Testing a lsd

Aliass

Sep 30, 2009
Brisbane, Queensland
Hey,

Ive got an 88 Mk3 with the "sports pack" IE tems and i think a LSD. However i doubt its still working after 216,000km. I have the opportunity to purchase a new 3.9 torsen new (from another project supra). My question is , how do i tell if my current diff is still functioning?

I would assume that i should jack up the back end till both wheels are floating and then put the tranny in neutral then spin them till one locks?

I hope this is the right section to post this in.
(I did a few searches on both these forums and google , which elicited nothing useful.)

Last edited:

mk3sons

Sep 23, 2009
New Hampsire
Aliass;1426012 said:
Hey,

Ive got an 88 Mk3 with the "sports pack" IE tems and i think a LSD. However i doubt its still working after 216,000km. I have the opportunity to purchase a new 3.9 torsen new (from another project supra). My question is , how do i tell if my current diff is still functioning?

I would assume that i should jack up the back end till both wheels are floating and then put the tranny in neutral then spin them till one locks?

I hope this is the right section to post this in.
(I did a few searches on both these forums are google , which elicited nothing useful.)

do a burn out :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
You need to lock the driveshaft then have a helper hold one wheel while you try to rotate the other, this is the breakaway pressure of the LSD.

Worn out it will be very low.

Aliass

Sep 30, 2009
Brisbane, Queensland
IJ.;1426016 said:
You need to lock the driveshaft then have a helper hold one wheel while you try to rotate the other, this is the breakaway pressure of the LSD.

Worn out it will be very low.

Breakaway pressure?? also whats a safe way to lock the driveshaft?

I don't do burnouts in my car because A its an auto and B the only time i normally loose traction is when the turbo kicks in , in first gear. Lots of grip :D.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Stick it in park :)

If you want to get techie about it use a beam style torque wrench on the Hub centre nut and this will give you an exact breakaway range.

But as you're going to a Torsen jsut checking the LSD by hand as I described should be enough to confirm if it's still working or totally worn out (or if it's an LSD at all)

Aliass

Sep 30, 2009
Brisbane, Queensland
I thought that mk3's came with a torsen lsd as part of the package? Um Also if im purchasing a new one ( new but not fitted to the other blokes project supra - due to him running out of cash for his project) is there anything i can do to test it before its fitted?

Aliass

Sep 30, 2009
Brisbane, Queensland
Power slides galore? Im not the worlds best driver when it comes to driving fast. But i have heard lsd's do great thinks for standing starts and handling at speed.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Aliass;1426072 said:
Power slides galore? Im not the worlds best driver when it comes to driving fast. But i have heard lsd's do great thinks for standing starts and handling at speed.

No not at all, it'll turn in trailing throttle MUCH better without the understeer/push you get from an LSD and if it does light up the rears it'll stay in a straight line and not slide down the camber of the road.

As Poo says the only real downside of a T1 is they won't take big shock loads but with an auto you'll be fine, hell mine stayed together with a manual and 550rwhp so it comes down to driving style.