Tems

djpaak87

Aug 26, 2008
missouri
I recently installed TEMS struts and shocks into my 89 7mgte but my supra does not have TEMS stock. I was told that they could be manually adjusted and that this adjustment would not only stiffen/loosen the shocks but also lower the ride height. Is this true and how is it possible to adjust? any help would be great thanks.

Last edited:

djpaak87

Aug 26, 2008
missouri
thesupragod;1209777 said:
it will stiffen and loosen the dampening rate, but will not change the ride height.

ok but how do you manually adjust them? the suspension is all out of tune so adjusting it is my main concern.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
The tems shocks have a tab in the center of the shaft(top shock bolt)my tems shocks came with these little plastic pieces that slipped on top of the shock for non-tems cars and held the tab in the correct orientation for the setting you chose.And no it doesn't affect ride height.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
I believe the tsrm has a section in it on what orientation of the tab dictates the shock damping.Either under tems r & r or in the suspension section.

djpaak87

Aug 26, 2008
missouri
toy fanatic78;1210087 said:
The tems shocks have a tab in the center of the shaft(top shock bolt)my tems shocks came with these little plastic pieces that slipped on top of the shock for non-tems cars and held the tab in the correct orientation for the setting you chose.And no it doesn't affect ride height.

do you know where I might be able to find these plastic pieces or what their specific name is so that I can search for them?

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
djpaak87;1211772 said:
do you know where I might be able to find these plastic pieces or what their specific name is so that I can search for them?

My shocks had came with a set when I bought them,they are TRD's(KYB made) There were two sets,and they were two-sided (soft/medium,and medium/firm) basically you just turned the tab in the center of the shock and stuck these caps on the end to hold the tab at the desired setting.I don't know if other brands of shocks came with these,if I can find any of them I will pm you.

djpaak87

Aug 26, 2008
missouri
toy fanatic78;1211796 said:
My shocks had came with a set when I bought them,they are TRD's(KYB made) There were two sets,and they were two-sided (soft/medium,and medium/firm) basically you just turned the tab in the center of the shock and stuck these caps on the end to hold the tab at the desired setting.I don't know if other brands of shocks came with these,if I can find any of them I will pm you.

If i was to post a wanted ad what would I ask for? im not quite sure what to say these plastic pieces for setting the shock damping are called.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
I have not been able to find those little pieces,haven't went to check in my storage bin though.Not really sure what to call them,or if they are anything readily available.I just know my TRD shocks came with them,but I have had them for 6 yrs.Maybe post as "TEMS adjusters for non-TEMS cars".This is the part # off of my shocks,they are KYB brand made for TRD.Fronts are:48510-MZ282 Rears are :48530-MZ283.Only other thing I could suggest is to try to contact KYB about them.