is a racecar and not a dd makes it even worse les cuze and alot of wot and high rpm. Just my 2cents

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
This is amazing, suprised there is not more comments.

You guys put in a LOT of work in an incredibly short amount of time. Congratulations on the awards :)

Funny videos as well. Your neighbours must hate you! That was the oldies reference?

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Said it a few times before, but awesome job guys! The car looked even more phenomenal in person, definitely doing the MKIII community well! Looking forward to seeing what you guys bring next year...

skipbarber

Mar 26, 2008
Rockville-ish, Maryland
dok33;1427701 said:
Said it a few times before, but awesome job guys! The car looked even more phenomenal in person, definitely doing the MKIII community well! Looking forward to seeing what you guys bring next year...

Thanks bro! I'm sorry we didn't get to check out your car more, we just had so much work to do! Sucks we really didn't even get to check out any of the cars. I see you already got your $2010 car lined up! haha. We've already thought about a few cars, but it's too soon to tell. We'd like to do something unique of course. Maybe something we can swap a 7M into :naughty:

The paint on the water neck and timing cover is actually black. It's that "flame proof" paint from the auto parts store. It's a little more 'flat' than the other flat colors. If you are looking for a good darkish grey color, the Cast Iron high temp paint is a really nice color. Just be sure to put on very light coats, cuz it's a runny color.

Thanks everyone for the supportive comments! It means a lot because we have over 1000 man-hours into this car in the past month and a half. Worked our asses off. I hope you guys also noticed the SupraMania love :icon_bigg , you've all been a big help these past two years, and we would've been hating life without your support and money, lol.

-Avi

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
congrats guys! i really admire the long nights and sleepless hours yet so much attention to detail. good job and good luck next year!